• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bretton Woods 03/09/13

hammer

Date(s) Skied: 03/09/2013

Resort or Ski Area: Bretton Woods, NH

Conditions: Packed Powder AM, spring PM, sunny and in 40s to 50, crowded at most lifts :-x, not crowded on advanced trails :thumbup:

Trip Report: Decided to brave the crowds to get in a nice sunny day in at Bretton Woods. Weather was just about perfect (perhaps just a bit on the warm side), conditions were about as good as it gets without being a powder day, but the lift lines and crowds were a bit much to take. Most of the HSQs had at least a 10-minute wait which forced us to do singles to save time.

This is only our second trip to Bretton Woods but the overall impression is that with the exception of the glades and a few ledges most of the mountain is very tame. To their credit they do leave sections of many of the wide trails ungroomed and they don't groom every trail. I didn't hit too many moguls but there were some to be had albeit on lower pitch trails.

My son and I did three runs off of the T-Bar...the blue glades on skier's left (one of which is just a narrow ungroomed trail) were just my speed. Toughest part of being on the lift was that it would get toasty on the ride up. Cover in those glades was great and while the snow was tracked out it was still nice. With my non-existent short turn skills I didn't want to try anything harder.

We learned that when it's crowded the best places to go are the Fayban's Triple, the Rosebrook Summit HSQ, and the T-Bar.

We do want to go back but the drive was long for us (2:20 or so each way), so if/when we go back I'd rather go on a weekday and combine it with an overnight stay.

Euler

It's a tame hill with some fun low angle trees. If you go back, try to find a way to combine it with a stay in the Mt. Washington Hotel across the street. Just staying in that beautiful place is worth the drive!

jack97

We do want to go back but the drive was long for us (2:20 or so each way), so if/when we go back I'd rather go on a weekday and combine it with an overnight stay.

It takes me around 2.5 hrs..... what we normally do is stay at Littleton for overnights, its easy access to 302 and about 30 to 40 mins away from BW. The town has several cheap motels, plenty of dining options or food markets if you want to bring stuff back to the room or to the lodge.

Last edited:

octopus

yeah, stay at the mt. washington resort, its real nice....and for minimum $200 a night it should be. when i'm short on cash i would stay at attitash mtn village,about 3o mins from bretton.

Euler

yeah, stay at the mt. washington resort, its real nice....and for minimum $200 a night it should be. when i'm short on cash i would stay at attitash mtn village,about 3o mins from bretton.
Specials, got to find the specials...nothing's worth $200 a night, but you can frequently find deals for around $70 pp that include 1 night at the MWRH and TWO days of skiing. Two years ago it was $100 a ROOM not per person for the deal...I was pretty smug staying and skiing for $100 a night!

hammer

I think you get 2 lift tickets included with your stay...which at $70 per ticket (have not seen many discounts) makes the room a better deal. Will check into that and other opportunities next season.