• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Add Cannon to the opening list

SIKSKIER

Looks like a Friday 11/25 opening.Actually pretty surprized Cannon will be running when many others are not.Last Sunday there was no snow anywhere,even on top of Lafayette.Well they did make a little Friday in a few areas including the top of the Peabody Base Lodge roof:lol:

Cannon has picked up an early Thanksgiving treat with 6-10" of new snow to curb your appetite! We've seen 6-10 inches so far today with drifts well above a foot high and more snow is expected throughout the day. We're still firing away with snowmaking on Middle Cannon, Gremlin & around the base area...add all the new snow on top of that and we're set to open Friday 11/25 for the 2011/2012 season! Keep checking back for all the latest updates as we approach opening day.

Puck it

I can't believe the openings. I was sying Monday no way Cannon was going for it. Now, there will be tracks down other runs if you catch my drift.

Any intel from someone close by?

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I haven't been through Franconia since Sunday night, but prior to then they had made snow off the HSQ only - nothing on the upper mountain, nothing on Zoomer. I haven't been on the hill since Saturday, but it didn't look like they had made much in way of piles due to marginal temperatures.

Waterville, on the other hand, took a different approach, and started on the High Country, then worked down to Northside. High Country is pushed out and ready to go with good base depths and Northside has enough snow to go right now (still in piles/guns going).

Waterville also ran some guns in the base area (park/J-Bar) at night and off returns, but the difference in yield due to elevational temperature difference was pretty striking.

If the medium term forecast is accurate, Waterville should come out of this fine, while Cannon may struggle.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If the medium term forecast is accurate, Waterville should come out of this fine, while Cannon may struggle.
Makes you wonder why Cannon doesn't pay wages for an additional half dozen workers to run the tram for uploading and use the Cannonball. Almost sounds like threecy thinks using tax payer money to pay for all that extra wages and electricity to run the tram is a good thing since Waterville has such a good strategy.

:dunce:

Cannon has always kicked things off on the Peabody Quad since it went in. They offer a FAR superior product compared to High Country at Waterville. I don't think I'd ski High Country at Waterville if it was free. Maybe if you paid me, but it would have to be at least enough money to cover gas and a meal at the mountain. I suspect with a good base down, Cannon will weather the warm up just fine and be offering a better product that WV all the while.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Makes you wonder why Cannon doesn't pay wages for an additional half dozen workers to run the tram for uploading and use the Cannonball. Almost sounds like threecy thinks using tax payer money to pay for all that extra wages and electricity to run the tram is a good thing since Waterville has such a good strategy.

There is a big difference between making snow to open for Thanksgiving weekend and making snow that will last for the season.

There's also a big difference in amount of snow produced at marginal temperatures at low elevation vs. snow produced in more favorable temperatures 1,000 to 1,500 feet higher in elevation. A significantly larger amount of snow (better quality too) will be produced at the same cost per hour.

From what I could see, High Country will be open for the season with pipeline to treeline coverage, multiple feet deep. The guns up there have been bumped elsewhere.

They haven't announced it yet, but I suspect Tippecanoe may open for the weekend. They may not get it wall to wall like High Country, but it also looks like it should be well endowed by tomorrow morning.

SIKSKIER

Bummer for me as I had to work today.Cannon has basically 1 run from the top of the detach for aout 1400 vertical.They will run the Eagle lift also.Wallyworld is just running the High country at about 400 vertical which is nothing I would go there for.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bummer for me as I had to work today.Cannon has basically 1 run from the top of the detach for aout 1400 vertical.They will run the Eagle lift also.Wallyworld is just running the High country at about 400 vertical which is nothing I would go there for.

Fair enough, but as a NH taxpayer aren't you furious that Cannon didn't go the more fiscally conservative route like Waterville has and make snow at elevation and offer downloading on the Tram? :spin:

Threecy knows the infrastructure of both resorts very well and knows the upcoming forecast. I'm sure he could give us a dollar figure on how much money Cannon would save us taxpayers if they operated with a similar early season strategy to Waterville.

Smellytele

Fair enough, but as a NH taxpayer aren't you furious that Cannon didn't go the more fiscally conservative route like Waterville has and make snow at elevation and offer downloading on the Tram? :spin:

Threecy knows the infrastructure of both resorts very well and knows the upcoming forecast. I'm sure he could give us a dollar figure on how much money Cannon would save us taxpayers if they operated with a similar early season strategy to Waterville.

I am a NH tax payer but I am also a skier and agree more on the point that the terrain is more interesting at the top then off the detachable and the snow will last longer up there.

On the other side of the coin:
Is the Tram running for sightseers? If not the cost of running it maybe more than running the quad. Also most of Cannon's services are unfortunately at Peabody.

Puck it

They could upload and download on the quad. They could blow Upper Cannon since it returns near the quad terminus. Problem solved.

SIKSKIER

They have done the tram download in years past but only maybe 2 I can remember.That's no longer in their plan.I'm sure it cost a lot less to run just the detach than to staff 2 lifts.I'm fine with making snow on the lower mountain.Actually today ironically it is way warmer on the top of the mountain.Just talked to a friend that opted to go to Loon instead today and he told me it was near 50 at the top and 24 at the base first thing.So much for preserving snow near the top I guess.