• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole 1/12/10 video

Rambo

I ran across this video on youtube. So when a vid is placed on youtube it is there for anyone in the world to see. It is GSS doing some runs at JH using a helmet cam and it gives an interesting perspective. I thought some might be interested in seeing this.

Last edited:

Kerovick

There was this annoying sound coming out or my speakers, but other than that fun video.

Rambo

So JH is a bunch of groomers and 2 bump runs?

I guess Jackson Hole is really hurting right now for lack on natural snow cover. They list 160 acres of snowmaking coverage. So those trails shown in the video probably have some machine made base, so you don't ruin your skis from thin cover. Their business is really down from lack of snowstorms.

Moe Ghoul

I think most places in the intermountain west aren't having stellar years so far.

Jhole is having its worst year since '75. Was thinking of taking the wife out there at the end of the month for her b-day at the beginning of the season, but she figured out that Wyoming isn't in the southwest.:dunce: 3 cheers for geography classes! Glad we didn't book it now.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Jhole is having its worst year since '75. Was thinking of taking the wife out there at the end of the month for her b-day at the beginning of the season, but she figured out that Wyoming isn't in the southwest.:dunce: 3 cheers for geography classes! Glad we didn't book it now.

Yeah, Alta has less than a 50" base. They are usually upto about 80 + this time of the year by late January....when I usually go. I'm thinking it was some good karma that I didn't book it this year for the same time.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com

JH has had other bad years, I guess it depends on how you define worst. The first year, circa 1988, I opened my gallery on the Jackson Town Square the mountain didn't open until the day before Xmas.

Circa 1981 my first year working for the resort the mountain closed at the end of January due to warm rainy weather and even tho it reopened later most employees never went back to work. Two seasons later JH got a two week dose of the Pinapple Express, there were several avalanches, one on Moran Face, which killed a patroller, Tom Raymor, and the mountain was closed for those two weeks.

snoseek

Most of the west is having a pretty off year minus Sierra and Southern Colorado. Things are starting to improve as the snow is coming back but my hill is down probably 30 percent so far. I still remain optimistic and have had plenty of great days-just not a lot of deep ones yet. Wolf Creek, purgatory ect..... are doing very well right now