• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown 12/29

2knees

met up with greg today around 2 or so. very expensive afternoon as i had no gloves or goggles with me and bought those in the ski shop. bumps were firm to say the least. good for practice. at least thats what i kept telling myself. lines have changed significantly since i was last there. still better then sitting at work all day though. Greg had his first night of race announcing to do. that probably would've been more entertaining then anything else.

Greg

Staff member
Greg had his first night of race announcing to do. that probably would've been more entertaining then anything else.

Actually I'm the timer for the Tuesday night CISC races. There is another person that does the announcing. Sundown spares no expense. ;) Seriously, it would be almost impossible to both time and announce. Pretty cool gig though; all computer controlled with sensors and software I need to learn. I work with some really cool people too. So, it seems now I officially work in the ski industry... :lol: ;) It turns out johnnypoach has a gig with the racing too. He was a bit surprised to see me in the race shack.

Yeah, Temptor was a tad rough today. I've seen it worse though. Still edgeable, but just another take it easy skill builder session vs. a let 'em fly day. Good skiing with you Pat. After you left, I took a run on Gunny and then hit Sensation where they had a rail and a small booter set up. Only hit the jump a few times. Then back to Gunny for a few more runs. Actually nice to get on some sustained pitch. Lots of variable surface, hard pack, LSGR and death cookies. Fun to try to maintain some semblance of form. Got back out after the racing for two more runs on Gunny.

Got some vid I'll throw together in a few.

Greg

Staff member
Vid

I figure since we went tthrough the effort of shooting some footage, I'd upload the vid. Here it is, FWIW:

On that stupid little spill I managed to tweak a knee, scrape my wrist, strain my groin and aggravate my lower back. Everything but the knee feel fine now. :roll: Wanna play, gotta pay sometimes...

bvibert

Staff member
I hate to break it to ya Pat, but those expensive ski shop goggles work much better when you pull them down over your eyes... ;)

Greg's well on his way to becoming a racing snob, taking several runs down gunny and all. What's next, running through the gates?? :roll:

Greg

Staff member
Greg's well on his way to becoming a racing snob, taking several runs down gunny and all. What's next, running through the gates?? :roll:

You never know. I've been in a major skiing funk this season. I've been having trouble getting my bump skiing to come together the way I'd hoped despite all the time on them. Maybe I'll be better off on the race course. In fact, I've been getting my carve on more and more on Exhibition this season. I think racing is soon in my future.

Nah.....I'll stick to ice bumps. ;)

2knees

yikes, that was ugly. i looked like the hunchback of notre dame in that.

STAND UP!!!!!

Greg

Staff member
yikes, that was ugly. i looked like the hunchback of notre dame in that.

STAND UP!!!!!

Puh-lease. :roll: If I didn't know what those bumps were really like, I would have trouble finding much fault at all in your skiing. I, on the other hand, am easy to pick out - just look for the guy in the red fleece skiing as slow as a dead snail stuck in glue. :???: Feeble. :roll:

Sucking down vodka like an alcoholic Russian trying to numb this knee. Seems to be working... :razz:

2knees

you're right, it wasnt the worse i've ever seen them, but it wasnt far off either. Your crash seemed much nastier in person, probably cause i could hear some bones crunch, or was it the nuclear crust you broke through.

the fact that they have left them there is more important. Sundown gets it. period.

Greg

Staff member
the fact that they have left them there is more important. Sundown gets it. period.

In-effin-deed!

Maybe a foot and a half of natty and some snowmaking and by Saturday, all will be right with the mogul world. :spread:

BTW, I tried to imagine what the T2B Gunny bumps are going to be like on my several runs on it today. All I can say is the spring scene at the beloved Sundown is going to be nutty.

Grassi21

the wife and i skied 11 until 1. it was her first day out. compared to her first day last year she did great. we mixed it up on Tom's, Canyon, and Nor Easter. I did take one run down Temptor. The firm bumps made it a no brainer to hang with the wife the whole time and work on some drills. I had my stance so tight I was clicking my tips together. I was also cranking out as many turns as possible. Considering how much bourbon I drank and how much I puked the night before I had a great time at Sundown.

2knees

It turns out johnnypoach has a gig with the racing too. He was a bit surprised to see me in the race shack.

not sure how i missed this....

You're stuck in that little shack for 3 hours with Johnny?????

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:lol:

Greg

Staff member
not sure how i missed this....

You're stuck in that little shack for 3 hours with Johnny?????

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:lol:

No, not quite. He's sorta the jack of all trades guy. Setting up the course, tearing it down, etc. More of an on snow gig it seems. When racing starts for real, the announcer and I are going to need everyone to stay out of the shack. That's the level of concentration required to pull this off, especially dual races. It's going to be a pretty intense job to keep track of everything and these guys take this seriously so I don't want to screw it up.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
the wife and i skied 11 until 1. it was her first day out. compared to her first day last year she did great. we mixed it up on Tom's, Canyon, and Nor Easter. I did take one run down Temptor. The firm bumps made it a no brainer to hang with the wife the whole time and work on some drills. I had my stance so tight I was clicking my tips together. I was also cranking out as many turns as possible. Considering how much bourbon I drank and how much I puked the night before I had a great time at Sundown.
Yay! You got your wife out skiing again! :D Sounds like you had an interesting night the night before.. :eek:

Trekchick

I figure since we went tthrough the effort of shooting some footage, I'd upload the vid. Here it is, FWIW:

On that stupid little spill I managed to tweak a knee, scrape my wrist, strain my groin and aggravate my lower back. Everything but the knee feel fine now. :roll: Wanna play, gotta pay sometimes...
Oooo, ice bumps, how fun!
:-?

2knees

i think it sounds worse then it was.

you can see greg inch past a dad and his kid in the video. some total idiot brought two little kids down it. they were both totally freaked out and just did not want to be there. it was so sad to watch. the guy was kind of yelling at one of his daughters to "just go". his other daughter got near the bottom and wiped out and just layed there till they got down and reached her.

Yeah, its just sundown and all, but that run on that day was no place for those poor kids.