• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mountain - 04-03-2004

dmc

Date(s) Skied: 04-03-2004

Resort or Ski Area: Hunter Mountain

Conditions: Wet granular/wet powder - Temp in the low to mid 30's - partly cloudy

Trip Report: I Couldn't walk my usual route to the mountain. The water was about 3 feet above the board we use to get across the small stream at the edge of the parking lot. So I drove right up to the first row of the parking lot and was walking up to the Quad("A" chair) about 11:15. Right about that time the rain (that flooded part of the town last night) turned to heavey snow. I walked right up the "the quad" and strapped in. There were MAYBE 50 people skiing..

Did not see all that much damage from the storm.
Hunter_04-03-05_RacersEdge.jpg

Racers Edge

Hunter_04-03-05_Ike.jpg

Eisenhower - Still wall to wall snow.

Hunter_04-03-05_RaceCity.jpg

Looking over at Race City - Park in the background

Hunter_04-03-05_BeltParkway.jpg

Belt Parkway - through the trees..

Hunter_04-03-05_MiddleStation_2.jpg

Further up the Quad there was a big blowout of dirt and ice around the old deck and "middle station"

Hunter_04-03-05_Hellgate.jpg

Hellgate - deep snow, We'll be skiing this until July!!!

Hunter_04-03-05_Clairs_upper.jpg

Upper Claires

Hunter_04-03-05_Clares_lower_3.jpg

Lower Claires - this spot was the only real bare spot

Westway looks bad - I doubt they'll reopen it but it IS still skiable.
Not sure about Anna Purna.. Pretty much rode Claires over and over agin.. The sun came out for a few runs!!! It was amazing. Absolutey nobody out and the sun shining.. :)

After I hit Claires I rode down to look a Lower K27.. It was closed - the runout is in bad shape but I bet they can groom out the bare spots if they want.

Second best run was the Cliff/Racers Edge combo. The bumps had nice spacing so I could cruise fast..

Great day! With a little fresh mixed in between the bumps..
Next weekend is the last weekend of chairs :(
There's still tons of snow...

dmc

goldsbar said:
Wow - looking pretty good considering all of the rain.

A true testiment to the snowmaking capacity and the commitment to make it...

:)

JimG.

Staff member
Hunter rocked yesterday; 2-4" of fresh snow on top of the terrain DMC posted pics of. Really a great day, better than what I expect in April, especially after downpours.

Exit 19 off the NYS thruway was closed as was rt 28 in Kingston. Those neighborhoods were totally flooded, I mean up to the second story windows flooded! Scary scene.

I also noticed that the new sidewalks put in along rt 23A in Hunter got totally trashed by erosion. Those are a total do-over.