• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Mountain Of Maine 2/6/05

loafer89

After spending the night in Augusta my family and I decided to ski at Black Mountain Of Maine on our way torwards Sugarloaf. Black Mountain used to be a small family ski area in Rumford with 470' of vertical served by a T-bar. They now have a brand new triple chair to the true summit of the mountain and the vertical drop is now 1,100'

The conditions on sunday were really nice for early February and it was 46F when we arrived at the ski area around noon. The full day lift ticket good from 9am to 9pm was just $18.00, dirt cheap for an area with a brand new chairlift, a brand new base lodge and a paved parking lot, especially nice on such a warm day.

Snow conditions were 100% spring conditions and 12 out of 20 trails were open including two trails from the summit. Nothing was too extremly steep and everything was groomed, but the place was still fun and a great deal for the money.

Piscatiquis is a nice narrow short black run near the summit, Upper and Lower Rapid and Upper and Lower Androscoggin ski similar to Sluice and Spillway at Sugarloaf.

loafer89

They have a nice begginer area that has it's own 1,110 foot long double chair. I skied all three green trails with my son and he had a good time on them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks very much for the trip report! It's been great to see a small town area come back thanks to some help from a non-profit! I really want to try the place some time. :D

loafer89

I enjoyed the skiing at Black Mtn and I will be going back there again when we ski at Sugarloaf next year. The night skiing sounds interesting if a bit on the cold side, but you can't beat the price.

I did not mention this, but I did post some pictures of Camden, Black Mtn and Sugarloaf in the image gallery.