• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Golf ?

Warp Daddy

Yep gotten bitten with this addiction too !! My wife and started 4 years ago . I luv it but man it's a humbling game at times ! Mostly mental . I Usually play 3 days a week over a 6month period . What got me hooked was a hole in one in my second season -- unbelievably lucky

Can't play NOW . I believe I've got a "sports-hernia " injury that prolly will need to be surgically addressed but will find out for sure sometime next week. Till then limited movement ,

Golfed last sat had to quit after 9 struggled to walk up the last fairway ----------------------------------------Damn i can't stand NOT playing

drjeff

what's so tough about 8 foot high rough, concrete greens and 470 yard par fours?????

That's the easy stuff, it's those 2 foot wide fairways that don't even begin until you're 250/260 off the teebox :eek: That's where it get's fun ;)

In all seriousness, the "primary" rough they grow is ridiculous. I was on the grounds watching the US OPEN 2 years ago at Winged Foot, and you'd stand at the edge of the ropes lining the fairways, and a couple of time, one of the pros drives came to rest within maybe 2 yards of where I was standing, and even from my lofty 6'3" perch you still couldn't see the ball from 2 yards away :eek: :eek:

bill2ski

I was, quite literally, shamed into golfing, for the first time, on Fathers Day,last year.
I remember showing up with a brand new package of 3 balls, ready to play, "better safe than sorry", I thought, " what if I should lose one". After my, potently ex-friend, stopped laughing. He assured me that I would undoubtedly require several more, if my intention was to actually play the game.He was right, Heeding his advise, I purchased a dozen more at the pro shop, while renting clubs.
Without, so much as a practice swing, I was pointed in the direction of the white tees and as my eyes followed the outstretched arm of my companion. I was given to notice a small yellow flag in the distance. This presumably, was our intended target.
Initially contacting the ball proved to be more difficult than I had anticipated and my opening drive ( when I finally hit the thing ) fell somewhat short of my expectations. To be truthful, it went about 30 feet to my extreme right. The rest of the game went pretty much like that with more success on the greens, due to, years of mini golf with my kids.
Not one, to relent and seeing no reason to subject my self to more abject humiliation. I decided to forgo the courses,for the rest of the season, intent on perfecting my swing and adding to my overall knowledge of the game.
Like a caraway seed stuck in a wisdom tooth, I could not get this game out of my head.
Until snow started flying. And as a out West back East type season commenced, golf thoughts took a backseat and swings on green, gave way to turns in powder.
As a banner ski season ebbed" the seed" reemerged.
Time to put up or shut up.The transformation from BILL2SKI to BILL2GOLF was seamless. Having purchased Clubs,spikes,balls,attire and so forth over the winter.
Thus far this spring.I have played 12 rounds, with countless trips to the range, ever sense the first track in our area opened, I actually scored a Mainer trifecta by skiing, trout fishing and golfing all on the same day in April. Very cool ,Very exhausting.
I took a five day 4-7:00 pm lesson with the Pro at my home coarse, which greatly improved my swing, to the point where I now can play at a suitable pace with score cards boasting some pars, many bogeys and a few birdies to boot.
I have drank the KOOLADE and there is no turning back.
As expected, my now 13 y.o. son has taken my lead and will undoubtedly soon surpass my own ability, as he has done so often in each endeavor he undertakes. From the moment he took his first steps he has been trying to beat the competition.
He's definitely a chip off the old block.