• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Reminder for all mass drivers

2knees

These laws, by default, don't make sense. You can't read a text message but can read a book. (Outside the distracted driving law, which would cover the text messaging anyways.) Can't pick up a phone to say, "I'll be there in 10 minutes. Bye," but can have an in depth, heated technical discussion for an hour as long as it's a handsfree setup. No irony, just lawmakers feeling the need to appear safety-concious.

or could it be that they can't draft a law that would cover every possible idiotic thing someone could do while driving and went after the biggest specific issue there is.

i dont understand the problem. it almost sounds like some of you think texting while driving is no big deal.

bvibert

Staff member
guess it isnt. neither is plowing through a handle of vodka and taking a spin around the block.

What are you trying to say? I always make sure I finish the handle before driving home... it's too hard to text while holding the bottle... :roll:

For those that think I'm serious... ;) ;) ;)

2knees

What are you trying to say? I always make sure I finish the handle before driving home... it's too hard to text while holding the bottle... :roll:

Nice!

I'm still hot cause some wench almost went straight through about 8 kids in the crosswalk this morning. if it wasnt for her abs, she would've locked them up and probably nailed a few kids. she was still holding the crackberry in her left hand when i walked up to her window to ask her what the f^&k she was thinking.

ctenidae

I find that a couple extra cans of Red Bull in the center console are useful for rinsing the last bits of goodness out of the handle. ut it's really hard to pour them through the built-in pourspout while driving. If your passengers aren't passed out yet, it elps to have them hold the wheel.

What?

bvibert

Staff member
I'm still hot cause some wench almost went straight through about 8 kids in the crosswalk this morning. if it wasnt for her abs, she would've locked them up and probably nailed a few kids. she was still holding the crackberry in her left hand when i walked up to her window to ask her what the f^&k she was thinking.

That sounds pretty effed up. glad to hear no one was hurt!

WakeboardMom

Did she have an answer?

I was wondering the same thing?!? Did she at least have the decency to be embarrassed?

Geoff

I was wondering the same thing?!? Did she at least have the decency to be embarrassed?

Meh. Typical woman driver. Men have no problem texting while driving.
troll.gif

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised to someday see bluetooth technology that disables hand held devices when cars are put in drive.

I know the argument and a valid one will be made about passengers using their phones, but given the severity of the problem over reaching laws are to be expected.

At the very least we need to be a little less nanny like and be frank with people about the dangers.

I posted this a long while ago. It's quite graphic and disturbing. But, I think such PSAs are affective

mondeo

I have speak to text on my phone, make it pretty easy.
Pretty easy to commit both crimes at once?

The problem isn't non-hands free cell phone use, or texting, it's distracted driving. Holding a phone isn't that big a tax on the brain. It's the phone call itself that is. Reading a text message is one of the most benign things you can do while driving, I don't text (and I let anyone that texts me know they just cost me 20 cents,) but I'd be less distracted reading a 140 character message than just driving home after a stressful day.

What it really comes down to is selective law enforcement. It's extremely easy to spot distracted drivers. How? They're not following any of the other driving laws. They don't keep right except to pass. They tailgate. Don't travel the correct speed, or have random changes in speed. Unsafe lane change maneuvers. etc. If legislators/law enforcement agencies decided to nail people for all that stuff, and treated the enforcement of driving laws as a public good rather a revenue stream, distracted driving itself due to any cause would actually be affected. If you make texting illegal, the people that would have texted are still going to be programming nav systems in heavy traffic, throwing themselves into conversations on their legal hands-free systems or with passengers, fiddling with their iPod, drinking coffee, whatever. If you make it about a culture of paying attention to the frakking road while you're behind the wheel, you're actually addressing the root of the problem.

For the record, I consider both texting and talking on the phone while driving to be 98% moronic practices. But to me it's a mid-process symptom, not a cause.

ctenidae

I wouldn't be surprised to someday see bluetooth technology that disables hand held devices when cars are put in drive.

Several years ago, some restaurants and theaters were installing cell phone jammers that killed the signal to phones. A brilliant idea, I think. Unfortunately, illegal, as they violate Part 15 of FCC rules, and a raft of other laws.I have often thought of building one for my car, limited to, say, a 100 yard radius, so I could just zip through traffic dropping calls left and right. An instant-on, EMP burst type device would be great, especially for those times wihr the moron with a phone up their nose is sitting at a green light.

Coupled with, I think, a harpoon gun. For effect, you know.

/I grinned at the mental image of firing a harpoon thorugh a car at a stop light, I hope you did, too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Several years ago, some restaurants and theaters were installing cell phone jammers that killed the signal to phones. A brilliant idea, I think. Unfortunately, illegal, as they violate Part 15 of FCC rules, and a raft of other laws.

It's a private business. Why wouldn't they be allowed to take what ever measures necessary to prohibit the use of a cell phone?

mondeo

It's a private business. Why wouldn't they be allowed to take what ever measures necessary to prohibit the use of a cell phone?
FCC has the right to regulate all radio frequency transmissiting devices. Just because it's private doesn't give you free reign on the property.

Last edited:

Geoff

It's illegal to broadcast on a licensed frequency. The cell phone companies pay billions for that spectrum.

What you can legally do in a restaurant is encapsulate it in a Faraday cage so cell phones don't work. A tin ceiling. Metal mesh in the walls behind the sheet rock. Metallic window tint. Tie everything to a copper rod pounded into the ground.

You can buy cell phone jammers. You just aren't supposed to operate them.