• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does anybody still not wear a helmet???

WJenness

What did they say about seeing a Neurologist. I'm surprised they didn't mention it. I waited several months and regret having done so. The symptoms can progress, even though you feel fine just now.

The only problem with my neurologist is that she told me to stop skiing. You know the answer....

Neuro was not mentioned at all...

Seeing my PCP in a few hours, we'll see what he has to say.

Yours was (obviously) MUCH more serious than mine...

-w

John

I haven't worn a helmet in years (since before I met my soon to be ex wife, 20 years ago). Since I predominately ski with my kids and they are beginner intermediate,groomers only. I'm not sure I need one right now but I picked up some line twin tips last season, so I may start playing around a bit more. 46 is a little old for the terrain parks but it may be fun to try.

gmcunni

I haven't worn a helmet in years (since before I met my soon to be ex wife, 20 years ago). Since I predominately ski with my kids and they are beginner intermediate,groomers only. I'm not sure I need one right now but I picked up some line twin tips last season, so I may start playing around a bit more. 46 is a little old for the terrain parks but it may be fun to try.

funny, 1 of the reasons i started wearing a helmet was because i was skiing with my kids and they kept giving me hard time because i made them wear one.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I've pretty much settled into the belief that the logic for or against wearing a helmet is a two way street. What I mean by that is that wearing a helmet shouldn't give one a false sense of security that you'll be protected skiing certain ways or types of terrain. On the flip side, the type of skiing or terrain you are skiing shouldn't give one a false sense of security that you don't need to wear a helmet. Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson, died from a head injury sustained from a fall during a beginner ski lesson at Mount Tremblant. She wasn't wearing a helmet.

If for no other reason, I think it would be wise of you to wear a helmet while skiing with your kids as it sets a good example, but that's obviously your choice.

John

I've pretty much settled into the belief that the logic for or against wearing a helmet is a two way street. What I mean by that is that wearing a helmet shouldn't give one a false sense of security that you'll be protected skiing certain ways or types of terrain. On the flip side, the type of skiing or terrain you are skiing shouldn't give one a false sense of security that you don't need to wear a helmet. Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson, died from a head injury sustained from a fall during a beginner ski lesson at Mount Tremblant. She wasn't wearing a helmet.

If for no other reason, I think it would be wise of you to wear a helmet while skiing with your kids as it sets a good example, but that's obviously your choice.
funny, 1 of the reasons i started wearing a helmet was because i was skiing with my kids and they kept giving me hard time because i made them wear one.

Those are actually very good points. Be a good example to my kids... wish I was thinking a bit more.

Rikka

I have skied 45 years without one I will be wearing this year.

JDMRoma

I started wearing one when I got back into skiing, Im not a hat wearer…can't stand them so the helmet keeps me warm and semi protected. Ive had a couple of crashes that without the Lid, I would have had some serious issues for sure.
I won't ski without one now….

bigbog

Wayne...hope you got a checkup..y/n? You're in a great area to do so. It's a great feeling to be issue-free...and catching anything before it turns into something more complicated makes most issues treateable.

Last edited:

dlague

Skied my whole life without one until my kids started skiing and made them wear one! One asked why we do not - we bought helmets shortly after that. About three later I was in the back seat off a jump and smacked my head on the ground and was glad that I had the helmet. Never looked back after that! Do not use it as a security blanket. - my son got a concussion with one on but it would have been worse with out!

Quietman

Not sure what your budget it and what you consider unreasonably expensive. But you can find helmets for less than $50. And the upper end is $150ish. Basically the SAME pricing as bike helmets.

A few years back my father fell and not only broke his helmet amost in half, but snapped his collar bone and cracked multiple ribs with a punctured lung. We could only guess what his head would have been like without the helmet. I knew it was time to get one but being a cheapskate, I finally found a used 2XL(I have a big head) Giro S4 for $19 on Ebay. It has been one of my best purchases ever. Fits well, very light, has removeable ear flaps, and is nice and warm in cold weather.

The only time that I've skied without it in the last 7 years was during the meltdown last March. A black helmet in the 80 degree sun was just too much.

My brother has refused to get one, and I give him crap about it, but it's his choice.

Last edited:

gmcunni

On the flip side, the type of skiing or terrain you are skiing shouldn't give one a false sense of security that you don't need to wear a helmet. Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson, died from a head injury sustained from a fall during a beginner ski lesson at Mount Tremblant. She wasn't wearing a helmet.

as some may know, my daughter was in a serious accident season, crashing and going off a trail at Sugarbush. it was an easy blue trail that transitioned to green (slow poke to sugarbear road). had she not been wearing a helmet she would not be alive today. tho to see her helmet and the minimal visual damage you'd have never guessed how bad it was.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The human skull/brain is really only capable of tolerating impacts of around 15mph; essentially the top speed humans can run at. It doesn't take much of an impact to cause a life threatening brain bleed.

I just did a two week rotation in CT Scan at the hospital. There were numerous cases of patients with brain bleeds from simple falls around the house. It really solidified in my mind how easy it is for someone to do severe damage to their head falling while skiing even at a moderate speed.

snoseek

I took a bad bicycle crash in the spring on my bike. My helmet literally shattered. Without the helmet I wouldn't be typing this for sure, Even with the helmet I suffered neck/head injury. This is the second time a helmet has saved my ass

drjeff

The human skull/brain is really only capable of tolerating impacts of around 15mph; essentially the top speed humans can run at. It doesn't take much of an impact to cause a life threatening brain bleed.

I just did a two week rotation in CT Scan at the hospital. There were numerous cases of patients with brain bleeds from simple falls around the house. It really solidified in my mind how easy it is for someone to do severe damage to their head falling while skiing even at a moderate speed.

If more people actually understood the facts about how "easy" a traumatic brain injury can occur, and then had to spend sometime in a traumatic brain injury rehabilitation clinic and saw that a significant amount of the people receiving therapy there AREN'T a result of say a car crash or a stroke, etc, but from events that many would classify as "routine" events (slip and falls, etc) then I'd bet that helmet usage would be much higher in not just snow sliding sports, but most sports across the board!

The skull and the thin layer of fluid that surround and protect the brain are great, but they just can't predictably withstand and protect the brain from impact injuries generated by many "routine" forces we potentially subject it too with extra protective help! :eek:

The brain is a terrible thing to scramble!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Skied my whole life without one until my kids started skiing and made them wear one! One asked why we do not - we bought helmets shortly after that. About three weeks later I was in the back seat off a jump and smacked my head on the ground and was glad that I had the helmet. Never looked back after that! Do not use it as a security blanket. - my son got a concussion with one on but it would have been worse with out!

Someone who also was influenced by their children! I often think it is funny how adults tell their children to behave yet they go about things contrary to their rule! No wonder teenagers are confused!

Stat: Wearing a helmet on the slopes may cut your risk of head injury by 22% to 60%. non-helmet users were greater than two times more likely to have died of head injuries among accidents in which helmet use was known. Just more than one-third of the deaths involved those wearing a helmet, with about half of them also suffering fatal head injuries.

Where do most fatal accidents happen?

Well-groomed blue cruiser trails where the average speed of skiers is 25 to 40 mph...

due to out of control skiers or snowboarders that either collide with another slider or lose control and go off trail!

MadMadWorld

If your not sure if you need one, watch the Crash Reel documentary about the snowboarder from VT who suffered a traumatic brain injury. Injuring your brain is not like breaking a leg. There is severe and lasting consequences to injuring your melon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I don't usually wear a helmet. I think they look douchey and I love skiing warm spring bumps with just sunglasses or goggles on my head. If I found a helmet that looked okay and didn't make me look like every smarmy gaper on the hill I'd wear one, but that helmet hasn't been made yet.

I also don't wear a helmet when I ride my bike on bike paths. I do when I'm mountain biking or road biking.

Cue a bunch of people saying that I look like the stupid one for not wearing a helmet.

Cannonball

I don't usually wear a helmet. I think they look douchey and I love skiing warm spring bumps with just sunglasses or goggles on my head. If I found a helmet that looked okay and didn't make me look like every smarmy gaper on the hill I'd wear one, but that helmet hasn't been made yet.

I also don't wear a helmet when I ride my bike on bike paths. I do when I'm mountain biking or road biking.

Cue a bunch of people saying that I look like the stupid one for not wearing a helmet.

Let me be the first....

Fashion is subjective, so if you don't like the look, that's cool and all. On the other hand, fashion is also mostly based on external perception. So if fashion is you primary reason not for wearing one (which you say it is) I have to let you know that not wearing a helmet is the first criteria for gaperdom in 2013.

Not wearing a helmet makes you look as stupid as smoking a cigarette. Cue a bunch of people saying that cigarettes are cool.

Quietman

I'm curious, and not being judgemental even if it looks like it. Do non-helmet users, buckle up when driving? To be honest, I don't buckle 100% of the time, more like 90%.

MadMadWorld

It's a small price my friend. I hate to sound like a parent but there isn't a professional free rider, racer, or x games athlete that doesn't where one. When I see someone with a helmet I don't see them as a gaper...just smart. Now if that same person is wearing a fart bag or has their jeans tucked into their boots....well that's different.