• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington = EPIC FAIL. Late March 2012 no snowmaking edition.

bigbob

I skied Killington on Saturday AM. Started at 8 AM at Superstar. Only one way down early since grooming did not occur on Superstar and Lower Skylark. The snow had refrozen and was not ready yet. Had a good hour, then the crowds grew. Still only one way down. Narrow areas on Bittersweet, loose granular was getting scraped down to pond ice with piles of sand (FG). Slow skiers were starting to choke up the slopes. it was getting somewhat dangerous in spots. When I got to the bottom I expressed my concerns to A "Ski Ambassador" who was standing at the lift entrance. He seemed to give two shits about what I had to say. Three of us jumped into the car and went over to Bear where crowding was less of an issue. Quit at noon and did not ski the rest of the day.
There was little snow left to farm to widen the narrow spots on the trails. Superstar has adequate snow for awhile, but they should spend a little money on snowmaking to widen and enhance the base on Lower Bittersweet. The have shut down all sorts of lifts early, the money budgeted for electricity should go to blowing a small amount of additional snow.
I realize last weeks weather was so typical of this past winter and not a normal winter, but unless the limit ticket sales I feel they should at least try and enhance what is left of there terrain.
I was going to upgrade to a full pass this year and forgo my New England pass, but now i think I will stay with the Blackout and continue with the New England silver pass for Boyne resorts in the east.

skiadikt

And even with this, the vast majority of K regulars here on AZ will still be at K next year B$ching about the same basic things they always seem to. If you're that pissed off about what K is TODAY, then leave and take your business someplace else. Otherwise get used to the fact the Pres Smith is NEVER coming back, Superstar will more than likely NEVER have 30 feet or so of base on it again and that your season now is 6 to 7 months instead of 9 months. Some of you are really starting to sound likely a bunch of whiny, spoiled brats who need a nap!

K is a great mountain, unlike any in the East for what it offers in terms of variety. But things change over time, that's just life. If you can't change it back, then you might as well reasses if you really wan to be at a place that more and more seems to make so many of you miserable more than it makes you happy

unfortunately TODAY, due to real estate commitments & friends who also have real estate who we've been skiing at k with since the last-80's, just picking up and leaving isn't that easy - as you as a property owner know full well whether it's your mt snow condo or ct home. and many of the whiners & complainers who you're incessantly whining & complaining about are in the same boat. consider yourself lucky to be at a mtn with progressive as opposed to regressive management.

AND some of the whining & complaining did get heard as management reversed field on a number of their initial moves.

btw no one's forcing you to rubberneck at these killington threads.

Highway Star

HighwayStar, the most recent of those threads you are using as examples is already 2 months old. Two of those threads are from last season. If that is the best you can do then you just proved my point.

I also like the way you respond to my complaint about excessive posting by adding two more posts on the subject. Good job!

With regards to Kzone, of course there is a lot of complaining there. It is KillingtonZone after all. That is where most of your complaining belongs. When you do so much of it here it just make us all look bad.

Are you a killington skier? For how long? Or actually an employee or otherwise a shill poster? Regardless, I suggest you take your head out of the sand. Killington has been making very unpopular operational decisions since before POWDR took over 5 years ago, and people have been complaining about it online for just as long.

Your stance on this issue is the minority one, and not supported by reality. The ones who look bad here are POWDR Corp, SP Land, E2M Capital, and Killington Management.

Killington is a very popular topic here on alpinezone, otherwise people would not be posting in the treads. Proof is in the pudding. Just because I start many of them is not particularly relevant.

Perhaps, you're "new to the internet", so let me explain how things work here on the internet:

If you don't feel it's worth discussing, feel free to not post in the threads. Nobody is making you.

I'm not breaking any rules, making personal attacks, starting flame wars, distorting the truth, trolling or spamming. I'm expressing my opinion, repeatedly, in a privately owned forum offered for public use.

Oh, and thanks again for the free bump you're going to give by replying to this thread.

Gilligan

HighwayStar, you wrote about me: "Your stance on this issue is the minority one, and not supported by reality."

