• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback: AZ Challenge-2006 Response/Feedback Thread

thetrailboss

Staff member
Excellent responses! I will say that Evan told me he would have gotten back to us sooner, but he has just moved and he just had his third child! Congrats! :beer: We really appreciate his efforts!

JimG.

Staff member
His reponse to my question about bumps was open and very honest. Sounds like it's going to become a bump mecca.

Evan is right on the money about maintaining bump courses...that's alot of work and it's the main reason I asked if any courses would be open to the public. I learned long ago to offer my services on a regular basis to help slip courses, build kickers, or do any of the various grunt work associated with course maintenance. That way, I have access to the course most of the time; I stay off when there's a comp or serious training going on.

Evan, use the public course to teach skiers the nature of the work that goes into it and request that they spend a bit of their time helping or learning to help. So especially important with kids.

Last edited:

Phildozer

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Whaleback is in financial trouble.

Let's hope they can pull it off for next season.

snowmaker4191

Website
www.snowhill.com.50megs.com
realy lets all hope. I think the problem was how little the passes cost I paid $15 for an all day pass. I mean come on now yes they only had 1 run from the top but I would have paid alot more then $15 to support them.

ga2ski

Drove by the Whale today and saw they were doing some work near the lodge. I couldn't really tell what they were excavating for whil driving 75mph. My guess was a new septic system. Anyone know know what they were doing?

ga2ski

ga2ski said:
Drove by the Whale today and saw they were doing some work near the lodge. I couldn't really tell what they were excavating for whil driving 75mph. My guess was a new septic system. Anyone know know what they were doing?

They are still working on whatever this is. .. anyone have any answers yet?

thetrailboss

Staff member
They have gotten a BMX park going by the base of the double it appears. And yes, they were going to build their indoor skate park near the lodge at that site near the lodge IIRC.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Whaleback has updated their website and is hosting a big concert this weekend. They do have a BMX park going and are doing a bar scene Thurs-Sat. Indoor skate park has been delayed until next spring due to rain.

He also has some freestyle camps going as well....