• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PSa: Black Diamond Softshell jackets at Costco 26.99

Philpug

different company...you're talking about Black Diamond Equipment Ltd this is Black Diamond Sportswear.
I used to buy a substantial amount of logo fleece product from them for several years, good quality stuff, as someone already said most of its made in america and Malden Mills fleece. I bought these softshells for a resort logo program...good quality product (but they were made in Korea if I recall) and $27 was our cost on them...so that deal at costco is ~20% below the listed wholesale of the item. Its likely they are over runs or samples that costco picked up for a song...they'd sell for at least $69.95 or so in most shops

How do you think they compare to much higher end softshells?

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Construction of the Gatehouse/Castlerock Pub expansion has begun and in the shop all BD fleece is 50% off. Gotta make room for all the new stuff coming in next month. Polarmax, Camebak and Smartwool/Euro socks all 50% off. Come on up, check out the color, stop in, say hi to a couple of fellow zoners and save a bunkle! :smile:

How do you think they compare to much higher end softshells?

they lack some of the bells and whistles like zipper garages and h2o proof zippers and they don't have a gore-tex membrane like some of the $200+ softshells from TNF, Marmot, etc...but they're micro fleece lined, have a high collar, and a water resistant coating...they're more weather worthy than most of the $100 softshells. For $27 its a great deal even if you only wear it as your commuter coat. All this is based on the piece I was buying from them over a year ago...I haven't seen the costco one in person, but the pic looks just like it. Still, for $27 its hard to go wrong.

gmcunni

Heading to Costco this afternoon. Hopefully they'll have some left in our local store. My wife has a thing for purses and shoes, i have a thing for jackets :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Update.

Sad news. I had not heard anything in a while about these folks and went on to their Facebook page to find:

After 40 years Double Diamond Sportswear is closing their doors. We will miss our customers and appreciate your business over the years.
All remaining blankets, fleece and softshell jackets and vests are reduced to $10.00. Limited sizes available and all sales are final. Cash and carry only, sorry no shipping.
Everything must go including office desks, files, bookcases. All at $10.00.
Stop by and check out our free tables full of hangers, banker boxes, desk organizers, staplers, office supplies, etc.
Thanks for a great 40 years!

:sadwalk:

Well, Bittersweet in a way since it looks like the owner just finally retired.

It's kind of appropriate that I just bought my newest Black Diamond/Double Diamond item only a few weeks back at Snowmass.....a nice softshell vest on clearance with the Aspen/Snowmass logo. Love it. And it was only a few weeks from the 20th anniversary of my first purchase at Black Diamond...that was a vest as well.

I'm sure that DHS and others who were in Vermont in the 1990's remember Black Diamond. They had a hole-in-the-wall shop on Route 100 in Waterbury Center on the way north to Stowe. They sold their outerwear and custom T-Shirts that you could make to order with the different graphics.

They also had a retail store in the University Mall...right in the corner by the Guest Services Desk. It was a nice shop that showed all their stuff.

I wax on because the store and their gear played a role in my "coming of age" as an outdoors sports enthusiast. First, I remember first learning about Sugarbush there in 1993 or so when they were promoting Warren Miller's "Black Diamond Rush" movie. I grabbed a trail map and an oversized "Sugarbush" Magazine that I still have from the store. As I rode home with my family, a young impressionable teenager then, I read about the Egan Brothers and stared at awesome action shots and the map of the area. I wanted to ski there so bad...and I did for several years in college, law school, and after.

But their gear was the first I could afford to buy for hiking, camping, skiing, and snowshoeing. In 1993 my Grandfather died and it really was a big blow to me. I inherited some of his outdoor gear, including his handmade wooden snowshoes. That next summer I mowed my Grandmother's lawn....my "first" real job. With the money I earned from that and other odd jobs I bought my first REAL outdoor item of my own with my own money....it was a Black Diamond Polartec 200 fleece vest that I wore pretty much everyday that year and often as a layer skiing. It lasted me a damn long time. In typical Black Diamond fashion the price was "marked down" in pencil. After that I bought two more fleece jackets, a pair of fleece pants for insulation, and a "3-in-1" ski jacket that I still have and use to this day.

In those years they were ahead of their time. They were one of the first to really embrace the "Polartec" fleece made by Malden Mills. They also used other experimental fabrics and materials. As someone said in another thread the thing that was extra special was that the MADE their own stuff in Vermont....first in Waterbury and then in Barre/Berlin.

But like everything else times changed. After I went graduated from College and moved away for a brief time they began to outsource their stuff. Sometime around 2005 or so they closed their retail store in the Mall. They went into wholesale (go to Sierra Trading Post for their leftovers) and then a small online store of their own. As others said, they did logo stuff for resorts and sold Costco for a number of years.

In 2010 I stumbled upon an ad in a local paper in Waterbury...turns out that for years they did a "warehouse" sale for locals--cash and carry--during November and December. It was an institution...like the "Darn Tough" sock sale weekends. I decided to go and look after skiing one day. I was a kid in a candy store...and walked out with a lot of nice stuff.

Since then I've seen their stuff at Snowbird, Alta, and at Snowmass. I have a couple fleece pullovers logoed for Snowbird and a fleece vest from Snowbird. This spring I found a vintage Sugarloaf/USA vest from probably the late 1990's made by the old school Black Diamond...."Made in Vermont." Got it in my office and wear it. I always said to folks out here that it was nice to find something here from Vermont...with Utah on it as well.

It was that Fall sale that made me go to their Facebook Page....as well as the fact that Costco does not have their jackets this year. I was hoping that they would be open on the weekend I am in Vermont this fall. It turns out that they will not be.

Rest in Peace, Black Diamond/Double Diamond. You played a big role in my outdoor life. :D