I think you are confused as to what my stance is, so let me clarify. My stance is that you creating and excessively posting these Killington=Fail type threads has changed the argument from "Killington" to "can you believe that HighwayStar is doing it again?" The fact that the mods keep merging your threads is proof that I am not alone in this thought. You think you are helping to fix the problems we have with Killington, but instead you are making them worse. Because of you many otherwise valid complaints are dismissed as "that guy is just being a jerk again."

That is my issue. Enjoy your bump.

Robbski

Kind of so many to spend so much time and effort in seeing to the dietary needs of the troll population.

Highway Star

HighwayStar, you wrote about me: "Your stance on this issue is the minority one, and not supported by reality."

I think you are confused as to what my stance is, so let me clarify. My stance is that you creating and excessively posting these Killington=Fail type threads has changed the argument from "Killington" to "can you believe that HighwayStar is doing it again?" The fact that the mods keep merging your threads is proof that I am not alone in this thought. You think you are helping to fix the problems we have with Killington, but instead you are making them worse. Because of you many otherwise valid complaints are dismissed as "that guy is just being a jerk again."

Duly noted, and I appriciate your opinion.

Thanks for the free bump!

Highway Star

And just to be clear, it's nothing more than what I posted in the other thread:

I'm just calling them out on every poor decision they make.

You're welcome to look at their facebook page and see that I'm not the only one complaining. Since I do not participate on facebook, Alpinezone is my prefered venue. Maybe I just post more often than others.

http://www.facebook.com/killingtonresort

Mother Nature is dropping in with some snow right now at Killington. A little reminder that winter ain't over yet.

Miguel Figueroa When are u guys planning closing ? 7 hours ago

Killington Resort ‎Miguel Figueroa - All depends on Mother Nature. 7 hours ago

Shawn Crane Yeah it is, now go get them mtb trails ready!!! 7 hours ago · 1

Mike Valletta With any luck, that little could turn into a blizzard. What I would give for that! 7 hours ago

Aaron Browne How many runs do u have open today? 7 hours ago

Mike Valletta Aaron, mobile snow report is showing 4 trails all expert 7 hours ago

Jennifer Mead Adams Are you making snow now that its cold enough? I hear jay, Sunday river and Sugarloaf have turned on the guns. 7 hours ago · 5

Jeremy Felt With those prices and the terrain available...Winter IS over 7 hours ago · 2

Jonathan Manganaro Killington Resort - It isnt just up to mother nature I remember when Killington would be FIRST to OPEN and LAST to CLOSE they had all year to blow a ton of snow in different spots I know it costs money but that's what the skiers n riders want and that's who come to your mountain. If there is very little snowfall during the year there should be double the snowmaking or however you figure to open as much terrain as possible. I know this was a terrible winter/odd winter but Killington supposedly has one of the "most extensive snow making systems" in the east." Killington will always be my home/Favorite mountain but i find this season a bit unacceptable , Sunday river posted there making snow tonight idk if thats true or what but I know temps are dropping this week and there are other mountains open without having to walk etc. Loon-25, Stowe-19, Saddleback-15 ,Sunday River-54 6 hours ago · 5

Keith Senko Jr. BLOW MORE SNOW ! it an embrassment that the most respected mountain in the east has the least open. Killington is the hardcores mtn, not a destination 6 hours ago · 9

Connor Zabko How much snow do you have so far? 6 hours ago

Peter W Houlihan I agree, blow some snow! 6 hours ago · 1

Kristina Perry Agreed. Understandable that you had a rough winter. But damn try to make up for it and stay open as long as possible. If these other resorts can make snow why can't u guys. I could see why u don't when it's 75 degrees out. But temps dropped this week so turn on the guns! 6 hours ago · 4

Richard Quist The beast is a kitten 6 hours ago · 2

Paul Sweeney Funny... No response to any of those strings!!!! 6 hours ago

Alec Chlastawa Any chance of making snow this week just like Jay Peak, Sugarloaf, Sunday River,Loon, etc..?? 6 hours ago · 4

Mike Halliday If Killington doesn't make a little snow this week maybe I'll buy a pass somewhere else that does make snow for it's consumers. 5 hours ago · 2

Killington Resort We won’t be making any additional snow during what appears to be a brief snowmaking window this week. We have made a lot of snow in the Superstar area and that snow is holding up well considering the week of record temps we just had. We plan to maintain that snow the best we can and keep the lift spinning through April or as long as Mother Nature allows. 5 hours ago · 1

