• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

good news for uconn....

Website
maps.google.com
STORRS, Conn. -- The University of Connecticut says it has a new contract with basketball coach Jim Calhoun.

Connecticut will hold a news conference at 10:45 a.m. Friday to announce a four-year contract for Calhoun, whose current deal expires June 30.

The 67-year-old Hall of Famer has won two national championships at Connecticut and was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2005.

Several off-the-court issues had prompted questions about Calhoun's future last year, and questions were raised again after he took a medical leave of absence in January, missing seven games with an undisclosed condition.

"Let me officially put to rest the speculation about my future at UConn," Calhoun told ESPN.com in March. "We are close to finalizing a new contract and I plan on continuing as the head coach of the men's basketball team for several more years."

The Huskies (18-16) lost to Virginia Tech in the second round of the NIT.

Information from ESPN.com senior writer Andy Katz and The Associated Press was used in this report.