• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bolton Valley night riding.

Abominable

Is it really gonna r&%n on us for three straight days? Such a kick in the gut, dammit.

Quoting myself again... when I looked opened the weather the next morning I realized I'd been looking at Richmond, ME.

Anyway.... just back from a GREAT four days (Weds - Sat) at Bolton. Wed / Thur we did see a little drizzle, but that was actually a blessing as it kept the snow soft and, aside from the lower parts of Timberline lift, they had excellent coverage, with some dirt and rocks coming through only on the most sun exposed ungroomed stuff. Friday / Saturday got cold and windy and had to wait for sun to warm things up for the sweet spring corn skiing. But my son did not care and flew through all the low angle trees even when they were frozen potatoes at 9 a.m.

All in all, really enjoyed the place. Definitely an Indy - type place. Comparisons with Magic are appropriate, I think. If the only thing in play is man made / groomers, then it skis pretty small. But when it's all open, there's enough for days. Lot's of places to explore on map / off map. And off course the side country there is massive. Saw lots of folks skinning off into the woods off the Wilderness Lift.

Biggest highlight were the low angle woods on either side of Wilderness. I could just casually make some turns on the run and keep an eye on junior as he tore down the most consistently spaced low angle woods for almost a mile. Lower Corbass woods were great. Vista Glades. Hard Luck a nice steep groomer. Some great, classic trails there.

Stayed on mountain which was fine. Not four star, but folks were friendly and dining options were adequate and the rec center was a nice bonus for those with kids.

Also would like to say that BV has one of the most generous military discounts I've come across. I think it was 20% off the rooms and lift tickets (a little more for the rooms and a little less on the tickets?). And you don't have to be a retired 20 year combat veteran - anyone with a DD-214 qualifies (I only did two years and never left the states).

All in all a great value and a great trip. Obviously great snow makes any place shine. If they get what's coming to them this week It will be lights out.

crippity

Glad you had a great time. Love that place and probably because of the times ive spent there with my kids! It also has some balls to walls downhill mtb if you are into it.

abc

Friday night night skiing this week with light till 7 with all that new snow. LFG!!
I think they’re going to 12-7 the rest of season, which probably (I assume) means all trails are open till 7 ( not just the small sections for night skiing)