• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak - 1/7/2005

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Friday, January 7, 2005 - 9:10 AM - 3:30 PM

Resort or Ski Area: Jiminy Peak, Hancock, Massachusetts

Conditions: Packed loose granular (is that possible?), LGR, some hardpack, very little ice. Snow squall early, then clouds, and then sun behind high clouds. WINDY until 10:30 AM then calm.

Trip Report: I first hit the snow squalls in Pittsfield on my way to Jiminy Peak and was excited to see Corey Road getting covered. I was hopeful we would see a few inches out of these wrap-around squalls, but that wouldn't be the case. No matter, still a superb day at the mighty Jiminy Peak. I arrived at the mountain slightly before 9 AM and got on ski about 9:10 AM.

It was still squalling when I boarded the Berkshire Express, but nothing really accumulated. The summit was extremely windy, but the winds subsided significantly after 10:30 AM. I hit most every open run numerous times and the conditions were similar throughout - kind of a strange pack granular snow that loosened up nicely throughout the day. Skier's left off the top half of Jericho, and skier's right once you reach the pines on the right were top notch with in places a foot of sweet sugar snow. Wild Turkey was similar. Cutter (Jiminy's "bump" run) was ungroomed yet edgeable. It seemed the mountain only saw a slight icing over the 6" inches of snow and sleet from Thursday. IMHO, Cutter is a bad choice for a designated bump run as it will see no sun until late March.

There was sporadic snowmaking around the mountain and they were really concentrating on Whirlaway. I normally like the West side of the mountain - North (not-a-)Glade, and the Foxes, but I was reallly digging Jericho, Turkey and Cutter more today. I tried the new summit trail, Roundabout which was thin, but better than Outback in that it keeps somewhat of a pitch. It's a nice alternative for reaching Cutter off the six.

I did ski Outback once today which was a bit eery knowing the fate of that snowboarder last Sunday. There were some sections of bulletproof ice, but I don't know what effect that had on the accident. I do know that it was closed much of this week, possibly to resurface. I don't see myself taking this trail again. The planning for it was very poor with half of it being flat at best; actually a bit uphill towards the end.

I skied hard all dy and concentrated on making short controlled turns on the sides of the trails. I must have done 2 dozen runs+ so I definitely feel it tonight. All in all a great day. I still have a smile on my face from my runs down Jericho especially.

Click HERE for pics!

tirolerpeter

Jiminy 1/7

Hey Greg your pictures are great. It feels like you took them through my eyes! One of the guys I hooked up with (I didn't know them, but when I am alone I tend to "shadow" someone to get a read on their ability and style and then I "meet" them "accidentally " on the lift line to check their "sociability" quotient.) actually tried to reach up to clear the snow off the "JERICHO" sign at the top of the trail. After a few runs, someone did manage to expose it. Were you on WILD TURKEY when the young woman went into the woods? We "helped" by "schussing" (Isn't that a valid excuse to attempt terminal velocity?) to the base to alert the patrol. We noticed a little later that she ended up OK but got a lift down on a snowmoble. She must have lost her confidence. As temps rose, we had to really avoid the guns to keep our goggles clear. I have to find out where to get one of those little "goggle wiper blades" that I saw someone wearing at Killington a couple of weeks ago. It is a small soft rubber scraper that has a hole in it so that you can hook it around your thumb and then just slide it across your faceplate when you get slapped with spray! I never got on OUTBACK because the group had done it and said it was a "walker." Once you knew where the "thin" spots were, conditions were good enough for both "dancing around" on the edges and some flat out "way over on your edges" GS turns. Great report!

Greg

Staff member
Yeah, I saw the woman sitting up with Ski Patrol off trail on Turkey late in the day. She seemed like she was going to be okay.

Fun day indeed and your conditions assesement of the choice between screaming down the trail centers or dancing around on the edges was right on. I'm hoping today's weather event is remaining snow as I may head back up tomorrow...