• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown - 3/2/09

2knees

Just out of curiosity, those bumps looked kind of, I dunno strange, in the videos. I know they are seeded, but they looked odd even for seeded. Kind of smallish and too close together (as some of y'all have been saying). I assume they ski okay by everyone's overwhelmingly positive reactions though, correct?

they look strange in person too. and yes, they are super tight. but with all the snowboarder traffic its almost necessary to start that way as they'll get pushed around quite a bit. they ski ok once you get used to the spacing. biggest problem i found is there is zero time for recovery if you bobble. the next bump is on you so damn fast. the fact they are still small makes them manageable though.

in a week or so, they should be absolutely A+.

powhunter

Good work last night!!! Nice vids as usual!!!!! Yea I was kinda paranoid when that guy interviewed me!!!

steveo

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I actually like how much closer together the bumps are on the less steep part. The bumps on Ex were too far apart at first; these were a little easier for me somehow. You know, in my totally gaper, non-expert opinion. ;)

gmcunni

did anyone complete a non-stop top to bottom run? i think the first run of the night i stopped 5 times on the way down. that is one long ass bump run.

bvibert

Staff member
Great night of skiing last night. The conditions were slightly less than I'd hoped for, but still very good. The bumps are forming up well! It's such a treat to have such a long mogul field so close to home. I was able to ski with my wife last night, which was a rare treat. The setup on Gunny worked out well for that too, since I was able to ski with her, but still dip into the bumps. I was psyched that she gave a good effort in the lower bumps! I had some good runs and some not so good ones, but I had lots of fun regardless.
I got there a little before 5 and got one run in with Mondeo before Carrie got there. We skied NE first and then hit Gunny for the rest of the time. When she left around 7 I went in for a bite to eat and to switch to the bump skis. I spent the rest of the night lapping the bumps with the guys. Capping the night off with a tasty brew in the bar afterward with Greg and Mondeo.

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
I stopped like 3 times. there really is no room for error in there and since the bumps were so tight when i came across a bump in my line i found it easier to just jump it and land like 3 bumps down and pick up another line. Also during the day it was nice just smashing thru the tops of the bumps near the top of the course.
Did anyone go out of bounds and ski the woods to the side of gunbarrel?
Would you get in trouble if you did?

powbmps

Good skiing guys! 2knees ripping @ 3:00 and Mondeo @ 3:50 stand out.

That is an impressive bump run for sure. Looks quite a bit different with people on it. Everyone looks a little bigger :lol:.

steveo nice job making the news 8) (thanks for the links Greg).

Looks like it may stay below freezing down there for the next couple days. Nice!

bvibert

Staff member
Just out of curiosity, those bumps looked kind of, I dunno strange, in the videos. I know they are seeded, but they looked odd even for seeded. Kind of smallish and too close together (as some of y'all have been saying). I assume they ski okay by everyone's overwhelmingly positive reactions though, correct?

They are kinda strange, but that's pretty typical for freshly seeded Sundown bumps. They always start off small and have to be skied in. These seem a bit tighter than usual, but I don't think they're overly tight. Like Pat said; you need to be on the whole time, not much room for recovery. They'll grow some as people them in. Usually we get some snow to top coat new bumps, which helps them grow more, but I'm not sure how much more we'll get now.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice work on the videos guys and the TV appearance Steveo!

Sorry I some how seemed to fog up you lens when I was using the camera Greg. :oops:

wa-loaf

They are kinda strange, but that's pretty typical for freshly seeded Sundown bumps. They always start off small and have to be skied in. These seem a bit tighter than usual, but I don't think they're overly tight. Like Pat said; you need to be on the whole time, not much room for recovery. They'll grow some as people them in. Usually we get some snow to top coat new bumps, which helps them grow more, but I'm not sure how much more we'll get now.

Looks like someone rolled out a giant version of those egg crate mattress pads!

Greg

Staff member
Yeah, the bumps are a little funny. There was an area right at the steepest spot that was seeded way too tight initially. A lot of those bumps have vaporized and should reform in a more standard spacing. The bumps at the top (the oldest ones) don't seem that tight to me at all anymore. I think over time bumps will disappear, merge, reform, etc. In a week or two after some warmer days, the lines should really set up. I suspect the best ones will be the lines nearest the trees. There are some good ones in there already. All in all, like the others have said, I think it's a great foundation and should set up well for the next 4 or 5 weeks of local bump action. We are indeed very fortunate and I know none of us take it for granted.

Some other highlight (or lowlights perhaps) from last night include getting heckled from the lift, presumably by some young park rat types. At one point one says, "you're doing it wrong" so I yelled back for them to "come show me the right way." I didn't hear much heckling after that. Also, how about those patrollers "practicing" with their sleds in the bumps... :roll: ... before the lines are even fully skied in... :angry: Not exactly sure why the "practicing" is even needed given the fact that Gunny has a groomed escape route on skier's left...

Jisch

I was flying home from Montreal last night in a prop job, they had to come down under the clouds early (I presume) and we buzzed right over Sundown. I could actually see skiers going down the slopes, I was too slow with my cell phone to get a pic, but it was pretty cool!

John

Greg

Staff member
Managed to go the whole night without running into any of the crew (save for a lodge meeting)-- timing must have been off half a run. Anyway, good night all around. Quit early due to dead legs-- and they are even deader today.

Yeah, we saw you a few times from the lift and figured you would catch up eventually. Sorry we missed you. There will be plenty of other times, I suspect.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Seriously? The Patrollers were in there with the sleds? :roll: I can understand on Temptor, but honestly, there's no reason for it on Gunny. It's like they're doing it to piss you off. :mad: I couldn't understand why they would go down the Ex bumps either. I understand they need to train and all, but how many bumps do they have to mow down before they get it? :roll:

Greg

Staff member
Seriously? The Patrollers were in there with the sleds? :roll: I can understand on Temptor, but honestly, there's no reason for it on Gunny. It's like they're doing it to piss you off. :mad: I couldn't understand why they would go down the Ex bumps either. I understand they need to train and all, but how many bumps do they have to mow down before they get it? :roll:

In the scheme of things, I really don't know how much it actually affects any of the immature lines. Still, after all the work Kurt put into setting that up, why would you even want to risk it? Especially since if they even had to pull someone out of there, they would do it on the groomed side. Quite honestly, I think most of them should be spending that time practicing skiing the bumps, not pulling a sled through them...

Madroch

Having missed out on the video fun-- I had to painstakingly review each frame to see if anyone had inadvertantly gotten me. I think that may be me entering top left around :21 above the girl in white and to the left of the guy sideslipping. Or it may be wishful thinking-- I rode on the lift with that girl a couple of times around 5 ish and believe I almost ran into her once or twice on Gunny. If it is, I would ask that Greg remove the slo-mo feature he must be utilizing in that sequence... I certainly could not have been going that slow... could I?

And who was the guy in the burnt orange jacket-- he was absolutely killing it. Style a little like Jay, I even wondered if it might be him save for the different jacket....

2knees

I didnt realize you guys took that much vid. i wouldve taken your camera for a run or two.

I was so pissed off at times yesterday i wasnt thinking straight. I bitched about 500 times about my vision. i felt like i was riding an electronic bull at times, the way i was getting tossed around and the patrollers with the sled were pissing me off big time. sorry for the negative vibes i was spewing.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Pat - Suck it up and get contacts. I've had them since I was 16 and you really do get over the creepiness quickly. I can't see past about 6-8" from my face without them and there's no way I'm skiing in glasses. Be a man, sack up, and see again! ;)