• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 2.27.11

gmcunni

Date(s) Skied: Ski Sundown

Resort or Ski Area: 2.27.11

Conditions: sunny, warm, spring conditions

Report: Funnest boring day I can recall. Boring in that i did the exact same run over and over and over:
  • Ride Chair 2
  • Turn Right to Gunbarrel
  • Make a few turns
  • Get a little air off the leftover feature on skier's right
  • Ski Bumps
  • Ski Nastar course

repeat about 15 times.

managed to score my first Nastar gold :spread:

Bumps were good too, preferred the lines to the left.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I saw you skiing the Nastar course. Heard your times announced a few times, too. :D

B and I were at Sundown this afternoon with the kids. Both have now skied from the top to bottom--our daughter in her weekly program, and the little guy with the 2 of us. He's scary good. Last week was the first time he went up a lift at all--the one at Little Joe and later in the day to ski Big Bend. Today, he took lift 1 to the top and skied Tom's Treat>Papoose>Exhibition. Can do quick, small turns really well--and no fear, which scares me. I'm sure Brian'll have him in the Ex bumps next week. Apparently, our daughter dabbled in them today with her group. Guess I'll be the only non-bumper in the family.

Then I worked tonight covering a shift for someone. Got a bit crispy after dark, but there were good spots to be found. Deserted, so it was like having the mountain to myself. :D

bvibert

Staff member
Nice work on the gold Gary! I was wondering if the bumps had softened up in the warm weather. I would have liked to try them, but I was having a great time skiing with my son, so that was a good trade off.

Greg

Staff member
Nice skiing Gary. You looked very good from my vantage point. Any time you didn't get a gold was when you went wide on the second to last gate and got hung up in the slush.

Congrats to the Viberts. Having your kids able to ski from the summit opens up a whole new experience for you guys in terms of family day skiing. I gotta get the girls back out. It's been weeks for them. Just so much going on during the weekends.

gmcunni

Nice skiing Gary. You looked very good from my vantage point. Any time you didn't get a gold was when you went wide on the second to last gate and got hung up in the slush.

i can see the draw of racing after only trying it a few times. The lady at the top(pinky?) made fun of my fat skis but i think they helped in the beginning when the snow was still carvable. once the turns got scrapped off my times got longer, i couldn't set an edge and carve the turns so i just skidded thru them.

also talked to Curt for a bit, i think i'll have Megan do the 2 hour coaching sessions next season. She flat out refuses lessons but liked the idea of a coach helping her with racing. Curt said they work on basics for each student and she'd probably get a good overall skiing eduction, not just racing tips. If we lived closer i'd consider putting her in the Saturday AM program.

wa-loaf

I saw you skiing the Nastar course. Heard your times announced a few times, too. :D

B and I were at Sundown this afternoon with the kids. Both have now skied from the top to bottom--our daughter in her weekly program, and the little guy with the 2 of us. He's scary good. Last week was the first time he went up a lift at all--the one at Little Joe and later in the day to ski Big Bend. Today, he took lift 1 to the top and skied Tom's Treat>Papoose>Exhibition. Can do quick, small turns really well--and no fear, which scares me. I'm sure Brian'll have him in the Ex bumps next week. Apparently, our daughter dabbled in them today with her group. Guess I'll be the only non-bumper in the family.

Then I worked tonight covering a shift for someone. Got a bit crispy after dark, but there were good spots to be found. Deserted, so it was like having the mountain to myself. :D

Should get our kids together for a ski day. I think they are about the same age.

gmcunni

almost forgot. Ski Patrol (God bless them) were doing training in the bumps. what is the point in making your way DOWN the bumps, wouldn't it be quicker and safer to practice going out to side?

1 time, they had cleared the bumps and were on the groomed section, there was a patroller in front, one in the sled (victim) and 1 guy behind holding a rope. the rope guy fell, held onto the rope and was being pulled by the sled until they realized he had fallen.

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
almost forgot. Ski Patrol (God bless them) were doing training in the bumps. what is the point in making your way DOWN the bumps, wouldn't it be quicker and safer to practice going out to side?

1 time, they had cleared the bumps and were on the groomed section, there was a patrolled in front, one in the sled (victim) and 1 guy behind holding a rope. the rope guy fell, held onto the rope and was being pulled by the sled until they realized he had fallen.

Can they go out the side when the bumps are on Nor'Easter?

That's why they train. Gotta practice when they can.

gmcunni

Can they go out the side when the bumps are on Nor'Easter?

That's why they train. Gotta practice when they can.

training now for conditions that won't exist until next december seems odd. shouldn't they be working on a diagonal exit strategy at this time of year? i'd think exiting sideways "feels" very different than going down.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
training now for conditions that won't exist until next december seems odd. shouldn't they be working on a diagonal exit strategy at this time of year? i'd think exiting sideways "feels" very different than going down.
Why don't you ask them?

Some of these people may be new to patrol, having just finished their first year of candidacy. It's like training for lift evacs in the summer. You do it when you can.