• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camden Snow Bowl 2/5/05

loafer89

Now that I have arrived at home I can post about my pre Sugarloaf skiing from the weekend of 2/5-2/6. I arrived at Camden Snow Bowl at about 2:00pm after a nice drive up the coast from Portland. The weather was sunny and it was about 40F when I arrived. This is a small ski area with 950' of vertical and 10 trails, but it is only 3 miles from the sea coast. There were only two trails open from the top (clipper and Mussel Ridge) but the view of Penobscot Bay was really nice from the summit. The snow was soft and sort of in between packed powder and spring depending on the exposure. The lift ticket was $20 and the area was serviced by an ancient Hall Double chairlift.

The base lodge is a quaint A-frame structure and was fairly crowded with the nice weather and weekend skiers.

dmc

loafer89 said:
The snow was soft and sort of in between packed powder and spring depending on the exposure.

Sounds like the classic coastal condtions thing..
Cool..

Joshua B

I was really happy to see a report from Camden. It's probably the first I've seen on the internet.

So the main T-bar wasn't open?

loafer89

No the main T-bar was not open which was suprising based on the number of people there on the weekend. I think that it might not have been running due to the lack of snow on the trails in that area, as there was only about 4-6" of slushy wet snow left on the ground by saturday afternoon on the non snowmaking runs.

The parking lot was a SEA of mud with even the four wheel drive vehicles getting stuck if they were not carefull.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Camden

ski_resort_observer said:
The National Toboggen Championships they have there every year is an event everyone should see in their lifetime. Unreal

What is the date of that event?

loafer89

I believe that that event was ongoing on the day that I was there, but that area of the mountain was really crowded and the parking lot was muddy making walking over to see the tobbogan track difficult. There were alot of people out on the lake where the track ends, but the lake ice looked on the slushy side to me as it was a very mild February day.