• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Arapahoe Basin - 2.25.11

gmcunni

Date(s) Skied: Arapahoe Basin

Resort or Ski Area: 2.25.11

Conditions: pow, snowing, windy at the top

Conditions: saved the best for last. I checked the morning report to see Abasin got 8 inches overnight and it was still snowing.

jumped on the bus (public transportation in breck/summit is awesome) and headed up to The Legend.

Upon arrival was greeted by an Ambassador who handed me a trail map and told us to go get some powder before it was chopped up. He claimed waist deep at the top. I clicked in to my 84 mm nordicas and immediately felt under dressed, every where i looked i saw people sporting things that looked more like water skis than snow skis. Pontoon, early riser, wide ass mofo skis abounded. We hopped on the new quad and headed up. We decided to take a few runs on the lower mountain first. There was plenty of untracked snow, thigh deep in spots.

Next we headed up to the top via the Lenawee triple. The wind was blowing up top so we decided to head back down. Less pow (i assume the wind had taken it) but with the low clouds and blowing snow we couldn't see a thing the whole way down to the mid-station. Next we headed over to the Pallavicini lift where we stayed the rest of our day. The trails visible from the lift were insane. We didn't venture down that way but rather lapped Powder Keg into the trees. every run through the trees as knee deep powder. I don't think i've ever skied anything like it before. A run down Exhibition as great, it was late AM but still untracked pow over bumps, what a frickin workout.

A few pics -

whiteout conditions
white_out.JPG

pow bumps
pow_bumps.JPG

going up Pallavicini lift
pan.JPG

Exhibition from the lift
exhibition_from_the_lift.JPG

deadheadskier

Staff member
HSQ at Abasin these days. That seems weird to me, though I haven't been in about 15 years.

It is my favorite place that I've skied in Colorado as well.

Puck it

did not. though looking at the trail map i think i remember seeing people on that trail as i rode up the lift. they were standing on rock outcroppings trying to get up their nerve to drop.

We hit it as the last run since we were right parked in front of lift. It is very steep. An understatement.