• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Compression straps?

twinplanx

With the lift serviced skiing sadly getting scarce I've found myself considering how to rig up a pair of skis to a backpack. Can compression straps be bought separately, like can I incorporate them to an existing pack? What should I look for in a compression strap? It seems you would need at least two for each ski, maybe more depending on weight?

kbroderick

The best solution is a pack with a built-in ski carry system; I personally prefer diagonal carries (such as those on my Dakine packs--a Tactic and a Vertex), but some people prefer a-frame carries (which are often doable with the compression straps on packs that weren't designed to carry skis).

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
The best solution is a pack with a built-in ski carry system; I personally prefer diagonal carries (such as those on my Dakine packs--a Tactic and a Vertex), but some people prefer a-frame carries (which are often doable with the compression straps on packs that weren't designed to carry skis).

I find a-frame to be better. With the diagonal, especially if you carry a heavy load, your skis a placed further back and this causes your pack to pull away from your pack. That ofcourse holds true for heavier pack and tougher hikes. If it's lightweight and an easy hike, then either is good