• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backcountry Conditions 2016

BeefyBoy50

I got to ski at Seven Springs in shorts and a t-shirt last weekend, which is always great fun, but I had hoped February would have a lot of snow in store for the East. I'm quickly realizing now that March is next week, and then April won't be long after that - unfortunately, we don't really have much in terms of a snowpack going into the early spring.

Given the shitty conditions we've had this winter, is it still safe to assume that Tuckerman/other alpine backcountry areas will be open (and, importantly, with conditions that are enjoyable to ski) through mid-April (or even early May)? I've gotta start planning out my weekends for the next couple months and I don't want to set aside time for something that isn't feasible.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I got to ski at Seven Springs in shorts and a t-shirt last weekend, which is always great fun, but I had hoped February would have a lot of snow in store for the East. I'm quickly realizing now that March is next week, and then April won't be long after that - unfortunately, we don't really have much in terms of a snowpack going into the early spring.

Given the shitty conditions we've had this winter, is it still safe to assume that Tuckerman/other alpine backcountry areas will be open (and, importantly, with conditions that are enjoyable to ski) through mid-April (or even early May)? I've gotta start planning out my weekends for the next couple months and I don't want to set aside time for something that isn't feasible.
http://www.mountwashingtonavalanche...dvisory-for-tuckerman-and-huntington-ravines/

Pretty bony up there from the sounds of things ,March has a lot to make up for . Walking out really sucks.

jaybird

That is the most pitiful Rockpile Avi report I have ever read.
Lunch Rocks this spring may be lunch only :cry: