• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm Speculation Thread Nov 6-7 2012

4aprice

Playing a little catchup on the forum here.....most likely not John. While it was looking like N VT resorts picking up a little before some mixing, that may shift a bit to the east. Any accumulations anywhere (even if for N NH...ie Loon/BW/Cannon/Wildcat) would be light--probably a few inches, give or take--plus this system isn't as amped and basically in the post-mature/decaying stage as it brushes by New England.

Winn: Seems like the Northern NE ski areas are being pretty aggressive with snow making operations. I have been reading warm up or at least moderation after this next storm. Do you think we reload or wait awhile for the next cold surge?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

WinnChill

Winn: Seems like the Northern NE ski areas are being pretty aggressive with snow making operations. I have been reading warm up or at least moderation after this next storm. Do you think we reload or wait awhile for the next cold surge?

The aggresive snowmaking has certainly been a strategy focus, especially with Killington's management. We're expecting a warm spike this weekend which is enhanced ahead of the deep trough approaching from the west. Hopefully they can pile up snowmaking to last through a few days of warmth, then we should settle back closer to seasonal norms later next week. It doesn't look like cold air returns in earnest--probably a little back-and-forth with the storm track may holding a bit further back through the western/central US.

UVSHTSTRM

WHO GIVES A SHIT RIGHT NOW YOU FREAKING IDIOTS1 PEOPLE ARE HOMELESS AND FREEZING AND YOU ARE HOPING FOR F'ING SNOW. GET A GOD DAMNED LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm shouting. Someone needs to.

I am sure you put your life on hold when we had ice storms (to numerous to mention) in NH, VT, Me, etc. Right? I am sure you put your life on hold when Katrina hit right? Do you honestly think by people discussing a weather event it is going to change the odds of it hitting or not? You must have it out for every local weatherperson, last I checked they are talking about the weather as well. You might want to call the handfull of mountains that will be open to skiing and riding and tell them to close down as everyones focus should be on New York and New Jersey. Get over yourself! If I had to guess you pray for big snows most of the time correct, as in any other time except for the past week or so and the weeks going forward? I will assume yes! That being said there are perhaps millions of people along the eastern seaboard that are homeless each and every night of the year and pray that no storms will hit, so I think you need to find a new hobby, one that isn't skiing, where snow and cold temps are good for you and bad for others.

skiahman

WHO GIVES A SHIT RIGHT NOW YOU FREAKING IDIOTS1 PEOPLE ARE HOMELESS AND FREEhyZING AND YOU ARE HOPING FOR F'ING SNOW. GET A GOD DAMNED LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm shouting. Someone needs to.

Hey Rev, what are you doing reading and posting on this site when NJ and NY need you?

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I know my bus ride home is going too take a long time, going from Port Authority nyc through North Jersey to orange county.

Glenn

It's actually sticking pretty good outside at work. We must hae a good 1.5" so far...and it's on the roads too; not just the grass.

Bene288

WHO GIVES A SHIT RIGHT NOW YOU FREAKING IDIOTS1 PEOPLE ARE HOMELESS AND FREEZING AND YOU ARE HOPING FOR F'ING SNOW. GET A GOD DAMNED LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm shouting. Someone needs to.

People are homeless and freezing every winter, natural disaster or not. I doubt you express much concern for them when it's puking snow and you're on the way to your favorite ski area. It's not like everyone here is hoping that NJ and LI get buried.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Snowy commute home on 17 in Jersey, nice to see more natural snow fall today then I did all of last year.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
We are sheltering a couple of families in answer to your question on what we are doing and contributing supplies and money. My youngest son is on a barrier island helping with cleanup while the older one is working seven days a week processing claims ..... You?

Why am I on a Winter Sports forum? Probably because I ski around 70 days a year, have skied many of the mountains that get talked about here both east and west, will be skiing the Alps this winter, was an instructor for 20 + years, had the pleasure of skiing with Glen Plake, etc. Need some more? Why are you here except that you live in Mass and have a rather bragging bottom line. "You go first, I'll wait for yo at the bottom" Hmmm..............

Let's put an end to this childishness right now but you did ask the question.

I shouldn’t do this, but since I’m an IDIOT1, a bragger and a child...

“rev bubba”
Joined Oct. 2012
Has a season pass at Hunter and Mountain Creek
Has a condo 100 meters “off the ocean.”
Skis midweek with old farts since his retirement last year.
Val Thoren and Trois Vallees and February.
Does ocean cruising
Likes MRG
Parent of two skiers, racers and instructors.
Skis Santa Fe Ski Basin, New Mexico
Taught a Shawnee for 20 years
Learned to ski at Blue Knob in 1968
Wore lace up leather boots and bear trap bindings and wooden skis in 1968
Been to Europe several times but has not skied there.
Skied at Taos, Angle Fire, Pajarito, Santa Fe.
Owns Blizzard Bonafide 180cm, Blizzard G Force Pro 174 cm
Thinks people who dislike Mountain Creek are ski snobs.
Mad River Glen is his favorite
Not a bragger even though he mentions 20 year instruction, Plake, Austria.
Knows how to make friends - trashes the forum participants after one month on the forum.

And by the way. I'll see you at the bottom. Meh, maybe not so much.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
We are sheltering a couple of families in answer to your question on what we are doing and contributing supplies and money. My youngest son is on a barrier island helping with cleanup while the older one is working seven days a week processing claims ..... You?

Why am I on a Winter Sports forum? Probably because I ski around 70 days a year, have skied many of the mountains that get talked about here both east and west, will be skiing the Alps this winter, was an instructor for 20 + years, had the pleasure of skiing with Glen Plake, etc. Need some more? Why are you here except that you live in Mass and have a rather bragging bottom line. "You go first, I'll wait for yo at the bottom" Hmmm..............

Let's put an end to this childishness right now but you did ask the question.

I see that Queens got 6" while the Whites in NH got zippo. Doesn't seem fair does it? Even so after Irene last year NH and especially VT were devastated. We all still looked forward to the snow.

4aprice

We got about 3 inches here yesterday. Pretty to watch and look at. I feel for people to the south of us who not only got more but in many cases still have leaves on the trees. We saw here what that can do last Halloween. Luckiest thing that happened to us is that we had "leaf drop" the week before Sandy.

Best thing I heard Mr Kelley say was that the impending warm up is only supposed to last a week.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