• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Asteroid to possibly hit earth in 2032

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Make these last 20 years count, folks.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-5...2032-well-maybe/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

Ukrainian astronomers discover an asteroid, called 2013 TV135, with the power of 2,500 nuclear bombs. It's officially described as "potentially hazardous." You've been warned.

NASA confirmed the analysis that there is a 1-in-63,000 chance that this thing might hit us and hit us hard. That seems, at least, more chance than a Miami Marlins World Series win or a Jacksonville Jaguars Super Bowl win.

Here's a fun site where you can "test out" different impacts to see what happens

http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth/

skiNEwhere

With all the countries that have nukes now, and all the countries that will have nukes by 2032, I'm not seeing the need to start stockpiling ramen noodles.....yet

skiNEwhere

There's probably a higher chance of nuclear states hitting other countries by trying to blow the asteroid off its trajectory than the asteroid actually hitting us :D

ScottySkis

With all the countries that have nukes now, and all the countries that will have nukes by 2032, I'm not seeing the need to start stockpiling ramen noodles.....yet

I don't think that will help. I watch the awesome show with Morgan Freeman and all the discovery channel and I heard them say more then once is nuclear with blow it up would be bad because then there are thousands of rock's coming at us. What they like to get the gravity to slightly change the orbit so over the course of 30 years we would make it miss Earth.

skiNEwhere

I don't think that will help. I watch the awesome show with Morgan Freeman and all the discovery channel and I heard them say more then once is nuclear with blow it up would be bad because then there are thousands of rock's coming at us. What they like to get the gravity to slightly change the orbit so over the course of 30 years we would make it miss Earth.

Morgan freeman is a smart man, not to mention he was president during an asteroid crisis as well, if that's what he says then I believe it :D

Edd

Please don't ban me but I can't resist using this:

e7ura7a2.jpg

ScottySkis

Please don't ban me but I can't resist using this:

e7ura7a2.jpg

You will get banned for that, they might delete it send you a PM, besides all these politicians are corrupt they don't care about the public this is why we need money out if it and other parties to have shots I stop now because I don't want to get into it here, besides Great day to be outside.

bigbog

Gotta love it:grin:....but it could've been a little better by including Gingrich, on top of the ridge...giving his last lecture to his last class...made up of dinosaurs...and Limbaugh, on the other side...talking through the airwaves to a landscape without any towers.... Knute is okay and Limbaugh is all theory...no hatred toward either.. Will sure keep some cable programs going....unfortunately some of our favorite "Analysts"(to beat upon..LOL) will leave on vacations to their hideaways, along with their donating politicians.

Last edited:

Cannon Gray

Collisions with the Earth may occur on August 26, 2032, but according to the Turin Asteroid Hazard Scale, a new celestial body can receive class 1 - the lowest rank, which means that there is practically no risk, but it is still not equal to zero.