• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

wachusett 1.7.12

gmcunni

Date(s) Skied: 1.7.12

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett

Conditions: spring snow, winter PP, scratchy in the shade

Trip Report: My first ever visit to Wachusett (added new pin to my collection). pulled into what i thought was fairly crowded parking lot around 9 AM but found lodge and lift lines to be relatively empty.

skiing solo with only my ipod for company i pretty much lapped the Polar Express lift. Rotated between Smith, 10th and Conifer. 10th was fun. good snow under the lift.

rode the singles line and never waited more than a few minutes. with the almost direct north exposure on the mountain the sun was low behind the mountain resulting in lots of shadows on most trails. Snow was soft in the sun and slick elsewhere.

378394_2641795277139_1023276530_32189922_984935633_n.jpg

o3jeff

Sounds like a fun time, could use some more pics and pov video next time.

Btw this is in the wrong forum.

gmcunni

Sounds like a fun time, could use some more pics and pov video next time.

Btw this is in the wrong forum.

speaking of POV.

1. i'm still checking daily for a gopro hero at a cheap price.
2. as with any local hill wachusett had its' share of gapers. in lift line behind the classic gaper wool cap, jeans rolled up to knee fellow. i wouldn't have thought twice about it EXCEPT for the gopro hero on a chest mount rig he had on. i think the camera was the most expensive thing he had on.

Warp Daddy

What do you think of the ol'Wachusett?

Skied it several times with my SIL and grandkids --always a fun time . I prefer skiing it in the evening however since we're there during Prez week and daytime lines are a PIA , Hell i'm easy -- i love this sport, so damn near anything i can slide down at my age is a great day :D:D:D

wa-loaf

Skied it several times with my SIL and grandkids --always a fun time . I prefer skiing it in the evening however since we're there during Prez week and daytime lines are a PIA , Hell i'm easy -- i love this sport, so damn near anything i can slide down at my age is a great day :D:D:D

WD I know you've been there a few times. This was gmcunni's first time so I was curious what he thought about the place.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This might be expired but check it out

GoPro HD Hero2 Outdoor or Surf Edition $240 shipped (backordered)
12/27 Update: Camera is on backorder. I just received an e-mail saying next shipment should be in 01/11/2012. If you can afford to wait, this is still a great deal. You might just have to postpone that base jumping or ski trip a couple weeks.

I just picked up this deal! Outdoorplay.com is offering 20% off on their facebook page [facebook.com]

$299.95 - 20% coupon (FB20) = $239.96 with free shipping (except to WA)

Step 1: Add either the outdoor or surf edition to your cart.
GoPro HD Hero2 Outdoor Edition [outdoorplay.com]
GoPro HD Hero2 Surf Edition [outdoorplay.com]

Step 2: Apply coupon FB20 to cart.

Step 3: Order and enjoy!

And if you need anymore motivation to buy this camera, watch this promo video (shot with the camera) [youtu.be]

gmcunni

i liked it. it is hard to judge a place (unfair really) based on a single visit considering the lack of snow we've had so far this year.

bigger than my regular hill so that's a nice thing.

liked that they had 3 high(ish) speed chairs serving 3 distinct areas of the hill.

my first ride up was on the lift that goes over the park. Park looked pretty good. I don't think they started requiring the extra pass yet. I didn't see anyone actually checking them (there was a guy in the booth at the top of the park but he wasn't doing anything). I skied down and got on another lift but that turned out to be the one servicing the beginner area. While not much of a challenge for me i recall thinking it was a pretty nice setup for noobs. pretty wide open and not terribly short of a run.

after that i rode the polar express (i think that was the name) for a few hours. i liked the well run lift lines with attendants who actually spoke to the customers.

hit some icey patches (which reminded me i had not yet sharpened my skis this season) but that's what you get with the weather we've had. i tried to chase the best snow as much as i could. took a few runs down Ralph Run. Between being pretty flat and very sunny it had some great snow.

i did almost get run over a few times - It looks like the shuttle kids from one side of the base to the other for lessons and i came around the corner of the lift coral and found a shuttle driver with a worried look on his face.

comparing it to places i've been before - it reminds me of a modernized Pat's Peak (size + vibe). If i found myself back in that area i wouldn't hesitate to revisit.

xlr8r

Was also at wawa but for a night session on 1/7. Good crowd for the weather. The warm temps made for some nice soft snow between 4:00 and 7:00 before things started firming up as the temps dropped.