• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Leonard Harrison State Park "The Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania" 8/31/2012

Cornhead

Date(s) Hiked:8/31/2012

Trails(s) Hiked:Turkey Path, Overlook Trail

Total Distance:2.6 miles

Difficulty:moderate

Conditions:Sunny, high 80's

Special Required Equipment:

Trip Report:
My local PBS station plays video clips of scenic local parks between shows. One of these is of Leonard Harrison State Park near Wellsboro PA. I had Friday off, so I decided to take a trip to check it out. First let me say, I hope fracking does not come to NY state. I've never seen so many trucks on rural routes in my life, they were everywhere. I can only attribute the traffic to fracking.There are only two trails to hike at the park, Turkey Path, a switchback mile long 800ft drop to Pine Creek at the base of the canyon, and Overlook Trail, a .6 mile loop on the southern end of the park. There is 62 miles of multi-use rail trail that runs along the Pine Creek, basically a dirt road. I came across several cyclist on this trail.

I started down the Turkey Path first. This trail switchbacks until almost reaching the bottom. There it runs along a creek gorge, the trail at that point consists of wooden walkways and numerous stairs. There is a similar park on the opposite side of the canyon, Colton Point, as I began my hike, I spoke with a couple who had hiked across the creek, and up to the rim of Colton Point. There is no crossing at the creek, but it is easily traversed. The climb back up to the base would really get your heart pumping if you hiked it all at once. I took advantage of the many built in benches along the way, this made it a rather easy climb.After completing the Turkey Path, I hiked the Overlook Trail. This trail heads east into the woods, hits another creek, runs along the creek until you hit the Otter View overlook, which looks south down the canyon. From the Otterview overlook, it is a short steep climb along the rim, back to the base of the park.I would recommend Leonard Harrison for anyone nearby that is interested in a fairly easy, short, day hike. There is some camping available, but I didn't check the sites.

IMG_20120831_184955.jpg
View from Otter View overlook

IMG_20120831_183833.jpg
CCC statue

IMG_20120831_180529.jpg
Wooden walkway on lower portion of the Turkey Path

IMG_20120831_173553.jpg
Pine Creek

IMG_20120831_184914.jpg
Otter View overlook

Last edited:

Cornhead

Thanks for the belated reply bigbog, reliving this trip makes me feel better about the ski season winding down..."A time for every season under Heaven." My old fat body could use a healthy dose of cycling, hiking, and canoeing.

Huck_It_Baby

Very cool pics!

Funny NY has a claim on the "Grand Canyon of the East" at Letchworth State park.

This is not my photo. Just a google search but I have crossed over this bridge as a train has come over. Very intense.
letchworth.jpg

Cornhead

Letchworth is more impressive than Leonard Harrison, it's 17 miles long! It must have been quite the rush to be on the trestle while a train was crossing, are you supposed to be on it? I doubt it. Very scenic park, the Genesee River Gorge, it is like a mini Grand Canyon, lots of nice trails to hike there. I hiked to a set of locks from the old Genesee Canal, it joined up with the Erie Canal, and crossed the Genesee River in Rochester on an aqueduct, pretty neat.

1093.1.0834.jpg.

Huck_It_Baby

Letchworth is more impressive than Leonard Harrison, it's 17 miles long! It must have been quite the rush to be on the trestle while a train was crossing, are you supposed to be on it? I doubt it. Very scenic park, the Genesee River Gorge, it is like a mini Grand Canyon, lots of nice trails to hike there. I hiked to a set of locks from the old Genesee Canal, it joined up with the Erie Canal, and crossed the Genesee River in Rochester on an aqueduct, pretty neat.

View attachment 8669.

No you're not supposed to go on the bridge but many people do. Even without a train coming over it's a little scary. At one time it was the highest bridge of it's type in the US. I was on it another day and it was raining on one side and sunny on the other side of the bridge with a rainbow over top. Letchworth is a very, very awesome place. I have hiked through countless times. It is choked full of hidden waterfalls and streams everywhere in the gorge.

I've also been on that aqueduct! I'm from Rochester and in high school going on the lower level of the aqueduct and abandoned subway was cool thing to do. Though not the safest as many shady characters can be found hanging out down there.

Huck_It_Baby

How wide is that train bridge?

The width of the bridge is wide enough for one train to cross with a walkway on either side of the tracks. If you do a google image search you will find some photos of it. Although in my opinion photos just don't do this bridge justice.

Skimaine

My family's farm over looked the "high banks" and was about 5 miles from the Perry entrance to Letchworth. In high school it was one of our favorite places to hide. A great place to get lost. Love the place. Too bad I now live 11 hours away.