• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Great Article on Night Skiing

Sky

re: only Mass areas...

Hey Boss...quit speed reading these articles pal...Pats is mentioned, Shawnee peak is the first hill mentioned...maine, 128 beltway, berkshires etc.

I was surprised at the 7.2% of skiers ski @ night factoid (Night skiing is an acquired taste. According to a report furnished by the National Ski Areas Association in Lakewood, Colo., only 7.2 percent of skiers in the Northeast ski at night.). Maybe New England-wide...but Wa cranks @ night. And what would Colorado know about night skiing in NE?!

*lousy statisticians*

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I love the option of night skiing. Sometimes when I am headed up north to Sugarbush or wherever I will go over to Jiminy and do a few hrs of night skiing and then start heading north again...Its great

LVNLARG

Sky521 said:
re: only Mass areas...

Hey Boss...quit speed reading these articles pal...Pats is mentioned, Shawnee peak is the first hill mentioned...maine, 128 beltway, berkshires etc.

I was surprised at the 7.2% of skiers ski @ night factoid (Night skiing is an acquired taste. According to a report furnished by the National Ski Areas Association in Lakewood, Colo., only 7.2 percent of skiers in the Northeast ski at night.). Maybe New England-wide...but Wa cranks @ night. And what would Colorado know about night skiing in NE?!

*lousy statisticians*

Hey Sky521.....quit speed reading Trailboss' 1 LINE posts....he said he was disappointed there were no PICS of hills other than those in Mass.....not mention of. :blink:

Sky

LVNLARG said:
Hey Sky521.....quit speed reading Trailboss' 1 LINE posts....he said he was disappointed there were no PICS of hills other than those in Mass.....not mention of. :blink:

DOH! You know...I even went back to his post and the link...TWICE!

Reminds of the movie "The Point"..."You see what you want to see...and you hear what you want to hear".

*sigh*

Sorry Boss.

bvibert

Staff member
Well at least CT got a mention, too bad its wrong.. :roll:
Night skiing article said:
Hartford skiers and snowboarders drive 45 minutes to make runs at Mount Southington in West Hartford, one of a handful of nocturnal spots in Connecticut.

For the record Mount Southington is technically in Plantsville, but it may as well be Southington. Thats about 30 minutes from Hartford and maybe 20 from West Hartford where the article says it is... :roll:

LVNLARG

Sky521 said:
LVNLARG said:

DOH! You know...I even went back to his post and the link...TWICE!

Reminds of the movie "The Point"..."You see what you want to see...and you hear what you want to hear".

*sigh*

Sorry Boss.

I atleast got a good :lol: out of it. :lol: Think of it that way...you were entertaining :lol: :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, I was not surprised that only Mass areas were depicted. They did a good write up of other areas. TWELVE night ski areas in Maine? :blink: I can only think of maybe six or so:

• Shawnee
    Abraham
    Lost Valley
    ????

LVNLARG

thetrailboss said:
Yeah, I was not surprised that only Mass areas were depicted. They did a good write up of other areas. TWELVE night ski areas in Maine? :blink: I can only think of maybe six or so:

• Shawnee
    Abraham
    Lost Valley
    ????

Hmmmm...

Big Rock
Herman
Black Mtn
Camden Snow Bowl
Eaton Mtn.
Mt. Jefferson

Still 3 shy of 12.... I don't know how all those places survive given Maine's population and wealth. Bangor (which is the market for 3 or 4 of those mountains) doesn't even have a real night club (one of my businesses) but has 4 ski area's ?!!?.

LVNLARG

thetrailboss said:

• Shawnee
    Abraham
    Lost Valley
    ????

Found 2 more.... Titcomb Mountain...oldest club run mountain in the USA (1932) < So they say... and Seacoast Snow Park < Barely qualifies as a hill but you can put 1 or 2 planks on and slide down it. Grand total now...11.

trackbiker

"only 7.2 percent of skiers in the Northeast ski at night."

That figure is likely a lot higher here in PA. Where almost every area offers night skiing. One exception being Jack Frost. Where I haven't skied in over 20 yrs. because of the weekend lines.
The cost is usually less than half of a day ticket for 6 hours skiing vs. 8 hours and there are no lines at night. I bet that I get more runs in at night that most people do during the day. Sometimes, depending on the conditions, the snow is scraped off the middle of the trails. But that happens by 10:00 am on weekends. It's usually better at night on weeknights than by after 12:00 on a weekend.
Why wait till the weekend? I usually ski at night on the weekends as well if I am staying in PA. The lighting is much improved over what it was 20 years ago at most areas.

Mark D

trackbiker said:
"only 7.2 percent of skiers in the Northeast ski at night."

That figure is likely a lot higher here in PA. Where almost every area offers night skiing. One exception being Jack Frost. Where I haven't skied in over 20 yrs. because of the weekend lines.
The cost is usually less than half of a day ticket for 6 hours skiing vs. 8 hours and there are no lines at night. I bet that I get more runs in at night that most people do during the day. Sometimes, depending on the conditions, the snow is scraped off the middle of the trails. But that happens by 10:00 am on weekends. It's usually better at night on weeknights than by after 12:00 on a weekend.
Why wait till the weekend? I usually ski at night on the weekends as well if I am staying in PA. The lighting is much improved over what it was 20 years ago at most areas.

I love my southeast pa night skiing at Bear creek. and yes they all do except Jack frost but the ticket also works at it sister mt. Big Boulbder that does have night skiing. i love going after school and boarding until 10 pm.

ski_adk

I'm a night skibum over at Jiminy and I love it. Even though the center of the trails can be very skied off...you can often find plenty of softness on the edges. Go when a storm is rolling in and wow...just wow! You might not see much, but it will feel like heaven. Stay really late and you just might catch some fresh corduroy as the groomers move about the mountain.

Terry

I night ski at Shawnee Peak at least 3-4 nights a week! It can't be beat. Low crowds, good snow, moon and stars, and sometimes snow storms.There is also the night race leagues which are also great fun! It won't be long now! :beer: