• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catamount Ski Area - 12/20/2005

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Tuesday, 12/20/2005 - 9:20 am - 1:40 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Catamount Ski Area, South Egremont, Massachusetts

Conditions: Machine groomed packed snow, death cookies, hardpack on ungroomed areas; Sunny, Cold in the high teens to lower 20's; light winds

Trip Report: Met up with ALLSKIING at Catamount today. The skiing was pretty good with a fast groomed surface on most trails. Skier's right of Upper and Lower Glade were a hard and unforgiving mix of hard pack and bumps which softened a bit as the day wore on.

I arrived a bit ahead of Dave and got two runs in before he arrived. We then skied mostly off the Ridge Double with one quick jaunt over to the new Triple. The terrain over there is a bit limited and not very challenging so we only rode that lift twice. We spent most of our time doing laps on Glade. There were actually some ungroomed areas, with hard and erratic bumps, but fun nonetheless. I skied until about 1:40 and Dave decided to stay a bit longer. I'd imagine he's on his way back to catch the Ferry out of Bridgeport as we speak.

Another great early season day. Catapult (the mountain's steep) and the Off Stage mogul field were both closed but we had fun nonetheless. The surface was fast, but edgeable and it softened up a bit. Not a single wait for a chair. After 1 pm, the light really started to flatten as the lazy December sun made its way back to the horizon. Dave was great company and fun to ski with. The only problem was, due to our great conversations, the lift rides and therefore the day, flew by too fast. Thanks for coming up, Dave!

I'll post some pics and videos later.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Absolute pleasure to ski with you Greg. Fun day..Catamount is a great little hill that has some fun steeps. I'm shot... legs, body, brain the whole deal..Can't wait to do it again. :beer:

Greg

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
I'm shot... legs, body, brain the whole deal..
Ha! I guess skiing icey pseudo-moguls for the better part of your second day out was probably not the best approach, eh? ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
No videos of Greg? Are you that good now? Don't want to show us up with the new boots? :lol:

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
No videos of Greg? Are you that good now? Don't want to show us up with the new boots? :lol:
Ha...yeah right. Sorry, no videos of me. I had my camera on video mode when I had Dave shoot some stills so we only got a few 1-2 second clips. Not worth the bandwidth to post them.

Vortex

This midweek thing is staring to sound like fun. Glad you guys had the run of the place.
I was at Pats for a race meeting. I brought my gear, but no lifts running. I tried.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bob R said:
This midweek thing is staring to sound like fun. Glad you guys had the run of the place.
I was at Pats for a race meeting. I brought my gear, but no lifts running. I tried.

Oh yeah....they don't start nightskiing until vacation time.

What did you think otherwise though?

Greg

Staff member
ALLSKIING sent me a few more pics that I added to the album.

Last edited:

Vortex

I thought it was dark TB. They were making snow so a few lights were on. The bar was small, but very nice. The ride was longer than I thought, I'm taking 89 next time. Rt114 at Rush hour well rush 2hrs was murder. Jk TB should be fun.