• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay 1/20/10

Zand

Date(s) Skied: Wednesday, 1/20/10

Resort or Ski Area: Jay Peak, VT

Conditions: Variable... FOG with light snow showers, 20s

Trip Report:

First time ever at Jay. My first impression is it's a bit overrated, but I need to hit it on a powder day to really form an opinion. It just seemed to me that the glades weren't very long or spacious, something that even Killington is better in that department. Maybe it's because I didn't go off map or was just missing something, but they didn't seem like the premier glades of New England like they're made out to be. Not to say they weren't tons of fun because they were... just saying.

Anyways, overslept by an hour this morning so I didn't get up there for first chair, but I was on skis around 9:45. Headed up the freezer (which, today was one of the calmest and mildest January days you'll see and it was still freezing on that chair) and headed down Ullr's to Beaver Pond. Groomed conditions were good with low traffic today, and Beaver Pond was obviously completely tracked out, but the snow was excellent. A thin spot or 2, but like Burke, one storm away from perfection. The run reminded me of the Nosedive/Gaper woods combo at Stowe. Finished up on Kokomo, which regardless of what the map says, is not a glade.

Hopped on the Tram next and headed for Stateside via Vermonter and Northway. Took the triple up and hit Timbuktu. Nice spacious glade with decent snow, but short. Next run up the triple was to Kitz Woods and Hell's Woods. A nice combo.

After a quick lunch in an EMPTY stateside (me and 4 other people in there), headed up the Bonnie Quad to Canyonland and Bonnie Glade. Another fun combo that had some length to it. Not quite as much snow on that side of the mountain, but still good enough.

Next ride up the Quad, I looked at Vertigo, but it looked ugly from the top so I stayed on River Quai which was an icy mess in some spots and decent in others. Tough in the fog to see the snow and know when a patch of ice was coming. At the bottom of that I crossed over to the 360 park which had jumps that were more "my size" (aka not nearly as big as the monstrosities that Wachusett builds).

Another Freezer trip and I stayed underneath for most of the run. Only time Ieft the liftline was to hit Expo glades which were pretty fun. Lots of lines in there. Finished up in the park again. Took another Beaver Pond run after that including a lead in on Poma Line which wasn't great.

Next run off the Freezer was Everglade. Steep and tight, but I thought the first 1/3 or so was more like a narrow chute than a glade as I couldn't find much for lines other than the one main one. After that it opened up and was nice. Good steep run though.

Got perfect timing to the bottom when the Tram was rolling in, so I headed to the top to try out Valhalla. Another good steep one... even managed to get snagged by a snow snake. The ski that caught didn't release so now I have an overstretch hamstring, but nothing too bad. From there I went down Taxi to Show-off glade. Very tracked out with a practical mogul field among the trees.

Next up off the Bonnie Quad was Upper Can-Am, a steep groomer, to Liftline. Some bumps to play in, but no good lines to get a good rhythm on. Took a Goat Run/Expo Glade/Park combo run after that.

Finished up with one more trip through Beaver Pond. Had to leave at 3 to be back for a 4:30 class. Wish I could've stayed the last hour, but oh well, I hit most of what I wanted to. Missed some things... theres always next time. I'll be frequenting Jay much more next year as I'll likely be getting the Triple Major pass.

Next few days for me are Burke Friday afternoon, Sugarbush Saturday, and Burke Sunday. Hopefully the rain Monday is minimal.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Wow. Well, J is all about the snow. If it isn't dumping, I agree that it is a descent Mtn. Waht really makes it special is coming down off the face somewhere and into those glades you were running today. Makes for a much longer run. Supriesed you found the woods to be tight. Maybe a bettrer way to say it was that they were fast. Get in there with good snow and I think you will be going alot straighter and find them to be pretty much blue square trees. at least compared to Stowe and MRG type places.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Good points from JD, especially regarding the glades skiing "fast". Jay is definitely not tight but the steeper glades are a pain when the snow is bad. I never ski Vertigo, Deliverance, Staircase, etc. when there is not at least a foot of untracked. I have not yet been up to Jay this season and am anxiously awaiting for them to get slammed.

Zand... give Jay a go after some fresh snow and you may change your mind about their glades. Jay's glades are generally not overly long but you can connect them nearly to top bottom once you get to know the mountain and how to work the shots, especially when you get off the map. Just start exploring. If you see an opening in the woods... go for it. To the best of my knowledge... there are only four trails between which there are not skiable trees.

That said, Jay is a mountain best skied with fresh snow. Even then, you gotta learn how to work the mountain because it goes quick.

Zand

The only ones I found to be tight were Everglade and Valhalla. They definitely were skiing fast and I can imagine they'd be sick on powder days. Believe me, I didn't find them bad in any way, I was just a bit underwhelmed as I always read that they're among the best, so I was comparing them to Stowe, Killington, MRG, etc. Like you two said, I'll have to try it again on a powder day and I definitely gotta try some off map stuff. I spent most of today rushing through everything as well as I was trying to hit as much as I could in 5 hours, so next time I'll slow down and look around a little more and see what hidden things I can find.

TheBEast

I would generally agree, Jay is all about the snow. Their groomers are a yawn and tend to really get scrapped off on a higher traffic weekend with really only a few intermediate type trails down. Once you learn the mountain linking all the glades together is a blast! Have fun out there!