• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Red Sox 2012

2knees

what a mess. $67 million on the dl, no closer, starters are horrendous. 14 games is hardly a season but it's hard to imagine this thing turning around anytime soon. Looks like Valentine lost the clubhouse already. Fans booing him like he is the reincarnation of Don Zimmer as the globe pointed out.

too bad my second team is the Pirates......:grin:

deadheadskier

Staff member
couldn't believe the Fold up against the Yankees Saturday -- how do u blow a 9 run lead in the very late innings ??????????

by having the worst bullpen in baseball.....

Red Sox went into this off season having three major issues.

1. Cancerous Clubhouse
2. Terrible Bullpen
3. Lack of depth at Starting Pitching

What did ownership do? Made Francona the scapegoat and did nothing to address the other 3 issues. They thought, well if we bring in a new manager, maybe he'll fix the cancer problem and it's inconceivable that the team will pitch that bad two years in a row. They were wrong on Bobby fixing the clubhouse, they were right that they couldn't pitch that bad two years in a row; they're pitching even worse.

Henry is going to pay dearly for taking a penny wise, pound foolish approach. At the very least they should have traded Becket for a can of beans to make a statement. The team would still suck (and they're going to suck for at least 3-4 more years with their current contract obligations), but I think even the pink hats in Boston would support a losing team that cares over a losing team of overpaid, under-performing, entitled prima donnas.

At least Henry can sleep somewhat easy knowing he got rid of the most overrated baseball GM in history with Theo.

Warp Daddy

1. Cancerous Clubhouse
2. Terrible Bullpen

What did ownership do? Made Francona the scapegoat and did nothing to address the other 3 issues. They thought, well if we bring in a new manager, maybe he'll fix the cancer problem and it's inconceivable that the team will pitch that bad two years in a row. They were wrong on Bobby fixing the clubhouse, they were right that they couldn't pitch that bad two years in a row; they're pitching even worse.

Henry is going to pay dearly for taking a penny wise, pound foolish approach. At the very least they should have traded Becket for a can of beans to make a statement. The team would still suck (and they're going to suck for at least 3-4 more years with their current contract obligations), but I think even the pink hats in Boston would support a losing team that cares over a losing team of overpaid, under-performing, entitled prima donnas.

At least Henry can sleep somewhat easy knowing he got rid of the most overrated baseball GM in history with Theo.

Interesting analysis D! You've obviously invested some time in thinking about it .
My question simply was more of a statement .I LIVE with a Yankees fan ( Me i hate the friggin game ) and i've got grandkiddos in BOTH Boston region and in Manhattan so i'mm schitzoid :D:D:D on THIS whole Red Sox /Yankees thang > but your research will help me to deal with the Red Sox nation part of my family -- thanx

W

Puck it

Baseball is like watching paint. Boring. It was probably my best sport when I was playing and can't stand it. Lax is much better for a spring time sport.Just sayin.

Warp Daddy

Baseball is like watching paint. Boring. It was probably my best sport when I was playing and can't stand it. Lax is much better for a spring time sport.Just sayin.

LMAO !!!!!!! Boy i agree with the Paint thing -- just too damn slooooooooow moving and i can't abide all the crotch grabs , nervous tics , delays and other time wasting nervous habits that add zip to either the excitement factor or the outcome . I can watch a slugfest but a freaking pitching duel is as intersting as watching grass grow .

Must b a North Country thing, eh Puck ??

JimG.

Staff member

1. Cancerous Clubhouse
2. Terrible Bullpen

What amazes me about baseball is how a sport that is so slow moving can have fans that jump to the worst possible conclusions after what, 20 games of a 162 game schedule?

The Sox are not as bad as they look right now. Valentine takes alot of getting used to.

Puck it

LMAO !!!!!!! Boy i agree with the Paint thing -- just too damn slooooooooow moving and i can't abide all the crotch grabs , nervous tics , delays and other time wasting nervous habits that add zip to either the excitement factor or the outcome . I can watch a slugfest but a freaking pitching duel is as intersting as watching grass grow .

Must b a North Country thing, eh Puck ??

Hockey Country.

Played against this guy (http://www.rooathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=40&path=baseball) under Pinky. Guy had a cannon but went no where in pro ball.

kickstand

Played against this guy (http://www.rooathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=40&path=baseball) under Pinky. Guy had a cannon but went no where in pro ball.

I think the northeast is littered with guy like that - lots of promise, but weren't able to get anywhere with it. I can think of a dozen guys from about '88 thru '95 off the top of my head. Hopefully Jeff Locke, from North Conway, can break that streak. He didn't make Pittsburgh's rotation, but I'm sure he'll get called up at some point, because of injuries or Pittsburgh just sucking.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What amazes me about baseball is how a sport that is so slow moving can have fans that jump to the worst possible conclusions after what, 20 games of a 162 game schedule?

The Sox are not as bad as they look right now. Valentine takes alot of getting used to.

It's not just a 20 game sample size. It's essentially the same exact team (minus Papplebon) that went 7-20 last September. Granted they do have injury problems right now, but this is a .500 team at best with a $170M payroll. They're a mess. Very reminiscent of the Mets teams of the last decade. High payroll and lousy results.

Riverskier

Only 15 games, and good point. The Sox are a good enough team that they should at least be in contention for a playoff spot come September.

The biggest mistake they have made this season, in my opinion, is not putting Bard back in the bullpen. I wasn't a huge fan of making him a starter to begin with, but I understood it with the signing of a decent closer, and Melanson as a set up guy. With the injury to the closer, and Melanson being a flop, I think they needed/need to adjust. I would much rather have Aceves in the rotation and Bard as the closer or set up guy. Yeah, it is only one game, but look what Bard brought to the table in the 8th inning last night. That is the biggest piece the Sox have been missing this year. Obviously I don't know what their actual rationale is, but it almost seems like they are doing this to make Bard happy, which is ridiculous from a business perspective.

2knees

It's not just a 20 game sample size. It's essentially the same exact team (minus Papplebon) that went 7-20 last September. Granted they do have injury problems right now, but this is a .500 team at best with a $170M payroll. They're a mess. Very reminiscent of the Mets teams of the last decade. High payroll and lousy results.

exactly. same team as september, same problems. this is a continuation of last years debacle. so far at least.

JimG.

Staff member
exactly. same team as september, same problems. this is a continuation of last years debacle. so far at least.

To add to your paranoia, DHS made the comparison to the Mets, the last team that Valetine managed.

Hopefully he won't pull the old fake mustache trick like he did with the Mets.

2knees

To add to your paranoia, DHS made the comparison to the Mets, the last team that Valetine managed.

Hopefully he won't pull the old fake mustache trick like he did with the Mets.

:lol: I don't think it's paranoia. Just a casual observation about a baseball team. Let's not get crazy here.