• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

thetrailboss

Staff member
2004 according to the ACT 250 database. I couldn't find specifics in that older approval of the plans for exactly which part was widened and by how much though (looks like maybe not all the files pertaining to the approval were uploaded to the ACT250 db for that entry).

Yes. That's it. I remember skiing it the last year I was in college and then coming back in 2005 or so to find it dramatically different. Right below the birch glades they widened it.

As to terrain control, it is frustrating to see Inverness and Brambles closed so often. But if folks want some perspective, go to Burke now on a midweek day and you will routinely find multiple trails roped off with BMA gates set up and NOBODY training.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I would also be happy if GMVS expanded their lodge so the Mt Ellen lodge wasn't stuffed with racers and their bags strewn everywhere. They can walk over and get food but bring it back to the GMVS lodge.

Exactly. The issue is, IIRC, that GMVS has their own lodge and guest programs use the main lodge as their base. As to lodge and skiing etiquette, the entitlement of the race crowd create a lot of issues. I will say that only in Vermont did I see lots of ski racers through bags and gear around and leaving a mess. At Snowbird I see some of that on race days, but not nearly the same level.

cdskier

I don't see anything wrong with leaving skis on the ground. I have had more issues with my stuff getting moved, pushed over and generally not cared for while in a rack

Don't see an issue? Really? I've never had my skis moved from a rack or pushed over in my many years of skiing.

Equipment on the ground that I have to walk around? I will make no real attempt to kick it or step on it but I will not make an attempt to walk around it and if I step on it or kick it I don't feel bad.

This. No one should have to attempt to walk around/through a ski minefield in front of any lodge.

If there's a bike rack in front of a store, is it ok to instead of using the rack simply leave your bike on the sidewalk in front of the store? It really is the same concept.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Don't see an issue? Really? I've never had my skis moved from a rack or pushed over in my many years of skiing.

This. No one should have to attempt to walk around/through a ski minefield in front of any lodge.

If there's a bike rack in front of a store, is it ok to instead of using the rack simply leave your bike on the sidewalk in front of the store? It really is the same concept.

Exactly.

skiur

Equipment on the ground that I have to walk around? I will make no real attempt to kick it or step on it but I will not make an attempt to walk around it and if I step on it or kick it I don't feel bad.

It kinda depends where on the ground people leave there shit, if it is in a clearly stupid spot then I have no probblem kicking some poles out of the way, even if they do end up 20 feet away from the skis that happen to go the other way. When the person comes back and has to spend a few minutes finding their shit, then lets hope they learned a lesson on where to leave their shit.

SkiingInABlueDream

Not quite an apple to apples comparison, but interesting anyway.
If ppl left bikes out like skis there'd be a lot more stolen bikes. Maybe we need to encourage ski theft![emoji23]

benski

It kinda depends where on the ground people leave there shit, if it is in a clearly stupid spot then I have no probblem kicking some poles out of the way, even if they do end up 20 feet away from the skis that happen to go the other way. When the person comes back and has to spend a few minutes finding their shit, then lets hope they learned a lesson on where to leave their shit.

At mount Ellen by 12 there are skis all over the place behind the lodge. It’s a huge mess and the racks are only half full.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The disrespect shown by racers really should be policed by their coaches. It's a big problem at Attitash as well. If I were a coach the rules would be pretty simple. Act like a slob and you forfeit your bib and can watch the race for the day.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

gregnye

I 100% agree that ski clutter is annoying, but I also find this comment amusing because recently (just this year!) in cities (like the Boston area), bike-share companies such as Limebike have a business model where you can leave the rental bike anywhere (sidewalk, street, lawn, it doesn't matter). Numerous people have complained about these bikes cluttering up their front yards. Some people even are throwing them in the Charles River! :)

It's basically just like the ski-clutter of racers in front of lodges, just throughout these metro areas!

thetrailboss

Staff member
The disrespect shown by racers really should be policed by their coaches. It's a big problem at Attitash as well. If I were a coach the rules would be pretty simple. Act like a slob and you forfeit your bib and can watch the race for the day.

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

No one should have to attempt to walk around/through a ski minefield in front of any lodge.

Oh, this topic again. There's a special place in hell for people who just dump their skis on the ground (or parents who dont teach their kids proper respect).

I will say, however, occasionally (RARELY) the ski area is at fault; for instance, this year at Jay Peak towards the end of the season they pulled a ton of racks, and on a busy Saturday there genuinely was nowhere to put your skis. So people laid them all over the rock wall, against the exterior, all over the ground, etc...

BenedictGomez

The disrespect shown by racers really should be policed by their coaches. It's a big problem at Attitash

Where ISN'T it a "big problem" when racer kids descend upon a property?

I've noticed this for years, but I've never understood it from a sociological perspective.

1) Are racer kids simply raised more entitled to do whatever they want, with no control or accountability?
2) Are racer kids statistically significantly more likely to have bad parents?
3) Did it evolve culturally that racer kids can toss their crap anywhere they want (seems unlikely)?

I. Dont. Get. It.

But the "racer crap tossed everywhere", occurrence is undeniably real.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The one argument I've heard in support of the 11 year old wanna be next Bode Miller or Lindsey Vonn is that leaving the skis on the ground is somehow better for the base/wax of the skis. If this is true for junior to shave an additional .0001 seconds off their race time, then it should fall on the mountain to fence off a nice little area for the racers.

machski

The one argument I've heard in support of the 11 year old wanna be next Bode Miller or Lindsey Vonn is that leaving the skis on the ground is somehow better for the base/wax of the skis. If this is true for junior to shave an additional .0001 seconds off their race time, then it should fall on the mountain to fence off a nice little area for the racers.

There may be some truth to this, especially on a warmer day. To keep the bases at the snowpack temp. But what about the lift ride up if not a surface lift?

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

There may be some truth to this, especially on a warmer day. To keep the bases at the snowpack temp. But what about the lift ride up if not a surface lift?

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Well then it seems racers should be banned from the chairs and only allowed to ride surface lifts in the name of getting the best time!

rtjcbrown

I think that the "Benign Neglect" shown by ski resorts towards this minefield of equipment that the average skier must negotiate to get to the lodge will inevitably end when some poor soul will trip, fall, and get seriously hurt, and then sue the ski area.
Not the same, but similar is the stroller problem in Disney World. Parents would just leave them anywhere, leading to clogged up pathways and entrances. This was addressed by creating roped off corrals for stroller parking, and a worker posted outside to direct people where to park the strollers, and to move the ones left by those who choose to think the rules don't apply to them.

tumbler

Hire someone to pick my skis up and rack them then unrack and place on ground for me and clean off my boots when I am ready...