• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help with an AT boot fit question

Blue

Hi,

I have large calves. It's just a fact. I'm a female, 5'4, weigh around 127, but my calves are large (I play ice hockey and hike, which are contributing factors).

I am worried I won't be able to find an Alpne Touring Boot that will fit me. I recently purchased Lowa Strukturas from the internet, and of course, I put them on and at the very last clasp (largest setting) on the top of the boot. My calves were in desperate pain.

What should I do? Is is safe to modify a boot with a different top boot clasp? It is difficult to find AT boots in outdoor gear / ski stores New England to find the perfect fit. If you know of any stores that carry AT gear, please let me know (I live in NH).

Thanks,
Blue

JimG.

Staff member
Find a professional bootfitter...that goes for any ski boot you're thinking of buying. If there is a way to modify the Lowa without compromising performance, a bootfitter will have the knowledge to make it work for you.

When I bought my Garmont Adrenalins I had to try on 3 pair before I got the basic fit I wanted. Garmont was very accomodating about this and exchanged the boots without question. Again, it helped I went through my bootfitter who is also a Garmont rep. He doesn't stock AT boots, but his rep helped me in the fitting/return process.

I have also had good luck with Scarpa exchanging boots until they fit right. Unfortunately, Lowa is a brand I have no experience with.

AHM

Easy to solve........

Blue:

1. should be easy to either find a longer bail. In this regard I would actually just call Lowa USA and ask. If they do not have longer bails (ie from a large guys boot), then find one at a local shop. Just go in the back and look through the buckle pile.

2. See if the buckle screws out, it should be micro adjustable and this may be all you need.

3. Look on the upper cuff and see if the hook section (not the clasp/buckle) adjusts via a screw set. You can move this piece between two settings on many boots.

4. Move the buckle. Very easy to do. In the gear forum we are in, there is a thread about someone's boots not fitting. I wrote a pretty big section on moving buckles and how to do it. It is quite easy. You can do it or a decent shop should have no problem with it. I move buckles all the time for my own boots and for others, so I find it easy to do. It also makes later buckle replacement a snap cus your buckle now screws in, and in the backcountry, a busted buckle on a rivet means your SOL, but screwed in, and it is an easy fix.

If you have any other questions, drop me a PM. What I might consider--this is how I bought AT boots--is to order a bunch of boots from say Bent Gate Mountaineering in Boulder (they have an internet site). They will ship free. You test them out in your house and pick the best fit. Send the others back. Shipping to you will be free, you will pay for shipping back, but you save on the gas to the store, so its a wash.

Skiiboot

Blue,

There are a lot of adjustments that can be made to AT boots, there are also some things that can be done under you foot to help th postion of your calf. You are not the first person to have this problem.

Thanks

Jeff

kbroderick

If you're considering alternate boots, I just found out today that Garmont does have a women's-specific AT boot (the Zena); I would expect them to accommodate a larger calf, but I'm not sure where you might be able to find a pair to try on.

AHM

Blue: for a choice in AT boots.........

1. Start with the current issue of Coulior and they go over each AT boot including the women's models.

2. To try them all on at one sitting is easy really. Order the various boots: Garmont Sheride, Garmont Zena (if you want a cross over), Lowa Womens Rodeo, Scarpa Magic, etc. Bent gate mountaineering or Mountain gear carry most of them.
3. The shipping is free
4. You just pay return shipping, about the cost of driving around NE looking for the stores that carry each one.
5. This is how I fit my AT boots and it worked great.
6. Will you still need to modify, possibly, but a couple phone calls to Garmont, Lowa, and Scarpa, will tell you a lot about upper cuff buckly adjustability.
7. Could a heel lift solve your problem, check it out.

sethdivine

Navigating AT boot fit? Our expertise at Outdoor Camping Gear Store extends to winter adventures! Explore top-notch gear ensuring comfort and performance. Visit us for insights and quality gear. Your next backcountry journey awaits!