• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you know there’s skiing in India?

Funky_Catskills

And....uncrowded...
Maybe 70 upper mountain skiers when I was there. The lower area was packed with people doing all kinds of messed up stuff. Skiing on homemade skis and boards, etc... The gondola is owned by the Indian Military to access their high altitude military "base". Once they shut the gondola down and the line queued up. By the time we got there there was about 70 people waiting... Our guide asked us for some $$ to give to the military guys to reopen the gondola as they sometimes shut it down just to get money to reopen it. :)
Since we paid the guards off we jumped the line.

dblskifanatic

There are some good segments in a few ski movies from Warren Miller and TGR that are about skiing India.

kingslug

I think I saw one where they were skiing with bodyguards. Interesting. The one with the Russian helicopter was the best..not sure where that was but one of the skiers took one look at it and was not getting on it.

Funky_Catskills

I think I saw one where they were skiing with bodyguards. Interesting. The one with the Russian helicopter was the best..not sure where that was but one of the skiers took one look at it and was not getting on it.
We walked into the hotel lodge one night. And there were 2 scary dudes with guns under their coat- Which they allowed us to catch a glimpse. (Outside because no guns allowed in the lodge. - We basically ran the lodge for 6 nights. We brought our own booze - setup a boom box and partied with anyone there. The night we saw the guards there were like 10 guys all sitting around in a circle in a little depressed area for hookah smoking. Interesting bunch all different types of Indians from yuppie looking dudes to Sikhs.. I walked by and said "hi" with a bottle of tequila in hand and they called me over. Asked to trade shots of tequila with Japanese whiskey.. I was down and sat down with them. I was BS'ing with the most talkative guy - I guessed where his cousins lived in NJ(Edison) and we were laughing and drinking. One of the guys goes to me in a low voice "hey man - that guy you're talking to is our boss" and continued "we are as you way - bookies - and we all did really well on the cricket match last week. So we are just laying low up here". So basically I was hanging out with the Indian mob and they were super cool. They even asked if I wanted one of the girls they brought.. I politely declined. We had so much fun - even took some pictures with them if I promised to wait to post them

abc

raachotrekkers

Website
raachotrekkers.com
They do have some of the highest mountains in the world. I went to Manali once. They were allowing sledding and had lots of people walking around on the lower slopes. Skiing there would be....... interesting. Would like to do some higher elevation stuff there sometime.
Skiing championships are organised every year in Kaza town of Spiti valley and Narkanda town of Himachal and Auli of Uttarakhand. Both ski slopes are 3000m+ high.

Last edited: