• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

HGTV Dreamhome 2014

gmcunni

the good news is when we have a Tahoe AZ summit i can stuff a bunch of people in the bunk room. and I'll be sure to "upgrade" the couches in the media room to have pull out beds to increase my guest capacity.

Savemeasammy

HGTV’s 18th annual Dream Home, a custom-built, fully furnished home set in the Schaffer’s Mill community of Truckee, Calif., will offer breathtaking panoramic views of the Carson Range that separates California and Nevada.

guess i'll be moving to Tahoe next year, season pass to Alpine Meadows.

http://www.hgtv.com/dream-home/index.html

You should probably have a roommate, so I am willing to volunteer. If possible, I would also like to bring my family along. However, if necessary, I am willing to leave them in NH and keep in contact via facebook and skype. Season passes at Alpine are a must :)

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

bigbog

i wholeheartedly agree, the layout is crappy. i work from home and there is no dedicated office space for me. i'll end up converting space in the larger bedroom upstairs i think. but i'll enjoy living there regardless :)

Also way too much glass(the occasional bear and moose during the rut) + space to be heated.

bigbog

For sure! The network's small print would probably read like UN embargo sanctions.... Shows how much I've read it.... Have gotten called by Quicken Loans...didn't think into it..just said I really don't need a loan right now....:???:. Anyone else gotten a call from them?

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

My gf and I were talking about how this house is ugly as hell. I dont know if it was budget cutbacks or what, but this home was far less impressive than the usual HGTV Dream house.

snoseek

The biggest issue with this home is it's situated on the side of Northstar. 10/10 would sell and buy something more modest elsewhere

Savemeasammy

The biggest issue with this home is it's situated on the side of Northstar. 10/10 would sell and buy something more modest elsewhere

I would be willing to drive from Northstar to Squaw or Alpine! :)

(For the record, I would sell and try to find a more modest place in Tahoe City or somewhere nearby).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmcunni

i didn't win :cry:

This morning the winner of the HGTV Dream Home 2014 Giveaway was randomly drawn from 72,427,440 entries. -

Laura Martin from Boise, Idaho.

[h=2]THE COST OF WINNING[/h]Many of the past Dream Home winners have opted to take a cash prize instead of their home or have ended up selling the home after a few years, at least in part due to the burden of property and income taxes.
If they decide against taking possession of the home, the Martins could opt for an alternate prize of $1.1 million in cash, along with the original $250,000 and the Yukon.
"I want it to be the house that all of my family comes to: my cousins, my uncles and aunts, my mom and dad, my kids. I want everyone to be able to come in for holidays and vacations. I just want it to be where they want to go," Laura said.
The 2013 winner, Carole Simpson, of Columbia, Tenn., has already listed her home on Kiawah Island - 21 miles south of Charleston, S.C. - for sale. The 2,972-square-foot home is listed at $2.4 million.
The Martins will be responsible for paying 39.6 percent of the total value of their winnings to the Internal Revenue Service in taxes, said R.C. Sisson, a certified public accountant in Boise who is not connected to the sweepstakes. That adds up to $831,600 alone, according to Statesman estimates.
They will also owe 13.3 percent on the value of the home to California, according to that state's tax website. Idaho will collect 7.4 percent on the cash and the value of the SUV, Sisson said.
"It's going to be a pretty hefty tax bill," said Sisson, with Chigbrow, Ryan and Co. "When you get in the higher tax bracket, it adds up."
Whittig suggested the couple could opt to stay in Boise, use the Lake Tahoe home as a vacation home and rent it out when they're not using it. That might help pay the income taxes and property taxes.
Not everyone who won past homes through the contest has been a big HGTV fan, Gidding said. It was gratifying, he said, to see that Laura Martin watches the network's shows.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/...oman-wins-21m-home-package.html#storylink=cpy

mriceyman

So basically you win a house you cant afford then have to sell it to be able to pay the state and fed taxes?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

So basically you win a house you cant afford then have to sell it to be able to pay the state and fed taxes?

Correct.

This happens all the time and is in fact the norm, people just dont realize it.

The Federal government is the "winner" whenever one of these houses is given away. You win this house, and the Federal/State government automatically classify you as "rich", put you in the highest tax bracket, and SLAUGHTERS you for it. Probably 99% of people cant cover that nut, and are thus forced to sell the home they "won". Could you instantly come up with $850,000? I know I cant.

A similar tale that's also little known and even worse? You know that, MOVE........THAT.........BUS!!! television show? Same thing.

They build the nicest house in the entire county for those poor (literally) people. Well, there's NO WAY IN HELL those poor families can afford the high tax burden of owning one of the most expensive homes in three counties, and they're forced to move after a year, maybe two. Not exactly the "dream ending" that ABC wants the viewer to take away from the show.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Which is why they offer the cash option instead of the house. Take the $1.35 million, walk away with just under $750k, and you've got nothing to complain about.