• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Greylock Thunderbolt Trail 1/10/2010

skidmarks

We started from Gould's Farm and took the Bellows Pipe Trail to the Summit of Mt Greylock.
Skied down the Thunderbolt Trail and cut through Greylock Glen on the way out.
Great conditions!! The snow was perfect! I find it amazing that we can have such a long run in Mass.
I'm not sure if we got every last bit of the trail but they talk of vertical drop of 2100FT!!
Thank You to The Thunderbolt Ski Runners who did an awesome job on maintaining the run.
It was a much better ski than it was 7 years ago. I'm very tempted to go again this Friday.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ThunderBolt2-097_.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Skid,
That is SO GOOD! I've never seen such an excellent video of the trail. You're absolutely right, the trail maintenance, along with excellent coverage is going to make for a helluva a race! You did a great job narrating it and making a story about it. Can't wait for the race now for sure. - Serious stoke for all racers and fans!

Jisch

Excellent

I am going to try and get up there this weekend, we'll see.

John

mlctvt

Looks great.
There's a great article in the latest AMC outdoors magazine all about the Thunderbolt trail and the races they had there in the mid 1930s. They had over 7000 spectators show up for these races. After WWII the races declined as skiers migrated to lift serviced ski areas.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Nice, dude. I need to put the race on my calendar. Not necessarily to do the race, but the TBolt has been on my BC to do list for a while now and that would be as good a time as any. Quite an event for the NE BC Community.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
stats

The original course was
Vertical Drop: 1,760 ft.

The "new" course is:
Vertical Drop: 2,050 ft.

Some facts on the new course:
Length: 1.6 miles (racing), 2.0 miles (total)
Average Grade: 16 degrees
Steepest Grade: 35 degrees
Narrowest Point: 15 feet at Needle's Eye

You're usually going pretty fast when you hit the Needle. No netting or other safety stuff .

Course Record: 2 min. 8 sec., set by Per Klippgen in
the 1948 Eastern Downhill Championship Race.The course record will be an interesting number to watch.

Tele, DH and Boarder categories.