• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 3/19

ceo

Date(s) Skied: March 19, 2011

Resort or Ski Area: Cannon

Conditions: Icy early, then softened up

Trip Report: Kidlet (6) and I finally managed to get up to Cannon again for what is probably our last outing of the season. After dropping him off at ski school, I headed for the summit and warmed up on Vista Way, which was nice up high but had icy frozen moguls in the lower section. Was quietly relieved to find Kinsman Glade closed. :) Down By-Pass to PFE and Paulie's, which was groomed on the right and bumped-up on the left; ripped the bumps to the best of my meager ability. Up the tram and down Taft Slalom to Upper Hardscrabble; was planning on Middle but it was closed, so headed down Lower instead. Redball featured my new least favorite snow condition: frozen straight ruts that made it hard to stay centered; kind of like driving over a bridge with a steel grid deck. Spent the rest of the morning on the upper mountain; Upper Cannon and Upper Ravine were nice if a bit scratchy. Did Ravine to Turnpike on the way down to pick up the kid.

After lunch Benjamin wanted to go up Peabody, so we did, and then up Cannonball. He's learning to use poles, but was having a bit of trouble with them. Upper Cannon had gotten scratchier and he fell a couple of times, but did better on Middle Cannon. He wanted to try Rocket but changed his mind when he looked down it, and decided to go back down to Peabody base rather than going over to the tram. At the bottom he was tired and frustrated and wanted to go home. I had figured out by this point that the reason he was having so much trouble with his poles was that his ski gloves are too big and he was having trouble gripping them. After some discussion I persuaded him to do some runs on Tuckerbrook. We did some runs on Turkey Trot, where he went over some of the jumps but didn't get any actual air. :) Then he wanted to try Robin's Nest Glade, and despite ending up in a hole I had to lift him out of, his new favorite thing was now definitely the glades; we did that and Peregrine Parkway until the lifts closed.