• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How should I transport my skis...roof rack or roof box?

gores95

We have a Ford Windstar and a Jeep Grand Cherokee and are looking for a ski rack or cargo box for the roof and it must be compatible to the factory racks. I think I am leaning towards the Thule 726 roof rack with their fat mouth clamps and locks. Seems to be around $185 for the complete setup and slides out from the roof to loan and unload. As for the boxes, looking at either the Thule Cascade 1100 ($233) and Thule Evolotion 1200 ($332). Major difference between the two is the Evolution MUCH easier to install and remove. All prices are Rackattack.com.

Is it worth the extra $ to get a box? How do these cargo boxes do with wind resitance/mileage in comparison to a ski roof rack? Do you leave these boxes and racks on overnight or take them off and store in the car/hotel etc.? In other words when locked are they secure on the roof? Would you leave the boxes on at the ski mountain?

Lots of questions... :idea:

Thanks,

Marc

sledhaulingmedic

Keep your valuable stix out of the reach of the Shiite storm! Stick them where every good stick should be...in a box! [/tequilla talking]

Seriously. Keep your boards out of the elements. Road salt kills bindings (and ski bases). Dead bindings kill tib/fibs, femurs, etc.. Personally, I don't have a "box", but only because I don't need one. I have a P/U with a cap.

As far as security, I don't think anyone will break into a box sight unseen when they could snatch a known quantity from a roof rack with a sawzall or pair of boltcutters with much less risk.

If you're really concerned, bring your skis inside and dry them off, maybe throw a coat of wax on them. They'll enjoy it. Skis are people too!

B

beswift

racks

Boxes certainly seem the best, but you don't have to think your whole world will fall apart if you use a rack. Personally, I own a couple racks, but I have always had enough room in my vehicle to carry the skiis inside. However, I own and use (when moving skiis) binding covers; you definitely should use binding covers to protect them if you use a roof rack. They don't cost much and do a good job. Most racks have security systems to deter the thieves. As long as you only use the rack when in transit, remove your skiis upon arrival home or at the ski destination, and clean them if necessary, you won't see any noticeable deterioration or loss to theft.

RuffusCorncobb

Box better than rack

If you can afford the extra cost go for the box. Unlike a ski rack a box is handy to have year round because you can put lots of differnt stuff in a box but you are pretty limited as to what will fit in a ski rack. Also a boxt protects your skis & boards better than a rack.

I dont have a box but I often wish I did.

dmc

Get a box!!!
Aside from using them for skis and boards - you can stash all the stinkey boots and clothes from a 5 day Tuckerman Ravine excusion in the box so you don't stink up the car... :D

cyrk007

have you thought of just getting a good boot and ski bag and putting them inside? why add the inconvenience and extra weight to the car. just my .02 :D

gores95

Thanks for all the replies! The box/rack would be for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. With kids in back seat no room for skis. Other vehicle, Ford WIndstar has fold down third seat so skis could go inside.

I am now leaning towards Thule Evolution 1200. Best price I saw was $329. Nice thing about the box...in addition to the skis I could also put poles, boots and other smallish things up there. Also I could use the box for non-ski transport though the 1200 is the smallest Evolution Thule makes.

One last security question. Driving to Vermont from NJ with everything in box. Getting to VT late. No problem leaving the skis in the box overnight, right? Box is secure? I would probably bring boots inside to keep 'em warm! :lol:

THANKS!

B

beswift

Re: Box better than rack

RuffusCorncobb said:
you are pretty limited as to what will fit in a ski rack. Also a boxt protects your skis & boards better than a rack.

I dont have a box but I often wish I did.
The grass is always greener . . . with a rack, you can switch to other sporting equipment. Of course you can take the box off the roof, but you could take the money saved and buy different accessories. The only roof rack I use would be a Windsurfer modified Bic. I own two other racks, a Bic ski rack and a Barricrafter scissor's (fits snowboards) rack. Bic doesn't make racks anymore, but they made good inexpensive ones. Barrycrafter also makes inexpensive ones. I keep all my racks for the price of one Thule, and I don't have to change the attachments. I used to have Bic attachments for a Bicycle, but now I have a good fold-up bikes and a trunk rack. The trouble with on-the-roof bike racks would be clearance.
Getting to VT late. No problem leaving the skis in the box overnight, right? Box is secure? I would probably bring boots inside to keep 'em warm
Keep your poles inside as well. Those handles can feel like icecubes after being left out all night. To answer the question, nothing is ever secure. I'm sure someone has figured out how to detach these boxes. I carry a blanket in my vehicle and when I leave a lot of stuff in it, I cover it over. Somehow, they don't seem to want to discover what is under a brown blanket. I was victim of a smash-and-grab in California once. These people are very impulsive and will steal anything that looks attractive like a ski-box.

dmc

cyrk007 said:
have you thought of just getting a good boot and ski bag and putting them inside? why add the inconvenience and extra weight to the car. just my .02 :D

Cause it's so much more convienient to put a wet ski bag in a car then just unlock a roof box and throw the wet stinkey stuff up there..

gores95

Well I just bought the Thule Evolution 1200. My parents had bought me a leather jacket for Xmas that I did not like so they returned it and instead sprung for the Thule. Not a bad way to get a free box!!

:beer:

The store I ordered it from did not have it in stock but I look forward to using it next week when the family heads for Okemo. Thanks for all the help!

dmc

gores95 said:
Well I just bought the Thule Evolution 1200. My parents had bought me a leather jacket for Xmas that I did not like so they returned it and instead sprung for the Thule. Not a bad way to get a free box!!

The store I ordered it from did not have it in stock but I look forward to using it next week when the family heads for Okemo. Thanks for all the help!

Excellent... you wont regret it...

bigbog

gores,
Looks like a nice decision., although with the lesser of the aerodynamic boxes...there exists a higher level of motivation for good behavior on the part of the kids! :D ....too much mouth from anyone, and it's Up in the Box You GO!.... :lol:

gores95

Re: .....

bigbog said:
gores,
Looks like a nice decision., although with the lesser of the aerodynamic boxes...there exists a higher level of motivation for good behavior on the part of the kids! :D ....too much mouth from anyone, and it's Up in the Box You GO!.... :lol:

Holy cr-p I did not even think of that!! I could put one (or both) of the kids up there for MAXIMUM room....and quiet of course!

Perhaps I should have gone with the 1800 or 2100.....then the wife could've fit up there as well!!!!!!!!

B

beswift

Box

Don't take this like I am trying to rain on your party, but your choice of vehicles made me realize that you would go for the box. The only trouble with the whole set up IMHO would be that you will have a top heavy rig which has more of a tendency to either be blown off the hiway or tip over if you skid into a ditch. The wind presented serious threatening factors when I drove out west. Crossing eastern Colorado or Wyoming can be quite trecherous (not to mention Indiana and Ohio) and drifting snow in the flat plains often changes plans. If you are limiting your excursions to Vermont, then winding up in a ditch should be your main concern.