• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke 12/22/08 (AM)

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Sweetness!!!!! Since Powderfreak is on sabatical, I'll try to supply some deep powder stoke :wink:

Hit Burke for some Dawn Patrol to get some of the freshies on the "not yet opened this year" trails. With all of the powder 16"+, hit Ledges first. Wind swept on the skiers right but super deep drifts on the left. A bit of wind slab had formed as well. Still sweet!

Nate on Ledges:
DSC01151.JPG

Hiked back up and hit Doug's Drop. Lots of powder here as well. Looks like the poachers had been in full effect yesterday since there was evidence of tracks under the new snow. Oh well, it was still worth it.

Nate on Doug's
DSC01056.JPG

Me on Doug's
DSC01152.JPG

DSC01073.JPG

Put the camera away for a few runs off of the lift and then patrol opened the woods so we had to get some more shots.

Nate (undisclosed location)
DSC01155.JPG

Me in the same area:
Stupid trees ruin so many shots :-D
DSC01158.JPG

Setting up for the money shot in crazy deep pow...
DSC01157.JPG

Money shot!
DSC01156.JPG

Legs were starting to wear out at this point and it was time to head to work. It was an excellent 5 hours.

snoseek

You have my attention. Quality pics on what looks like a stupid fun day. For the first time in ages I would have swapped New England for Loveland today.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe I'm seeing things, but it appears your friend isn't wearing goggles? I couldn't imagine skiing in todays cold temps in that much snow without em, my eyes would freeze

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Maybe I'm seeing things, but it appears your friend isn't wearing goggles? I couldn't imagine skiing in todays cold temps in that much snow without em, my eyes would freeze

You are correct. He wasn't wearing goggles. He had his motorcycling goggles on his forehead but they were too dark for the dense overcast lighting so he couldn't see anything. He is currently still learning powder and was skiing very upright and in the back seat a lot today to keep the snow out of his eyes (he was also on rather narrow racing skis). Halfway through the day he asked me where the best place to buy googles was :smile:.

You are correct. He wasn't wearing goggles. He had his motorcycling goggles on his forehead but they were too dark for the dense overcast lighting so he couldn't see anything. He is currently still learning powder and was skiing very upright and in the back seat a lot today to keep the snow out of his eyes (he was also on rather narrow racing skis). Halfway through the day he asked me where the best place to buy googles was :smile:.

Gaper..lol..but a gaper skiing deep powder..