• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Challenge 2011 Results: Burke - Hannah Collins / Tim McGuire

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I like that the new lift will only increase capacity by 10%.... that is sensational! Though actual realistic capacity will be higher since the lift will stop less often. That is not bad at all and the mountain can certainly handle a slight bump. Since the Willoughby Quad rarely operates at capacity any ways, that will cycle skiers for more runs so conditions will definitely still deteriorate faster than previously. But that is such a modest capacity bump that it will not likely be noticed. Except perhaps on powder days. :D Just glad to hear that the original map from Ginn's plan is off the table. The amount of corner and turn shaving was ridiculous!

Thanks for the responses, excellent!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Glad to see that Tim stepped up to answer the questions. That says a lot about him. I thought the substance of his responses were good. Glad that he wants to reach out to AZer's for input on how to develop the mountain and they realize that they have a good thing going as the mountain is. I'm also impressed to see that Tim worked for Wachusett and has experience with the ski business. I was under the impression that he was more of a real estate guy. Guess not. Lots of things going for the mountain now. The Kingdom Trails is taking off, they have a new HSQ coming in (ahead of the rest of the development). This is a major shot in the arm for the mountain. Previous plans were to build other things before putting in a faster lift to the summit. Now that Burke has two HSQ's people are going to look twice at it and more folks will check it out. As much as I hate to say it, the market, by and large, still rate mountains by the number of high speed lifts they have.

Glenn

That was an interesting read. I haven't been to Burke for years and years, but it was great to read about the goings ons.