• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Maple Valley, VT potentially reborn???

Glenn

It would be cool for a few small mountains to open again. Aside from Maple Valley: Hog Back and Snow Valley. I don't think we'll see either of those any time soon though.

loafer89

I'm actually surprised the drive terminals look as good as they do after sitting unused for that long. I'm sure it would cost more than it's worth to get them in working order again though. Aside from drive terminals I imagine the haul ropes are in rough shape and the sheave assemblies are probably shot. Not to even mention the return terminals or the wiring for the controls/safety circuits that the local rodents have probably made a mess out of.

The ski area is located in the warmer and dryer climate of the Connecticut River Valley, this probably accounts for the fair state of preservation.

loafer89

It would be cool for a few small mountains to open again. Aside from Maple Valley: Hog Back and Snow Valley. I don't think we'll see either of those any time soon though.

Losing Mount Tom and Brodie where both unnecessary losses IMO and I am thankfull that I had the chance to ski both places.

Glenn

Good point. I skied Mt. Tom a lot when I was younger. That's where my school did it's after school ski thing in the winter. I raced a Brodie a few times as well. Bummer that they're both gone.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Jimminy owns Brodie now correct? I wonder why they refuse to operate it. Didn't it have the largest vertical drop in Mass?

bvibert

Staff member
The ski area is located in the warmer and dryer climate of the Connecticut River Valley, this probably accounts for the fair state of preservation.

I'm also amazed at the apparent lack of vandalism. Around here the windows on that snow cat wouldn't have stood a chance for that long.

bvibert

Staff member
Jimminy owns Brodie now correct? I wonder why they refuse to operate it. Didn't it have the largest vertical drop in Mass?

I'm pretty sure they sold it to a condo developer, with some sort of clause that it could never be operated as a public ski area again.

ctenidae

I'm also amazed at the apparent lack of vandalism. Around here the windows on that snow cat wouldn't have stood a chance for that long.

Marc and I walked that whole area 2 years ago, and I was amazed at the lack of vandalism. Aside from a collapsing shack with an old mattress in it, there's almost no sign of anyone ever getting near it.

The NELSAP kid's plans aren't completely ridiculous- if you wanted to make a go of it, that's more or less what I'd do. Cabins way around on the north side (already permitted with sites) with skin in/out capability, mountain biking, etc. The back porch would be a perfect summer stage, with seating on the hill going back.

With a lot of money ($3-$5M cash after purchase), you could make a run of it. Maybe.

bvibert

Staff member
Marc and I walked that whole area 2 years ago, and I was amazed at the lack of vandalism. Aside from a collapsing shack with an old mattress in it, there's almost no sign of anyone ever getting near it.

The NELSAP kid's plans aren't completely ridiculous- if you wanted to make a go of it, that's more or less what I'd do. Cabins way around on the north side (already permitted with sites) with skin in/out capability, mountain biking, etc. The back porch would be a perfect summer stage, with seating on the hill going back.

With a lot of money ($3-$5M cash after purchase), you could make a run of it. Maybe.

The most ridiculous part of his 'plans' is that he claims to be opening for the season on January 1st 2009. There's no way that's going to happen.

From what I've seen it looks like it could be a neat little place. I've dreamed of winning the lotto and buying the place more than a few times since I saw the for sale ad a few years back. Hell, I'm doing it right now. ;)

I must admit that it had a lot more appeal when the lifts had only been idle for a few years and I thought there was a chance of getting them back up and running without too much money. The snowmaking system and the apparent lack of water rights are probably biggest detractors though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The most ridiculous part of his 'plans' is that he claims to be opening for the season on January 1st 2009. There's no way that's going to happen.

From what I've seen it looks like it could be a neat little place. I've dreamed of winning the lotto and buying the place more than a few times since I saw the for sale ad a few years back. Hell, I'm doing it right now. ;)

I think I might buy Mount Wittier when I win powerball on Saturday ;)

ctenidae

I must admit that it had a lot more appeal when the lifts had only been idle for a few years and I thought there was a chance of getting them back up and running without too much money. The snowmaking system and the apparent lack of water rights are probably biggest detractors though.

Agreed on all point- 1 year is about 1 year to little time to get it up to speed.

On the water rights, my uinderstanding is that it has grandfathered rights to the river, esentially unlimited. It's murky, though, and I think that any substantial work to the pumphouse could be construed as "new construction", which could void the rights. There's a site just upstream that's supposedly permitted for small hydroelectric, but I can't imagine how you'd get that to work- just not enough water. There is a huge amount of water just oozing out of the hill, though, so you could, conceivably, build a collection tank and gather all the water, somehow.

Yeah, I've dreamt of the lotery, too...

deadheadskier

Staff member

I know

I'll cut about 4 narrow seeded bump runs from the summit, a few glades in between for the sweet Winnepausake lake effect storms :lol: and a giant top to bottom terrain park. Run a double up the summit and call it good.

All the rad skiers and boarders will forget about going north to north conway and go to Wittier instead.

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/mtwhit1.html

*business plan developed during 30 second drive by on Thursday :lol:*

bvibert

Staff member
There is a huge amount of water just oozing out of the hill, though, so you could, conceivably, build a collection tank and gather all the water, somehow.

The way you worded that immediately made me think of the systems of tubes to collect maple sap from trees... ;)

I wonder if there's the space to build a retaining pond somewhere?

loafer89

New water rights to access the West River would probably face a huge enviornmental battle for a permit these days with all sorts of groups. The river will surely have a minimal winter flow that would probably not make it an attractive wintertime source for snowmaking water.

The ski season would also be short due to low elevation and probably not last longer than 3 - 3 1/2 months.

bvibert

Staff member
I know

I'll cut about 4 narrow seeded bump runs from the summit, a few glades in between for the sweet Winnepausake lake effect storms :lol: and a giant top to bottom terrain park. Run a double up the summit and call it good.

All the rad skiers and boarders will forget about going north to north conway and go to Wittier instead.

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/mtwhit1.html

*business plan developed during 30 second drive by on Thursday :lol:*

Sounds like you've got it all worked out!

deadheadskier

Staff member
New water rights to access the West River would probably face a huge enviornmental battle for a permit these days with all sorts of groups. The river will surely have a minimal winter flow that would probably not make it an attractive wintertime source for snowmaking water.

The ski season would also be short due to low elevation and probably not last longer than 3 - 3 1/2 months.

dude what's up with being all realistic

can't you let bvibert dream a little :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just in...this property is now being offered by the one and only Trailboss Realty. We are proud to be offering Stowe Mountain Resort (come on you cheapskates, someone please pony up), The Basin Ski Shop in Killington, and now Maple Valley.

Trailboss Realty. Your Magic Carpet to the Ski Industry. :wink:

bvibert

Staff member
dude what's up with being all realistic

can't you let bvibert dream a little :lol:

No kidding! ;)

In my lottery winning dreams I'm not necessarily buying to be a sustainable business. More like I won enough that I can do what ever I want with it and not have to worry about losing money. I mostly dream that it would be my private mountain that I'd let my friends use and would probably open it up to the locals for cheap or free.