Robert McDevitt Thanks for the update..superstar alone is a great workout...and thankyou for the umbrella bars 5 hours ago · 1

Tim Ryan Now that's not very Beastly. 5 hours ago · 2

Jason Smith That's what happens when resorts get bought and sold. They cut corners at every chance to make profit. It's more efficient to shut it down then to spend money to stay open another week or two. 5 hours ago · 1

Andrew Leahy More Please!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 hours ago

Killington Resort ‎Jason Smith - You do realize that we are only one of nine resorts still open in the Northeast and of those, we are the furthest south? We're not shutting down. 5 hours ago · 6

Evan Cucé Not a huge fan of K-Mart, but I gotta come to their defense here. It makes no sense to blow more snow. Yes, some other mountains are going to blow some snow on existing terrain, but honestly it's not going to improve much. A couple of cooler nights with current conditions at Kton is not going to open any new terrain, just waste a lot of time/money/effort to slightly prolong the life of a couple trails. Yeah it was a sucky winter with the perfect storm of lack of snowfall and record warmth in March. Time to get the bikes tuned up, and dream of big dumps come next winter 4 hours ago · 4

Jack Durney Bring your ice skates !!! 4 hours ago

Kevin P Hahn I hope this (fluke) early spring allows killington resort to get a jump on the peak project so they can get it done before the snow flys next season 4 hours ago · 1

Art Malatzky Question for Killington - Why not open the peak walkway and the K-1 and run as long as you can in the spring like you run early season in the fall? The snow will hold better up high and you'd have a better product worth selling, along with keeping your customers somewhat happier. Killington, with its elevation and snowmaking advantages should always be the "last man standing" in the east. 4 hours ago · 4

Dan E-k Why aren't you making snow? So bummed. 3 hours ago · 1

Cade Duval Might be the furthest south but still have one of the highest elevations. Jay Peak is blowing snow 3 hours ago

Matthew Fatcheric You're going to lose money...Penny wise. Dollar foolish. Appeasing the paying customers is what its all about. Powdr simply doesnt get this. They pick what they want to do and simply do that, with no regard for who actually pays the bills. Its been done at nearly every resort they've taken over. They did a great job so far in Park City with not renewing the lease on the land they use. Now using the court of public opinion to make it like some evil Company from Canada (Talisker) is trying to mess them up. Talisker only wants fair value for their land. POWDR..you RUINED what was once the "Beast of the East" poor form for a resort i once called home. 3 hours ago · 3

Matthew Fatcheric Oh yeah and all those resources you put in for the "dew Tour" Yeah im sure they didnt take ANYTHING away from you producing a product for the paying public...If you think I, or anyone else for that matter, believes that I have a bridge in NYC to sell you. 3 hours ago · 2

Kevin Stojda The least in the East? 3 hours ago · 1

Matthew Fatcheric and not for nothing, even though i dont call it my "home mtn" anymore I still have a stake in what Killington does since i still own and not rent out my condo at Pinnacle. I am VESTED in the Killington area. 3 hours ago

Samantha Grist thank you winter! 3 hours ago

Michael Nerenburg Killington should offer some discounts early next year to people who got stuck with the K57's. Like make each 1 a 25 dollar coupon for example. For the last 3 weekends people have been selling them. Killington must have had alot go unused. I have a seasons pass but I know people who got stuck with them. 3 hours ago · 1

Alec Chlastawa I guess no snow making means no longest season in the east. Temps seem favorable for moderate production.48 hourse of snowmakin could add some serious acre ft of snow to superstar 3 hours ago · 2

Steve Currie Disappointing that K won't blow any snow this week. Yesterday the rumor was rampant at Peak and many other spots that K would blow some snow. Oh well, maybe this colder weather will at least allow you to move the Superstar whales around a bit and improve what's left. 3 hours ago

Jeff Weiss Killington, can't you see you've got a core base that wants you to go late season...Now you've got the Umbrella Bar, your new vehicle for your new source of revenue when you don't sell many tickets...throw in live music on weekends...Wow, what a winning combination...blow a little snow now...the national televison exposure you can't buy when you open early/close late! 3 hours ago · 2

