• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thread Management

WakeboardMom

Sometimes it really doesn't matter if you put a person on ignore. They just sign up under another name.

ta&idaho

If anyone else is sick of getting bombarded with emails from all these HS bumps, here's a little trick I just figured out:

1. Go to "User CP"
2. Scroll down to "Subscriptions:
3. Select "Empty current folder"

Voila! A fresh start...

bvibert

Staff member
If anyone else is sick of getting bombarded with emails from all these HS bumps, here's a little trick I just figured out:

1. Go to "User CP"
2. Scroll down to "Subscriptions:
3. Select "Empty current folder"

Voila! A fresh start...

Here's an even better trick:

1. Go to Edit Options under User CP
  2. Scroll down to "Default Thread Subscription Mode" in the "Messaging & Notification" section
  3. Select "No email notification" from the drop-down box

That way you won't get email notifications by default. You can still get them for a specific thread by selecting "Subscribe to this Thread" under "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread (you may have to click "Unsubscribe from this Thread" first). Or by changing the notification type in the screen you mentioned in your post above.

ta&idaho

Here's an even better trick:

1. Go to Edit Options under User CP
  2. Scroll down to "Default Thread Subscription Mode" in the "Messaging & Notification" section
  3. Select "No email notification" from the drop-down box

That way you won't get email notifications by default. You can still get them for a specific thread by selecting "Subscribe to this Thread" under "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread (you may have to click "Unsubscribe from this Thread" first). Or by changing the notification type in the screen you mentioned in your post above.

Thanks, although I usually like them. This is a special (head) case.

dmc

Sometimes it really doesn't matter if you put a person on ignore. They just sign up under another name.

If someone responds to the post and quotes it - you'll see it... :(

Thats why I like Facebook.. When I block someone - I don't see ANY traces of them and them of me...

WakeboardMom

If someone responds to the post and quotes it - you'll see it... :(

Thats why I like Facebook.. When I block someone - I don't see ANY traces of them and them of me...

Interestingly enough I saw a comment of yours on FB this morning. :wink:

(I've never blocked anyone. Never had reason to do that.)

WakeboardMom

I had too... Mainly for business reasons..

That's been an interesting balance for me. I would prefer to not "friend" business acquaintances; or issue a disclaimer when I do allow them. "Sure, you can be my friend, but be prepared to deal with pictures of my kids, the lake, sunsets, me with my kids; stupid status updates, stupid comments from my kids; the list is long. Still wanna be my friend?!?" ; - )

Better is to ignore the Facebook friend request and send them a LinkedIn request.

dmc

That's been an interesting balance for me. I would prefer to not "friend" business acquaintances; or issue a disclaimer when I do allow them. "Sure, you can be my friend, but be prepared to deal with pictures of my kids, the lake, sunsets, me with my kids; stupid status updates, stupid comments from my kids; the list is long. Still wanna be my friend?!?" ; - )

Better is to ignore the Facebook friend request and send them a LinkedIn request.

Well they try to contact me.. The person who who i suspect was responsible for laying me off tried to befriend me on Facebook when it was known i was heading back as a user of the product. She didn't even say goodbye - she also tried on SKYPE.. Pissed me off..

But there are people from my old job that I'm Facebook friends with... Including the CEO.. :)

I've cultivated a big list of professional friends on LinkedIn and it's actually found me and friends gigs...

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I've cultivated a big list of professional friends on LinkedIn and it's actually found me and friends gigs...
I signed up early on LinkedIn, but hardly ever go on there anymore. Just the other day
one of my co-workers mentioned to me how active my company is on there with professional relationships. I really need to check them out again.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I signed up early on LinkedIn, but hardly ever go on there anymore. Just the other day
one of my co-workers mentioned to me how active my company is on there with professional relationships. I really need to check them out again.
One of the management podcasts I listen to recently ran a two parter on Linkedin calling it one of the most important things a professional needs to do. That was quite an endorsement. That podcast was hot on the heals of a big magazine piece on it (Fortune, perhaps?). I still am not on Linkedin as I thought of it as more of a Facebook for professionals but it seems like it is getting traction as reputable and legit networking and not "social" networking. I am going to have to take a look.

gmcunni

I stole that idea from a friend. An addendum to that rule is that you might be okay with friending business acquaintances if you've been out drinking with them.

i went so far as to removed reference to my current employer from my facebook account. posting "blowing off work to get some skiing this afternoon" just don't need to be seen.

dmc

thats a good thing....

My professional network intersects in the strangest places. One of my new co-workers is LinkedIn with my high school best friend. I found this out and called him. It was a ready made strong reference.

LinkedIn is great - it's a really good job finding tool.