• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak 12/3-4

Sparky

December 3-4

Jiminy Peak

Man made, and they were making all day

Last weekend was so good it’s hard to put this weekend in perspective. Once you conceder the rain and temperatures of the past week I guess you would have to say it was a decent weekend. A lot of folks were surprised to see the place was even open. It may be a relatively small mountain, but their snowmaking is right up there with the big boys. They had North and Lower Glade, Upper and Lower Slingshot, 360, 180, West way Grand Slam, Cricket and left Bank open. They were making snow all over the mountain, so artificial whiteouts were not uncommon. The best run of the day was North Glade even with the whiteouts. Upper West Way was rather narrow at the top and got skied off by the afternoon. There was also a narrow section on Grand Slam, but that was due to snowmaking. By the way a lot of the man made snow was very wet (I’m told this is to make a firm base) so you had to be careful to avoid a double eject face plant sort of thing. It was not crowded at all, I didn’t have to wait in a lift line all day.

Greg

Staff member
Looks like they're not reopening until Thursday... :blink: Indeed, Jiminy is the snowmaking capitol of the Berkshires, but it seems like they're not as agressive so far this season as in year's past. Maybe last week's rain/warmup just really killed it all and they had to start over..?

Sparky

They did lose a lot over the week. They a planning on running 210 guns this week. That will be a record for them. The lower temps. make it economically fesible and effective to run that many guns at the same time.