Michael Nerenburg Saturday 2100 of 2700 skiers were seasons pass holders. Staying open isn't cost effective. They already have out money. And killington spent their snowmaking budget in January. This was a crappy season. And skiing this past weekend was crappy. Bad conditions and everyone was on top of each other. 2 hours ago

Matthew Fatcheric Michael..sure thats always the case on late spring weekends but do you just ignore the season pass holders? Without them you're going out of business altogether. 2 hours ago

Matthew Fatcheric I wonder how many they lost to resorts with higher trail counts and further north? 2 hours ago

Ira Berkowitz I guess Killington doesn't believe in free speech. My post about another resort making snow while "the beast" does nothing was deleted. I guess they can't take the heat on the mountain or on facebook. about an hour ago · 2

Killington Resort ‎Ira Berkowitz - Your post was deleted because you linked to a web site. 59 minutes ago

Rob Davis Killington doesn't seem to care about its customers anymore. We want spring skiing. I choose Killington for it's early and late skiing, what is going on? Sunday River is making snow and not you? Please explain why the spring doesn't matter? 57 minutes ago · 1

Killington Resort Our commitment to providing a good season of skiing and riding starts at the beginning of the year by getting open as early as possible with good trail coverage. Our investment in the Peak Walkway and subsequently being the first to open this year (Oct. 29) and an early opening last year are evidence of our commitment.

Despite the record setting and above average temperatures most of the winter, we made as much snow this year as we have in any of the past four years. But, with the warmer temps we were not able to cover as many runs. Still, our Mountain Operations Team provided very good surface conditions in most of the weather scenarios we were dealt this season.

Now that we have colder snow temperatures, the grooming crew can begin pushing up and improving the extra snow we have made on Superstar for spring skiing. We will not be making snow in the temp window that is currently on us. The amount that could be made, the duration of cold temperatures and the subsequent expense to produce this low quantity of snow does not make business sense.

While we understand that not all of our loyal guests will be happy with every tough decision we have had to make this season, we hope that our guests can reflect on the season as a whole and see the hard work Killington has done to make this season an enjoyable one. As of today, no other resort in the East has provided more ski/ride days this season than Killington Resort. We think that speaks volumes about our commitment to our guests and pass holders. We will remain open through April or until Mother Nature says no more. 53 minutes ago · 1

Matthew Fatcheric Id really like to believe that you blew as much snow as any other season (since you've been in control POWDR) but find it hard to buy into. All the resources you used for the "dew tour" evidently took an effect on the rest of the mountain. Now this could be due to lack of staffing or other factors but either way all that snow went to waste except for ONE WEEKEND....also how can you kill off one of the biggest events of the year but killing BMMC? Its just ssad..what was once the PREMIER destination in the east..is no more. I like many others long for the old days or Preston Smith and even ASC. 45 minutes ago

Liam Clark dont take peoples crap killington there we go the mtn is fine 40 minutes ago

Art Malatzky Killington Marketing and Communications people are often put in the unenviable position of being paid to defend the indefensible. They're clearly earning their pay today. 31 minutes ago

Jeff Weiss Killington, yes; you may have the longest season so far this year but that does not mitigate the fact that for the last several years you've closed the mountain with mid-winter conditions.
You are to be applauded with opening the mountain early this year...it is huge for skiers and the community at large...but there's a long tradition here which says go to memorial weekend...try it next year..you didn't build that beautiful umbrella bar for it to watch Superstar melt idly by, did you? And thank you for keeping Bear open last week/weekend..
It was the best skiing all year! 5 minutes ago

mister moose

I skied Killington on Saturday AM. Started at 8 AM at Superstar. Only one way down early since grooming did not occur on Superstar and Lower Skylark. The snow had refrozen and was not ready yet. Had a good hour, then the crowds grew. Still only one way down. Narrow areas on Bittersweet, loose granular was getting scraped down to pond ice with piles of sand (FG). Slow skiers were starting to choke up the slopes. it was getting somewhat dangerous in spots. When I got to the bottom I expressed my concerns to A "Ski Ambassador" who was standing at the lift entrance. He seemed to give two shits about what I had to say. Three of us jumped into the car and went over to Bear where crowding was less of an issue. Quit at noon and did not ski the rest of the day.
There was little snow left to farm to widen the narrow spots on the trails. Superstar has adequate snow for awhile, but they should spend a little money on snowmaking to widen and enhance the base on Lower Bittersweet. The have shut down all sorts of lifts early, the money budgeted for electricity should go to blowing a small amount of additional snow.
I realize last weeks weather was so typical of this past winter and not a normal winter, but unless the limit ticket sales I feel they should at least try and enhance what is left of there terrain.
I was going to upgrade to a full pass this year and forgo my New England pass, but now i think I will stay with the Blackout and continue with the New England silver pass for Boyne resorts in the east.

