• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

more killington fail

skiadikt

skied k yesterday. blackout pass holder who bought a day pass. best day of season for me. one complaint - holiday week charging prime rate $86 and the canyon chair isn't running. you're kidding ... very poor form. if you're not gonna run open all the key lifts, then maybe you shouldn't be charging your top rate and blacking people out.

bigbob

I'll be buying a day pass today also. Used my last floater and had a $30 Pico voucher I used yesterday. They should not black us out Ttues thru Fri this week. It was not crowded and they are loosing F & B $$$$.

deadheadskier

Staff member
By reducing the number of Black Out dates, wouldn't that just encourage more people to buy Black Out passes for next season and reduce their season pass revenue?

If they made an exception based upon business levels, wouldn't they open themselves up for complaints next season if they don't do the same?

I can appreciate someone being upset about lift closures when they are paying full holiday rates. Can't really get behind a Black Out pass holder being upset about being blacked out during holiday periods as that's what was signed up for when the pass was purchased.

SkiDork

I don't think being blacked out is what skiadikt was complaining about. He's complaing about the fact that on a blackout day they are not running all lifts. Since supposedly blackout days are the busiest periods

bigbob

Just look at what the compition has done. New England pass is not blacked out during this period. And I agree, full price, run all lifts, Bad enough all the terrain is not open!

Bacon

skied k yesterday. blackout pass holder who bought a day pass. best day of season for me. one complaint - holiday week charging prime rate $86 and the canyon chair isn't running. you're kidding ... very poor form. if you're not gonna run open all the key lifts, then maybe you shouldn't be charging your top rate and blacking people out.

Why not check the website before your trip?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think being blacked out is what skiadikt was complaining about. He's complaing about the fact that on a blackout day they are not running all lifts. Since supposedly blackout days are the busiest periods

Black Out comment was more geared towards bigbob's thoughts

Just look at what the compition has done. New England pass is not blacked out during this period. And I agree, full price, run all lifts, Bad enough all the terrain is not open!

Was this an in season adjustment by Boyne or were they not blacking out these days from the get go? If it was an in season adjustment, then I can understand where you are coming from. Not sure I agree with the business strategy as it might encourage people to downgrade from Silver to Bronze for next season.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Buying a blacked out pass and then getting upset and bitching about being blacked out is priceless. Paying full price for a lift pass and then not running all lifts, including the one that services a lot of advanced terrain is a travesty of a mockery of a sham!

drjeff

This begs the follow up question to asses the validity of your complaint about the Canyon Quad not running. How was the line for K-1 during the vast majority of the day then?

If K-1, the lift that one would be using to access the majority of the trails that Canyon Quad serves, had sizeable lines all day, then not running Canyon Quad could be an valid issue. If K-1 was averaging lines less than 5 minutes all day, then not running Canyon Quad isn't as big a deal.

deadheadskier

Staff member
This begs the follow up question to asses the validity of your complaint about the Canyon Quad not running. How was the line for K-1 during the vast majority of the day then?

If K-1, the lift that one would be using to access the majority of the trails that Canyon Quad serves, had sizeable lines all day, then not running Canyon Quad could be an valid issue. If K-1 was averaging lines less than 5 minutes all day, then not running Canyon Quad isn't as big a deal.

You have a valid point regarding lift redundancy, but it's not quite the same as say the two summit lifts at Mt. Snow. The Canyon run out sucks. Having to deal with the masses coming off of K peak kinda sucks to. Being able to lap the Canyon Quad is a bar better guest experience for that area of the mountain than having to use the K-1. So, I can appreciate someone paying the $86 walk up rate during a holiday week being at least a little bit upset that they don't have that experience available to them.

Geoff

Who cares? You can ride the box to get to Cascade and Snowdon to get to East Fall. It's not like you're going to be doing laps on Downdraft and Double Dipper. The snow for those was diverted to make 40 foot base depth for that lame-ass Dew Tour event.

Killington has a pretty good amount of terrain open.... for mid-December.

drjeff

You have a valid point regarding lift redundancy, but it's not quite the same as say the two summit lifts at Mt. Snow.

Wasn't even thinking about that comparison. The only potential comparison vs. something at Mount Snow that I remotely thought of was the Ego Alley and Sundance Triples, which are essentially always listed on weekends and holidays as "will operate if needed" and some days they do spin them for a few hours and others they don't.

The Canyon run out sucks. Having to deal with the masses coming off of K peak kinda sucks to. Being able to lap the Canyon Quad is a bar better guest experience for that area of the mountain than having to use the K-1. So, I can appreciate someone paying the $86 walk up rate during a holiday week being at least a little bit upset that they don't have that experience available to them.

Not a perfect scheme by any means for sure, but sometimes the knowledge that the run out to KBL is manadatory if you're headed down any of the trails into the Canyon area may actually help keep a few people off of them over the course of the day and thus make the better snow surface worth the PITA run out.

It's pretty apparent from some of the lift operations moves that K has made this year, with respect to the Northridge Triple and Bear Mountain Quad that they're running some lifts on a bit of an austerity schedule. That's a management descision. Is it right or wrong? I guess it depends on whose looking at it?

Another question I would have about K's lift operations yesterday is were they running atleast 1, if not both of the doubles on Snowshed on that full walk up rate day? I think that it's pretty safe to say that Snowshed gets more on hill volume per day than the trails in the Canyon do

drjeff

maybe we should consolidate the bitching to a single thread

You need to get some code written Nick that automatically shifts any thread with Killington in it into a newly created AZ "Bitch fest" forum category ;)

ozzy

It was a good thing that the CQ4 was down yesterday. Made it a lot easier to poach Big Dipper.