• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Washington East Snowfields 5/24

EPB

Date Skied: 5/24/12

Ski Area: East Snowfields- Mount Washington

Conditions: Wet. Sunny. About 60 degrees.

Trip Report:

After reading Snowmonster's thread from a few days earlier, I decided to take the drive up to the top of Mt. Washington to do some exploring. I got a little lost looking for snow, as it was my first time to the summit since I was a child and there was not much snow left to be had. The bumps and foot holes to which Snowmonster alluded were almost completely gone (with the exception of some small bumps at the bottom of the second snow patch). It was a gr eat time and I look forward to returning next year with more snow. Special thanks to Snowmonster for showing me that this was still possible.

Last edited:

snowmonster

Great job going for it! Glad that my adventure inspired you to make some turns, eastern powder baby!

There are more rocks poking out now but that snow looks mighty tasty. Looks like you had a good day. See you up there next year -- or next month!

EPB

Great job going for it! Glad that my adventure inspired you to make some turns, eastern powder baby!

There are more rocks poking out now but that snow looks mighty tasty. Looks like you had a good day. See you up there next year -- or next month!

Thanks man. It definitely did seem thinner than when you went. The warm weather did not help for sure. It was a great day and I hope to get out again if I have the chance.

drjeff

Based on the youtube vid that the Mount Washington Observatory put up about a storm that rolled across the top of the rock pile this morning, i'm guessin that snow patch took a bit of a hit today :eek:

Nothing like a squall line with a quick increase in winds of about 70mph!!

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
I skied them on Saturday and they were already quite a bit smaller. By Monday they had shrunk quite a bit, heavy rain probably signals the end of worthwhile skiing up there. The Bowl still had some reasonable terrain, however, depending on your definition of reasonable.