Agree. This would extend the life of the only groomer in the current Spring lineup. Ms Moose and all like her will have nothing to ski on.

And Robbski, while Highway Star is sometimes prolific, sometimes unrealistic, sometimes undocumented, sometimes egotistical, and sometimes loses his temper, he is not a troll. He is passionate about skiing, and trying (in his own way) to grow that passion in others. He was on the hill yesterday, were you? If POWDR was as passionate about skiing as HS is, this thread wouldn't exist.

UVSHTSTRM

Jesus Christ! Stop fucking reading the god damn thread you fucking troll! If you see a Killington post with OG of HS don't read the friggin thing you tool! I think you alone have probably added another page or two this thread.

Black Phantom

Killington should do the right thing.

slideshow_1158188_do_the_right_thing007-David-Lee-Universal.jpg

SIKSKIER

It really pains me to say that I'm with HS on this one. Its kind of like the boy crying wolf deal.So many negative K threads delute his messages.Before I read this thread though,I already was wondering if K would step up with the other 5 reasorts and show their commitment and make snow.Looks like a NO.

drjeff

Let's try and look objectively at why K might of made the descision to NOT make more snow now.

#1 - the "British Invasion" - let's be honest, if you've ever seen a British invasion before, the vast majority of this generally high school/early college aged Brits aren't the best of skiers/riders and tend to rely on the availability of easier terrain and ski school help.

Based on the blowtorch of a weather system that was inplace. K lost all of Snowshed and Ramshead, and while I haven't seen any current picture, I did see that terrain 1st hand just before the warm weather hit when I was at K with my kids for the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge qualifier race. The base in both of those areas, as was the case with so much terrain all over New England never had a chance againt that extened run of warm air. K would likely be starting from close to scratch to get that terrain open to satisfy the majority of the needs of the Brits. Doubtful at best if even the massive firepower of the K snowmaking system could 1st get enough snow made to get that terrain reopened and then keep it going until the Brits arrive in another 10 days or so. Beginners and lower intermediates on Superstar just doesn't work. If you look at what Loon and SR and the Loaf still have to offer, there's still a "decent" amount of terrain available for what the majority of the Brits would be looking for.

#2 Given the reality that they couldn't likely offer that type of product for the Brits, and that they still have feet of base on Superstar, and that this year more so than many other years has really shifted the thoughts of the masses away from spring skiing/riding to warm weather activities. The thought likely came down to should they spend tens of thousands of dollars to fire the system back up, when in reality i'm sure they're looking at their snowpack and thinking that Easter weekend might be it, thus either eating away at whatever profit they might of made this year or increase the loss? If they had fired their snowmaking system back up, BUT just on the terrain that the majority of the Brits would be using, would that have come off as any better amongst the K faithful??

K has their business model now. Not everyone agrees with their business model. K feels that their business model allows them to meet the financial obligations that they have. People keep coming to K and spending their money. This year has presented many different weather related situations both before and during the season that have never been experienced in such a short amount of time, and more than often required a large capital expense to deal with them. I'm guessing that K, a while ago, either met, or exceeded it's preseason snowmaking budget target number. Emotions, as is often the case about a passionate subject have been introduced into the equation here. Facts and emotions are often at odds with one another in situations like this. I'm not saying that I totally agree and/or like the K plan now, since a strong, agressive K is GREAT for the entire New England ski scene as it forces other areas to step up or step aside. All i'm saying is that when you eliminate the emotion from the equation, I can see how the facts appear to line up in their decsion making process

SkiFanE

Let's try and look objectively at why K might of made the descision to NOT make more snow now.

