• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you know when your hikers are done?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was just wondering this weekend how long one can expect to get good performance out of their boots before they need to be replaced?

I own a pair of Asolo 520 GTX full leather boots with Vibram soles...bought new in 2000 and have used them for five seasons or hiking in the Whites, Greens, and ADK's as well as snowshoeing. The tread is still there...but obviously not quite as aggressive as before. The leather is in really, really good shape. They still are supportive and comfy :D . So how will I know when they're done? Will it be anytime soon? :(

ctenidae

I had a pair of Raichle hiking boots for about 15 years before they finally died. Actully, not so much died as became permanently nasty to the point I didn't want to put my foot in them any more. Too much caving, too little cleaning.

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
Hiking boots are not like running shoes.

Running shoes have a middle cushioning layer that breaks down after a few hundred miles. Since this layer is in the middle of the bottom, the only indication that it's time to get a new pair may be the knee pain, which is why it's important to log your miles and replace them before the pain starts.

Hiking boots may or may not have that cushioning layer, but the principal purpose of the boots is not to soften a high-impact activity, but rather to provide protection, traction and support. You can visually inspect the boot and determine whether it needs replacing, and frankly, the clues are going to be obvious. When there's no tread left, the upper is damaged, or the sole is falling off, it's time to replace the boot.

By the way, I want to plug my shoe guy, and just so there's no misunderstanding, there is no incentive for me to plug him. He's an expert, really cares about his customers, and will go out of his way to set you up with a shoe/footbed combination that fits you perfectly and matches your activity. He specializes in running and hiking boots, but also does every other type of shoe and boot you can imagine. He's in Middletown, NY, and gets busy on the weekends, so if its feasible for you, go during the week.

He also happens to hold the world record for the fastest trans-continental crossing of America by foot, 46 days. A great guy to talk to. For a good laugh, ask him how he proposed to his wife.
http://www.shoe-fitting.com

madman

For me it was last weekend ,my wife wanted to go to EMS for sandals. I looked up to see a pair of Montrail Olympus on sale for 159$down from 235$ if you spent over 100$ you got a 20$ certificate. To good to pass up.My wife and daughter went in on them for my Bday . Dont get much better!