• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is the best city for you?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Waterbury CT??? I think not!

I ended up wit Waterbury, CT. Which having actually been there numerous times for multiple reasons, I am very comfortble in saying "WTF kind of programming did Kiplinger's use for this?!?!"

I have a tough time with knowledge of Waterbury, even fathoming how my answers came up with there! :rolleyes:

Waterbury, CT :sadwalk:

I got Waterbury, CT, too. My guess is that the college and arts played into that, with UCONN (which I actually attended WUCONN), the Palace Theater, excellent magnet schools, decent hospitals (my son was born at St. Mary's)... There are definitely some craptacular things about Waterbury, but there are some good things, too.

Still, I don't want to live there...

gmcunni

I got Waterbury, CT, too. My guess is that the college and arts played into that, with UCONN (which I actually attended WUCONN), the Palace Theater, excellent magnet schools, decent hospitals (my son was born at St. Mary's)... There are definitely some craptacular things about Waterbury, but there are some good things, too.

well, Waterbury is much closer to Sundown for me so maybe it isn't all bad.

deadheadskier

Staff member
State College, PA - not a chance in hell. I've lived near Pittsburgh and drove through PA coming home to New England and found central PA to be the single most depressing place in the Northeast.

Ithaca, NY - great music scene and I hear it's a cool place, but a bit too far from big mountain skiing.

Glens Falls, NY - under two hours from some great skiing, but no thanks.

I'm content living on the NH Seacoast. I think it has the best mix of professional, recreational and cultural opportunity combined with affordability in New England.

I loved my time in Burlington, VT and Portland, ME, but they had their drawbacks. Burlington was too far from the ocean. Portland was too far from Northern, VT skiing and consistently best snow in New England. The income tax in both states completely sucks and is why I'm reluctant to return to either state. 7.2% if you make over 32K in VT. Below 32K it's 3.6%. Top rate for the state is 9.5%. Maine is completely nuts. To qualify for the top income tax rate, you need only make a whopping $19.5K per year and are charged 8.5%. Young people with entry level salaries coming out of college are leaving both of those states in droves because of this.

As much as people bitch about the high property tax rates in NH, the 0% income and sales tax more than makes up for it. Live free or Die baby

Riverskier

Me too, SR Homers to Waterbury?. I would have thought Portland would have been where it put me or concord NH.

I guess so!

Ironically I was born at a hospital in Waterbury, as my parents lived in Southbury at the time. We moved to Maine when I was 4, and I have been here ever since. No interest in living anywhere else.

drjeff

well, Waterbury is much closer to Sundown for me so maybe it isn't all bad.

Me too, SR Homers to Waterbury?. I would have thought Portland would have been where it put me or concord NH.

The more and more that I see people having Waterbury as their "best" city selected for them, the more and more I half expect to see a pop up banner sponsored by the greater Waterbury chamber of commerce or something! ;)

wa-loaf

1. Syracuse, NY
2. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT
3. Waterbury, CT
4. Fairbanks, AK
5. Cheyenne, WY

This test sucks.

Geoff

It picked Burlington, Vt and Portsmouth, NH as my top two. I've lived in both places. It got my preferences right.

jaja111

I got Fairbanks too. Huh?

I'd like to see some test that spit out an answer after 100 questions rather than a generalized handful.

Ithaca, NY - the most un-NY town in NY. I feel like I should have my passport with me when in Ithaca. Its pretty out there when the gas station clerk has a phd and hippies beg for money in the streets. Is it like Berkley CA?

jrmagic

I left the region open and got

1) Ann Arbor, MI
2) Portland-South Portland-Biddeford, ME
3) Norwich-New London, CT-RI
4) Durham, NC
5) Princeton-Ewing, NJ

I changed it to the Northeast and Mountains and got

1. Princeton-Ewing, NJ
2. Portland-South Portland-Biddeford, ME
3. Norwich-New London, CT-RI
4. Fort Collins-Loveland, CO
5. Boulder, CO

gmcunni

Wasn't Waterbury one of the wealthiest cities in the country around 1900? Brass capital of the world or something of the sort?

apparently so.

Waterbury (nicknamed the "Brass City") is a city in New Haven County, Connecticut, on the Naugatuck River, 33 miles (53 km) southwest of Hartford and 77 miles (124 km) northeast of New York City. As of 2010 Census Bureau estimates, the city had a total population of 110,366 and is the ninth largest city in New England, the fifth-largest city in Connecticut and the second largest city in New Haven County.[1]

Throughout the first half of the 20th century Waterbury had large industrial interests and was the leading center in the United States for the manufacture of brassware (including castings and finishings), as reflected in the nickname the "Brass City" and the city's motto Quid Aere Perennius? ("What Is More Lasting Than Brass?"), which echoes the Latin of Horace's Ode 3.30. It was noted for the manufacture of watches and clocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterbury,_Connecticut