• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bretton Woods 3/27/05

loafer89

My son and I were back at Bretton Woods again for a full day of skiing and further exploration of the mountain. Unlike skiing on friday, Easter sunday was warm and sunny from start to finish and with no cloud cover, snow conditions were spring snow on about 75% of the mountain. Warren and I started the day skiing on West Mountain taking runs down Avalon, Jacobs Ladder and Star King, all of these trails had fantastic groomed snow which at this early hour (9:30am) were semi-packed powder.

We continued skiing back to Mount Rosebrook via Crawford Ridge and skied down Bigger Ben to Bretton's Wood, where Warren found some Easter eggs that had been stashed along the trail to his great delight :D :D . We also skied Sawyer's Swoop which is a really nice and long green trail with a great even pitch.

Warren took a ski lesson from 12-3pm, which gave me a chance to explore the steeper parts of the area, especially all of the glades. My first runs were off of the Summit Express chair and I skied Snake, Zealand, Bode's Run and Black Forest Glade which had nice evenly spaced trees and was a good warm up for steeper glade skiing to follow.

I made it into the Rosebrook Canyon glade system and I skied down Enchanted Bear and Minahan's Ridge which were both challenging and narrow. Another run onto Roz's glade was really fun and about 10-15' wide with gully type skiing. The glades in that area are very fun and some are really steep and a nice addition to the mountain. I also skied down Waumbek and John's Grave glade on West Mountain and had a blast.

I ended the day slightly sunburned and with a great ski day experience. Warren had a good lesson and he is now a strong intermediate skier. :eek: