• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smugglers Notch 3/17

rocojerry

We were deciding on Stowe vs Smuggs for this fine St Pats saturday.

With the conditions of Mt Ellen the day before, I was hoping that potentially the northern facing Smuggs would fair better from last weeks melt more eastern facing Stowe or of course Spruce's southerly exposure which surely got beat up? It was surely spring skiing and conditions. The trails that were open were manageable and fun, while the ones that were closed were clearly done unless you like grass/rock hopping or have the old ski's/board to use.

So we took the extra time to drive around to Smuggs.. I was thinking the notch road( rt 108 ) was probably passable and snow-less, but still looks like the keep to the schedule and don't open it until may.
6852427526_abf46d61fc_z.jpg

We started the day in lot 1, folks already tailgating by the time we arrived (11ish)...
We ski'd down to the base and got our tickets-- We started the day off on Madonna, and ski'd chilcoot. The top had a nice big soft bump section, but most of the trail was not bumped up and made for a nice long warmup. We decided to stick to Madonna's lower blues for a while -- the gnarly terrain of Smuggs was not open, and glades were also done, so I was on ski's instead of my board. Although later in the day I saw patrol checking out/skiing Madonna's liftline, looked technical/sparse and not that appealing -- but it was a good story to tell if they did open it. Drifter was not good. I heard good reports from FIS, but didn't venture over there myself. Off of Sterling, Rumrunner to the Snake/Bite was probably my favorite trail of the day...
6852425956_c0b11d9c93_z.jpg

Looking over the map now, I missed a lot... need to see more of their trails next time and get a bit earlier start.

Stowe in the distance
6998550277_0f7dd60a50_z.jpg

Its tailgate season, make sure the back of the truck has the grill/cooler and camp chairs!

Last edited:

4aprice

Roco:

You were following me around or visa vera. Was at Smuggs on Sat as well after Ellen Friday. Beautiful day. Thought what was open skied pretty well. Even some woods on both Madonna and Sterling. Bet you didn't follow me to K on Sunday.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

rocojerry

Roco:

You were following me around or visa vera. Was at Smuggs on Sat as well after Ellen Friday. Beautiful day. Thought what was open skied pretty well. Even some woods on both Madonna and Sterling. Bet you didn't follow me to K on Sunday.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Oh yea, I did see some folks in doc dempseys glades... Did u find others?

Didn't make it to K Sunday, headed back to Boston for some Irish festivities--

4aprice

Not Doc's.(no map in my hand right now) There was one off of Drifter (short but sweet) just above the mid station. One off of Rum Runner on Sterling just past the Sterling Lift Line. FIS skied really nice too bad you didn't hit that. Saw the patrol on Madonna Lift Line but while that section looked skiable I can understand why it was closed and above that there's no way it was skiable.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

avery

We difinitely missed a bunch. A late start and st. patty's day lunchtime guiness slowed us down a little. So by the time we got over to the lift on skiier's left (can't remember the name), we were a little slower going. Alas, just checked the smugg's stie and it looks like yesterday was closing day. Until next year!