• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3/9/08..Blue mountain..Spring Forward Winter's Back..

Hey All,

I'm back from a morning session at Blue mountain. My alarm clock went off at 6:10AM and I did not want to get out of bed. It was dark outside and the wind was howling. I got off to a fairly sluggish start but managed to get to the lower lot around 7:20AM. It was 24 degrees with strong winds and it was still pretty dark outside. I was among only three people waiting to be scanned in at 7:30AM. I first skied Challenge which was groomed hardpack but very edgeable. It was really fast despite the wind. Then I skied Razors which they blew snow on..the areas of newly blown snow were pretty nice but there were a couple areas they didn't hit so you had to stay well balanced betweeen the faster area of frozen granuler and the slower areas of fresh manmade Poe. I then skied a few more runs on Challenge and on the lift..a teenage kid asked me if I was Doug from PASR..it happened to be Skier1111...hailing from the mean streets of Bethlehem. We skied Paradise which had fresh manmade..then ran into Toast at the bottom of the 6-pack.

Toast joined me for the rest of my session. There was also fresh manmade on Main Street and in Barneys bumps but there was frozen crust lurking beneath the manmade. Switchback was pretty solid and Lazy Mile was fun. I was on my ElanS12s because they seem to be faster skis than my fat twins and better in the most solid conditions which the fat skis are better in mad sweet and low and mad applesauce. Crowds were light..probably due to changing the clocks an hour ahead and yesterdays rain. There weren't any liftlines during my session and they didn't run the quad at all. In total I skied 17 runs off the 6-pack in two hours and 20 minutes. When I left Blue a few minutes before 10:00AM..it was up to 26 degrees and still very blustery. I got spoiled by all the hero snow of the past week..which I prefer to hardpack..but I can't complain..Blue made it through another rainstorm and they still have a good amount of base left on all their trails. I expect the snowmakers to blow alot of snow tonight with temperatures expected to dip below 20 degrees. Holla

Greg

Staff member
Nice report. Not the usual off topic fluff. Much respect for getting out this morning.

your name is doug? :lol:

nice report. I'm suprised they're still making snow. I know crotched has wrapped it up for the season, and I imagine most other areas have followed suit.

Yeah my name is Doug..Blue generally makes snow right up until the end..temperatures permitting to provide a quality product for skiers and riders..The last they Blue was 3/13 in the early AM..

Okay, never mind I found it, didn't realize how far south this was......sounds like a fun mountain.

It's 1080 vert and 18 miles from my apartment. It's conveniently open until 10:00PM everyday and they have two high speed lifts. Today was a fabulous gaper day./.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah my name is Doug..Blue generally makes snow right up until the end..temperatures permitting to provide a quality product for skiers and riders..The last they Blue was 3/13 in the early AM..

I gotta ask, doesn't the fact they continue to blow snow up to 3/13, yet are closing on 3/22 bother you??? It sounds to me like purely a financial decision to close on 3/22 when they have the snow to stay open longer. Yet, blowing snow a week before closing seems like a pretty dumb financial decision.

ERJ-145CA

When I was at Blue last Tuesday I was riding the 6 pack and looking at the base thinking they could be open for another month. Then somebody on the lift told me they were closing on 3/22 and I was really surprised. Kind of disappointing because Blue is the closest mountain to my new house that's over 1000' of vertical besides Mountain Creek, and I really like to avoid MC. Blue is the best of the Pocono mountains that I have been to, I guess I'll be making the drive to Belleayre a bunch of times soon.

I gotta ask, doesn't the fact they continue to blow snow up to 3/13, yet are closing on 3/22 bother you??? It sounds to me like purely a financial decision to close on 3/22 when they have the snow to stay open longer. Yet, blowing snow a week before closing seems like a pretty dumb financial decision.

Well they usually blow right up to the end temperatures permitting..they typically close with all the trails and a 3-5 foot base. I'm glad they blew snow this past week..I don't care about their finances..they did over 300k skier visits this year and made a ton of money..I wish they stay open into April but I definitely got my moneys worth and will ski over areas when they close.

BTW the longest I waited in line today was maybe 10 chairs..and it's a Saturday..people are onto spring sports already here in PA