• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Granite Gorge NH Oct Opening?

bobbutts

According to this article in skinh magazine article
http://www.skinh.com/uploads/Mag0809/SkiNH_ResortUpdates.pdf

"Granite Gorge made major upgrades to its
snowmaking system, which now reaches the
summit. The capacity of the system has been
quadrupled, thanks to state-of-the-art 2009
Areco Supersnow tower and portable guns. Snow-
making improvements have allowed for a
projected opening date of late October 2008.
Three new trails have been cut, including Glider,
a beginnerís area, a regular trail and another
area of glades to be called Patriot Glades.
Guests will also have an option for valet parking.
Thereís an all-new rental equipment facility, and
improvements to the base and summit lodges. "

I'll be there if it happens :p

roark

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad little places like GG exist but it really can't be compared with larger areas.

My first thought reading that was it was a ski version of the Onion. Valet parking? It's great to see improvements made, but they still have a way to go. I don't see valet every being something GG patrons would use. If they do the race thing again this year I might go.

The website is a bit clearer than the article:
Yes, Granite Gorge has snowmaking to produce reliable great skiing conditions to the midstation, about 3/5 of the way up the mountain. We also have added this year 2 brand new 2006 Areco Super Snow Tower Fans, 7 new state-of-the-art nozzles for our LP3 Gooseneck watersticks, and new snowmaking and lighting on Liftline and Jumper trails, including the more difficult Jumper Terrain Park.

So unless there's a lot of natural snow still very limited terrain. If there is anything in October, I suspect it will be the handle tow park area and tubing (which undoubtedly makes more $$ than the skiing).

millerm277

My first thought reading that was it was a ski version of the Onion. Valet parking? It's great to see improvements made, but they still have a way to go. I don't see valet every being something GG patrons would use. If they do the race thing again this year I might go.

I know nothing about the area, but if done correctly, it might not be a bad idea. I'm sure lots of people would pay $5 to not have to carry all their gear to their car across the usually unpaved and icy parking lot.

roark

I know nothing about the area, but if done correctly, it might not be a bad idea. I'm sure lots of people would pay $5 to not have to carry all their gear to their car across the usually unpaved and icy parking lot.
If it were like some of the larger areas, but again, GG is small. Unpaved and icy lot is correct. But it's not a long walk.

:lol::lol: valet might be useful if it's across the bridge and right up next to the yurt :lol::lol:

roark

So unless there's a lot of natural snow still very limited terrain. If there is anything in October, I suspect it will be the handle tow park area and tubing (which undoubtedly makes more $$ than the skiing).

According to their new website (well at least part of it, much still needs to be updated) they will indeed have snowmaking to the top. Big improvement. Hopefully some water available on the west side?

jerryg

They probably forgot that they even put that on the website. :smash: