• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

are killington skiers more passionate about skiing or just a bunch of whiners?

frankm938

other areas are giving there closing dates (many earlier than killington). sugarbush has shut down mt ellen with great coverage (just like killington shutting down bear). but it seems that skiers at other mtns dont really care that there mtn is shutting down or they just accept it better. i know the kilington regulars (me included) are pissed about bear closing this wknd. and most arent happy with the may 1 closing date.
do we just like skiing more? or are we a bunch of bitches?

try to answer without mentioning pres smith!!!

powbmps

I think we're all just old :p, and remember the good ol' days.

"I used to walk 70 miles just to ski some bumps in May. Uphill both ways."

mediamogul

other areas are giving there closing dates (many earlier than killington). sugarbush has shut down mt ellen with great coverage (just like killington shutting down bear). but it seems that skiers at other mtns dont really care that there mtn is shutting down or they just accept it better. i know the kilington regulars (me included) are pissed about bear closing this wknd. and most arent happy with the may 1 closing date.
do we just like skiing more? or are we a bunch of bitches?

try to answer without mentioning pres smith!!!

K is my home mountain and I for one am happy to see people voicing their displeasure with managements decisions in such an open and vocal fashion. That is how changes are made. Skiers should voice their opinions about factors that directly influence them. Some may change some may not but in the end at least they didn't sit by quietly and watch their hill go down the crapper.

Also who the hell doesn't want to ski to June? Keep Bear open as long as there is snow and I would be ecstatic if I had one strip of snow on Superstar to ski until the bitter end.

neil

I think the biggest difference is that Killington spends a lot of time talking about how beastly it is and all that, but the actual behavior is totally different.

Black Phantom

I think the biggest difference is that Killington spends a lot of time talking about how beastly it is and all that, but the actual behavior is totally different.

Exactly. Talk, little action.

Bear should remain open due to the clsterf*ck that was the Dew Tour. That ruined Bear for a month.

K is not run by skiers(obviously).

Vortex

K is a great place with Great tradition. I skied it Early and late Season as a kid and young adult as well as many race days in my youth. You have pasion and tradition. Wish you well. We all are on the same team as patrons. Get as much as we can and have fun.

Riverskier

I don't think they are more passionate or a bunch of whiners (in general, there are exceptions to this :) ) I just think they have seen more drastic and negative changes to the way their mountain is run than the customer base of any other ski area in the northeast.

2knees

I think we're all just old :p, and remember the good ol' days.

"I used to walk 70 miles just to ski some bumps in May. Uphill both ways."

used to walk down to ski bumps. down downdraft headwall, down the superstar headwall even down wildfire in spots one year.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
K is my home mountain and I for one am happy to see people voicing their displeasure with managements decisions in such an open and vocal fashion. That is how changes are made. Skiers should voice their opinions about factors that directly influence them. Some may change some may not but in the end at least they didn't sit by quietly and watch their hill go down the crapper.

Also who the hell doesn't want to ski to June? Keep Bear open as long as there is snow and I would be ecstatic if I had one strip of snow on Superstar to ski until the bitter end.

Agreed, also, early/late skiing is something that has seperated Killington from other mountains for many years. Hate to see that disappear.

AMBR

I was totally and thoroughly mad as hell to find Bear closed already. If that makes me a whiner, so be it.

tjf67

K skiers are for the most part a bunch of whiners. Half the day they are on the deck drinking beer. They can still go up after they close and drink beer on the deck. Heck they could even bring there skis with them and lean them against the deck and tell each other how cool they are.:daffy:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
K skiers are for the most part a bunch of whiners. Half the day they are on the deck drinking beer. They can still go up after they close and drink beer on the deck. Heck they could even bring there skis with them and lean them against the deck and tell each other how cool they are.:daffy:

Not true, once mountain closes so do lodges. And you should know as well as anyone, going out on the deck drinking bear on a nice sunny spring day is part of the experience. Snow is the other part. No snow, it's like vodka and tonic without the vodka...

bobbutts

There are only a handful of resorts in the same league around here IMO. They are: Sugarbush, Stowe, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf. Sugarbush clearly has handled internet customer relations with class, Win and BMM seem universally respected. I hear less about Stowe here, but it seems to have happy customers too. Boyne has taken some heat here and there, but seems that their resorts are on the up and up with long season, expansions, and improvements.
Killington has cut services, and just has more things to whine about I think. Was going to list them but don't even have to, I think any regular reader here can probably recite them by now.

drjeff

There are only a handful of resorts in the same league around here IMO. They are: Sugarbush, Stowe, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf. Sugarbush clearly has handled internet customer relations with class, Win and BMM seem universally respected. I hear less about Stowe here, but it seems to have happy customers too. Boyne has taken some heat here and there, but seems that their resorts are on the up and up with long season, expansions, and improvements.
Killington has cut services, and just has more things to whine about I think. Was going to list them but don't even have to, I think any regular reader here can probably recite them by now.

Have they really cut services, or just changed the season length?? Big difference. Overall Powdr has made quite a few improvements to the physical plant that they inherited from ASC, AND changed their operations strategy. A good thing? A bad thing? A neutral thing? Well that probably depends on who you ask

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Have they really cut services, or just changed the season length?? Big difference. Overall Powdr has made quite a few improvements to the physical plant that they inherited from ASC, AND changed their operations strategy. A good thing? A bad thing? A neutral thing? Well that probably depends on who you ask

Agreed, to a certain extent, Powdr has been doing an excellent job. This year I think you would be hard pressed to find a mountain that has done a better job to ensure a good product, plenty of snowmaking, grooming when need. There were times I've gone after a thaw freeze cycle expecting to find sheets of ice and instead I was very pleasently suprised by finally groomed trails with minimal ice. But at the same time, the not only kept trails natural and bumped up where possible, they also started seeding bumps.

bobbutts

Honestly I didn't keep up this year and I think they ran the gondola, but closing it midweek for awhile was a big reduction for awhile. Also Pico's operations were reduced.

They did add the spq

reducing season length is the big one for sure though, it's the one that affects me and costs them my dollars since I get my pass elsewhere

Vortex

Agreed, to a certain extent, Powdr has been doing an excellent job. This year I think you would be hard pressed to find a mountain that has done a better job to ensure a good product, plenty of snowmaking, grooming when need. There were times I've gone after a thaw freeze cycle expecting to find sheets of ice and instead I was very pleasently suprised by finally groomed trails with minimal ice. But at the same time, the not only kept trails natural and bumped up where possible, they also started seeding bumps.

Maybe in Vt don't go there. :razz:

frankm938

lots of good opinions on this. i, for one, am really upset about bear being closed and have voiced my opinion to management. if the season were longer, i would ski longer. that seems to be the opinion of everyone i speak to at killington.
but when i talk to people that ski sugarbush (my brother has had a house there for 20 years) they are fine with the season length and that mt ellen closes early. same thing with the people i talk to at stowe.
i just find it interesting that the killington skiers react differently than at other mtns... maybe it is just the fact that we got used to a long season and now that the place is being run as a money making business, we just cant accept it. and all the people that want to ski until there is no more snow are pass holders
just an observation... not trying to offend anyone