#1 - the "British Invasion" - let's be honest, if you've ever seen a British invasion before, the vast majority of this generally high school/early college aged Brits aren't the best of skiers/riders and tend to rely on the availability of easier terrain and ski school help.

Based on the blowtorch of a weather system that was inplace. K lost all of Snowshed and Ramshead, and while I haven't seen any current picture, I did see that terrain 1st hand just before the warm weather hit when I was at K with my kids for the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge qualifier race. The base in both of those areas, as was the case with so much terrain all over New England never had a chance againt that extened run of warm air. K would likely be starting from close to scratch to get that terrain open to satisfy the majority of the needs of the Brits. Doubtful at best if even the massive firepower of the K snowmaking system could 1st get enough snow made to get that terrain reopened and then keep it going until the Brits arrive in another 10 days or so. Beginners and lower intermediates on Superstar just doesn't work. If you look at what Loon and SR and the Loaf still have to offer, there's still a "decent" amount of terrain available for what the majority of the Brits would be looking for.

#2 Given the reality that they couldn't likely offer that type of product for the Brits, and that they still have feet of base on Superstar, and that this year more so than many other years has really shifted the thoughts of the masses away from spring skiing/riding to warm weather activities. The thought likely came down to should they spend tens of thousands of dollars to fire the system back up, when in reality i'm sure they're looking at their snowpack and thinking that Easter weekend might be it, thus either eating away at whatever profit they might of made this year or increase the loss? If they had fired their snowmaking system back up, BUT just on the terrain that the majority of the Brits would be using, would that have come off as any better amongst the K faithful??

K has their business model now. Not everyone agrees with their business model. K feels that their business model allows them to meet the financial obligations that they have. People keep coming to K and spending their money. This year has presented many different weather related situations both before and during the season that have never been experienced in such a short amount of time, and more than often required a large capital expense to deal with them. I'm guessing that K, a while ago, either met, or exceeded it's preseason snowmaking budget target number. Emotions, as is often the case about a passionate subject have been introduced into the equation here. Facts and emotions are often at odds with one another in situations like this. I'm not saying that I totally agree and/or like the K plan now, since a strong, agressive K is GREAT for the entire New England ski scene as it forces other areas to step up or step aside. All i'm saying is that when you eliminate the emotion from the equation, I can see how the facts appear to line up in their decsion making process

All makes perfect sense for a penny pincher. That's not me...bottom line doesn't drive my entertainment/recreation decisions all the time. I think everyone agrees a business has to be profitable, but there are different ways to squeeze out a profit and it seems lots of people don't like how K does that. Not sure what went on the upper echelons of SR management to decide to blow snow, but they obviously didn't ONLY consider the profit/loss, but that the PR, smiles and goodwill probably do a heck of a lot more good then holding back to save what is relatively peanuts. Do you know how much gatorade, chips, pizzas and things 800 teenage Brits consume? LOL..

SkiFanE

If a K basher has property in the area and feels that their investment is threatened by bad management at a ski area then I'd say they have a right to complain. Not sure that applies in this case.

Just clarifying...I never said my property was an "investment" - we bought it to park our money and become a real skiing family. If we weren't happy with the ski slope we committed to, it'd be a bummer...it's not a cheap venture but buying property makes the most sense long term, IMO. I don't know the cost of K passes, programs, etc...but SR went up after sold by ASC but i think it's very reasonable. Closing before May Day was a big loss for SR regulars, but personally didn't affect us much.

Highway Star

Killington's business model now means that the Dew Tour gets priority over opening normal advanced terrain. It means that there is no buffer for bad weather, ie. they are not durable in bad seasons. And regardless of business model, they made a major tactical error in not making more snow (either mid season or NOW) on middle superstar. And upper skyelark. And everywhere else.

But what it really means, is that Killington has lost it's value proposition for the vacationer or day ticket skier. Okemo, Stratton, Sugarbush and Stowe all offer far better mid season skiing product and much better value, which is why Killington has been shedding skier visits to them for the past decade. You can go to Stowe and spend $90 on a ticket and actually feel like you got your money's worth.

Without a premium snowmaking effort, running a reasonable number of lifts, and an extended season, Killington has cutbacked itself into being a 2nd tier ski resort.......the ghetto of Vermont skiing.

(for me sking on a pass for $15 a day, the value is OK).

Last edited: